Lionsgate: The Dead

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nsps

Re: Lionsgate: The Dead

#26 Post by nsps » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:25 am

I guess this is why it's handy to have anyone who knows anything about the film involved in the production and QC. Surely someone must've noticed 10 minutes missing.

jbeall

#27 Post by jbeall » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 am

Honestly, what was Lionsgate thinking????? That goes well beyond disgraceful.

I was psyched to pick up a copy--glad I waited before placing my order. But now we still have to wait for a decent dvd edition.

anvilscepe

#28 Post by anvilscepe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:18 pm

I’ve always wanted to see this film and now that I have the opportunity Lionsgate goes and releases a truncated version.

Should I still have a viewing or wait for a better release to eventually surface?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#29 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I'd probably wait. The scenes in question are important to the film and I have a feeling the reviewer is right in that they'll throw off the flow of the film. But that's just my opinion anyways. I'm definitely holding off. Not even going to Netflix it.

Peacock

#30 Post by Peacock » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 pm

order the Network disk, at least it's not cut. If you must see it, and your not region free you can play it on a computer (download VLC)

anvilscepe

#31 Post by anvilscepe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Thank you for the recommendation Peacock, but I will hold off and do as cdnChris.

jbeall

#32 Post by jbeall » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

anvilscepe wrote:I’ve always wanted to see this film and now that I have the opportunity Lionsgate goes and releases a truncated version.

Should I still have a viewing or wait for a better release to eventually surface?
If you still have a VCR, check to see if your local library has a VHS copy. Those ten minutes are pretty important, regardless of whether or not you've read the source material. FWIW, I showed this to my class last Dec., and they loved it. It's really a fantastic adaptation, and a beautiful film in its own right.

Cold Bishop

#33 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Sundance shows it regularly. Unfortunately, not on the current schedule, but it would probably beat the DVD or a VHS when it does.

jsteffe

#34 Post by jsteffe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 pm

I just want to say thanks for alerting us all to this very serious problem. I just posted a note on the video librarian's listserv warning those who might be considering it for their library collections. It's pretty shocking, in this day and age, to see something like this happen.

mteller

#35 Post by mteller » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Lionsgate wrote:It has come to our attention that due to a technical malfunction, the initial DVD shipment of John Huston's THE DEAD contained an incomplete version of the film. We deeply apologize to all our consumers for this unfortunate error and want to offer them an opportunity to replace their current copies with the complete version as soon as it is available to ship the week of November 23rd. We regret this inconvenience, as Lionsgate is committed to providing our consumers the highest quality home entertainment experience.

All consumers who purchased a copy and wish to receive the new complete version should do one of the following:

• Email lionsgatecs@orderassistance.com with mailing address and a scan/attachment of the purchase receipt

• Fax (310) 222-5562 with mailing address and copy of purchase receipt

• Snail Mail purchase receipt along with mailing address to: Lionsgate "The Dead" Recall, 20102 S Vermont Ave, Torrance, CA 90502-1361

Please call (800) 650-7099 with any additional questions.

I'm sure it's still the same horrible cover, though.

Tommaso

#36 Post by Tommaso » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Still, I think the quick reply of Lionsgate and their offer to replace the first pressing is something that deserves some respect. Compare this to the complete silence of AE about the disastrous second part of "Jeanne la Pucelle", for instance.

jsteffe

#37 Post by jsteffe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:04 pm

mteller, thanks for posting the recall information. Do you have a link to the original website where you found this?

It's encouraging to see that Lionsgate hasn't wasted much time in getting the problem corrected.

mteller

#38 Post by mteller » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 pm

jsteffe wrote:mteller, thanks for posting the recall information. Do you have a link to the original website where you found this?
It was added to the original DVD Verdict review: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/thedead.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MoonlitKnight

#39 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 pm

So if I order it after the 23rd, do you think there's a chance I'll get the correct version...or should I send it back either way to be safe?

perkizitore

#40 Post by perkizitore » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:42 am

November ends and still no sign of the corrected version...

railroaded

#41 Post by railroaded » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:53 am

According to the Michael Movies Mayhem database the DVD has been recalled: http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList.php3?id=167020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And according to the DVD Empire website the new release date is Dec 8 (old date was Nov 3):

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... id=1487717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by railroaded on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

railroaded

#42 Post by railroaded » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:So if I order it after the 23rd, do you think there's a chance I'll get the correct version...or should I send it back either way to be safe?

You could try to sell your copy at Amazon :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Anjelica-Hus ... 869&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#43 Post by perkizitore » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 am

It seems that the only place shipping this (supposed to be the fixed version) is DVDEmpire

jaredsap

#44 Post by jaredsap » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I finally received my replacement disc from Lionsgate today. Haven't checked it yet to make sure the missing footage has been restored.

Cronenfly

#45 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Bought the replacement disc today; its packaging remains unchanged (still says a run time of 73 minutes on the disc/cover art), but the disc itself runs the full 83 minutes. So I guess I just would not buy this particular DVD used/from any third party seller, because there's absolutely no way to tell if the version you have is corrected or not without playing the disc. Lionsgate, you're the best!

onedimension

#46 Post by onedimension » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Same transfer?

Cronenfly

#47 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 am

I was hoping someone else would step in who's seen both versions (as I have not), but I can't imagine Lionsgate gave the transfer any more attention, seeing as they weren't even willing to change the packaging to reflect the corrected run time. All the same, it looks acceptable to my eyes; here are some screen captures:

jaredsap

#48 Post by jaredsap » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:22 am

Cronenfly wrote:Bought the replacement disc today; its packaging remains unchanged (still says a run time of 73 minutes on the disc/cover art)
My replacement, which was sent to me directly by Lionsgate, says 83 minutes on the back cover. Are you sure you bought the right version?

Cronenfly

#49 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm

jaredsap wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Bought the replacement disc today; its packaging remains unchanged (still says a run time of 73 minutes on the disc/cover art)
My replacement, which was sent to me directly by Lionsgate, says 83 minutes on the back cover. Are you sure you bought the right version?
I'm positive that it's the right version (it runs a full 83 minutes); perhaps (hopefully) the one I got is just an anomaly? I purchased it in-store, and there was a post-it note on the display copy indicating that it was the corrected version, despite what the packaging and disc say.

jaredsap

#50 Post by jaredsap » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Cronenfly wrote:I'm positive that it's the right version (it runs a full 83 minutes); perhaps (hopefully) the one I got is just an anomaly? I purchased it in-store, and there was a post-it note on the display copy indicating that it was the corrected version, despite what the packaging and disc say.
Interesting. My new packaging definitely says 83 minutes so let's indeed hope this corrected packaging will soon be found in stores...