94-99 / BD 175-180 Lubitsch in Berlin

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 94-99 Lubitsch in Berlin

#76 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm

peerpee wrote:The video is interlaced because of the non-24fps nature of the films. So if your computer settings are set to "deinterlace", motion and stills present zero combing (the same is true of most modern standalone players/displays).

If your software is not set to "deinterlace" such material properly, stills and motion will be riddled with combing, which gives an unrepresentative picture.
This concept of deinterlacing is new to me. On VLC Media Player, I have several deinterlace options: blend, bob, discard, linear, mean, and x. Does anyone know if one of these options is preferable to the others?

TMDaines

#77 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm

swo17 wrote:
peerpee wrote:The video is interlaced because of the non-24fps nature of the films. So if your computer settings are set to "deinterlace", motion and stills present zero combing (the same is true of most modern standalone players/displays).

If your software is not set to "deinterlace" such material properly, stills and motion will be riddled with combing, which gives an unrepresentative picture.
This concept of deinterlacing is new to me. On VLC Media Player, I have several deinterlace options: blend, bob, discard, linear, mean, and x. Does anyone know if one of these options is preferable to the others?
That tells me you need to update VLC to the lastest version. Those options are all pretty terrible compared to Yadif and Yadif (x2). It is hard to tell whether video is interlaced or not with Yadif.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#78 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks, I'll try that out.

TMDaines

#79 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 pm

So it is interlaced video as opposed to progressive video that has been telecined to adjust the relative fps? Am I right in thinking that these are two different things?

Are all your sub 24/25 fps silents interlaced then? I thought most of them were progessive but telecined or something to adjust the fps?

peerpee
not perpee

#80 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 pm

All SD DVD encodes of films that are less than 24fps have to be interlaced somehow. There are a number of ways of doing it. The real problems arise when interlaced PAL masters are then badly converted to NTSC, which compounds the problems. Luckily, we've never done this.

On SD DVD we typically issue pure interlaced PAL material as PAL encodes and thus, when a player "deinterlaces" it, it looks fine.

TMDaines

#81 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

Ashirg

#82 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 am

peerpee wrote:If you configure your DVD software to handle interlacing properly, you don't see any interlacing, and grabs don't have that combing.
I updated the grabs in the Lubitsch review to remove the interlacing on most of captures.

peerpee
not perpee

#83 Post by peerpee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks, Ashirg!

NeoF

#84 Post by NeoF » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 am

TMDaines wrote:After having watched Ich möchte kein Mann sein, Die Puppe and Die Austernprinzessin I'm wondering if others had widely different experiences with each of them. I personally really enjoyed the first two but was a little cooler to the third.
After watching them for the first time, I felt pretty much the same as you. But I'm going to give Die Austernprinzessin a second chance. Maybe it will grow on me.

doc mccoy

#85 Post by doc mccoy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Nick,

If this has not gone out of print, when can we expect it to come back into stock because it is not available at any online retailer?

manicsounds

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#86 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:18 am

MoC Twitter wrote:Our third release for February will be a re-release of our DVD-only boxset of LUBITSCH IN BERLIN. 6 films by Ernst Lubitsch. ICH MÖCHTE KEIN MANN SEIN [I WOULDN'T LIKE TO BE A MAN] / DIE P¨UPPE. [THE DOLL.] / DIE AUSTERNPRINZESSIN. [THE OYSTER PRINCESS.] / SUMURUN / ANNA BOLEYN / DIE BERGKATZE [THE WILDCAT]
Wait, isn't the Lubitsch set in slim DVD cases already? Is it going to be even slimmer?

neilist

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#87 Post by neilist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 am

manicsounds wrote:Wait, isn't the Lubitsch set in slim DVD cases already? Is it going to be even slimmer?
Mine's certainly slimline. Given that this has been officially OOP for some time yet has remained available direct from Eureka, I expect that this is more of a re-release to sell off existing stock through other outlets rather than a re-pressing, but this is entirely my own assumption.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#88 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 am

I wonder if they might take this opportunity to fix Die Puppe.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#89 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 am

Louis Sclavis' soundtrack to Die Bergkatze would be a great addition too.

Zaki

#90 Post by Zaki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:27 am

Does anyone know at this point whether the Lubitsch in Berlin's "new version" (as it is called on the Eureka Offers page) is different in any way from the previous one? Is it just a reprint? I looked for this info, but could not find it anywhere.

twicebilled

#91 Post by twicebilled » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 am

Zaki wrote:Does anyone know at this point whether the Lubitsch in Berlin's "new version" (as it is called on the Eureka Offers page) is different in any way from the previous one? Is it just a reprint? I looked for this info, but could not find it anywhere.
It's the same except for being repackaged in slimeline dvd cases.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#92 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:13 am

It was originally in slimline DVD cases though (six of them, the width of three standard cases overall). Here's what MoC says:
MoC wrote:Thinner slipcase, consolidated booklet of the essays that used to be in the inner sleeves.
So I'm imagining that they've replaced the slimlines with some kind of multi-disc holder that ends up taking less room. When someone gets a copy of the new printing, please do post pics.

