BCI Eclipse (now defunct)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
manicsounds

BCI Eclipse (now defunct)

#1 Post by manicsounds » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Navarre shuts down BCI Elipse - Corporation looks to reduce costs due to recession

With Navarre shutting down BCI Eclipse, and no certainties on their future or back catalog, maybe its time to snatch up the good ones now.

What are some of their good releases?

I have Kurosawa's "The Quiet Duel", containing all the special features from the Japanese disc, "Ultraman" the 1966/1967 series, I know of their grindhouse double feature discs but haven't seen any.

Tommaso

Re: BCI Eclipse (defunct now)

#2 Post by Tommaso » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:37 am

I have no further recommendations, but would definitely advise anyone mildly interested in it to get "The Quiet Duel" as soon as you can, before it's too late. The BCI by all accounts is far superior to the R2 (and cheaper on top of it), and the film has increasingly become one of my favourite early Kurosawas. Fantastic and heartfelt Mifune performance.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Tommaso wrote:I have no further recommendations, but would definitely advise anyone mildly interested in it to get "The Quiet Duel" as soon as you can, before it's too late. The BCI by all accounts is far superior to the R2 (and cheaper on top of it), and the film has increasingly become one of my favourite early Kurosawas. Fantastic and heartfelt Mifune performance.
Seconded. If you are a fan of Kurosawa's "modern" films, the BCI Eclipse DVD of Quiet Duel is as much a must-have as any of the Criterion and Eclipse releases.

masterofoneinchpunch

#4 Post by masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:54 pm

manicsounds wrote:Navarre shuts down BCI Elipse - Corporation looks to reduce costs due to recession

With Navarre shutting down BCI Eclipse, and no certainties on their future or back catalog, maybe its time to snatch up the good ones now.

What are some of their good releases?...
The Quiet Duel is a must have (like several have mentioned -- even has liner notes by the slightly acerbic Stuart Galbraith IV.)

Now if you are into obscure and esoteric martial art films then Rarescope (under the BCI Eclipse label) has some interesting ones (mostly Taiwanese wuxia films, a rare Jackie Chan film and my favorite Drunken Dragon starring Beardy Leung Ka Yan.) Also BCI puts out some rare Tony Ja films (he is not the lead) like Spirited Killer (they are only interesting for collectors of Thai action films).

I just bought the Thai action film Tiger Blade on the label but haven't watched it.

Le Samouraï

#5 Post by Le Samouraï » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:34 pm

BCI also released some Paul Naschy films that anyone into Euro horror should want to pick up.