Zaki

#93 Post by Zaki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks Twicebilled and swo.

Eureka

#94 Post by Eureka » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:30 pm

It now comes in 2xAmarays housed in a slipcase, one Amaray is 4xDVD the other 2xDVD and the booklet. Basically saves you 1/3 of the width on the old set.

Stephen

#95 Post by Stephen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am

I am finally making some distance through this set and must say that having watched the first disk I really enjoyed Die Puppe. Outside of Messrs Laurel, Hardy & Chaplin, I don’t think I’ve laughed so much at silent picture. The dollhouse presentation, the suicidal assistant, the not yet chaste monks and the fairytale storybook world that the great man fashioned is just marvellous. But more than this is the discovery in both of the first two films of the sparkling Ossi Oswalda.

I have to wonder how on earth have I lived so long and never heard of this actress. In Die Puppe she is quite a delight, completely mischievous, both cheeky and beautifully playful. The scenes as the misfiring & pretend automaton are wonderful & when she continues with her outrageously rampant dance in the monastery, I had to press pause I was laughing so much. I love the fact that her character never breaks character, constantly enjoys the gag and is completely content to go along with & triumph over any new scenario she is carried along into. The sheer joy of her performance seems to transcend the near century since its portrayal & feels incredibly fresh, spontaneous and bursting with life. I can’t wait to watch her in the Oyster Princess.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#96 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 am

Those first three films are definitely my favorite, especially Die Puppe. As much as I love Lubitsch, I just haven't yet connected with any of his historical/less-humorous stuff (maybe there's a subtle humor there I'm missing, I have to re-watch).

markhax

#97 Post by markhax » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:57 am

Stephen wrote:I am finally making some distance through this set and must say that having watched the first disk I really enjoyed Die Puppe. Outside of Messrs Laurel, Hardy & Chaplin, I don’t think I’ve laughed so much at silent picture. The dollhouse presentation, the suicidal assistant, the not yet chaste monks and the fairytale storybook world that the great man fashioned is just marvellous. But more than this is the discovery in both of the first two films of the sparkling Ossi Oswalda.

I have to wonder how on earth have I lived so long and never heard of this actress. In Die Puppe she is quite a delight, completely mischievous, both cheeky and beautifully playful. The scenes as the misfiring & pretend automaton are wonderful & when she continues with her outrageously rampant dance in the monastery, I had to press pause I was laughing so much. I love the fact that her character never breaks character, constantly enjoys the gag and is completely content to go along with & triumph over any new scenario she is carried along into. The sheer joy of her performance seems to transcend the near century since its portrayal & feels incredibly fresh, spontaneous and bursting with life. I can’t wait to watch her in the Oyster Princess.
Wait till you see Ossi in "I Don't Want To Be a Man"!

Ribs

BD 175-180 Lubitsch in Berlin

#98 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:08 am

LUBITSCH IN BERLIN, a six disc boxset of invaluable films by Germany’s first great director, will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema Series in a 2-disc Blu-ray edition on 11 September 2017. Available to pre-order http://amzn.to/2uO8uy7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Before he arrived in Hollywood to leave his indelible (and inimitable) mark on timeless comedies like Trouble in Paradise and The Shop Around The Corner, Ernst Lubitsch created an expansive body of work in Germany that proved to be as varied in tone as it was sophisticated in its measure of man and woman.
This set collects six restored works from the silent phase of Lubitsch’s career, and casts new light on the director both as a fully-formed comic master, and as a virtuoso of cinematographic technique. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present these six works by Ernst Lubitsch for the first time ever on Blu-ray.
Featuring : Ich möchte kein Mann sein [I Don’t Want to Be a Man] (1918), Die Puppe [The Doll] (1919), Die Austernprinzessin [The Oyster Princess] (1919), Sumurun (1920), Anna Boleyn (1920) and Die Bergkatze [The Mountain Cat] (1921)
“The six in this invaluable box-set show the extraordinary range of his work” – The Guardian
DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES
- High-definition restored transfers of all six films
- Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
- Robert Fischer’s 2006 feature-length documentary Ernst Lubitsch in Berlin: From Schönhauser Allee to Hollywood
- Exclusive concertina score for Die Puppe, by Bernard Wrigley
- PLUS: A booklet containing liner notes for all six features by film-writers David Cairns, Anna Thorngate, and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
Available to pre-order http://amzn.to/2uO8uy7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We don't deserve MoC.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 94-99 / BD 175-180 Lubitsch in Berlin

#99 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:45 am

Surprised they re-release the DVD set to finally do an out-of-the-blue BD upgrade.
Have there been recent restorations of these movies ?

denti alligator

Re: 94-99 / BD 175-180 Lubitsch in Berlin

#100 Post by denti alligator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 am

So awesome to get these on BD!