BD 64 The Tarnished Angels

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Adamg11

Re: BD 64 The Tarnished Angels

#26 Post by Adamg11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes, I received it yesterday morning and got it watched and reviewed straight away! Didn't even look at the press release. Just wanted to get the review up as soon as possible. I know it is only short, however, I'll get a more thorough examination of the film and extras up soon!

manicsounds

#27 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 am

kingofthejungle

#28 Post by kingofthejungle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

Wow. That looks amazing. MOC has really been working miracles to get these great HD transfers out of Universal. Now if only they could get their hands on some Sternberg...

manicsounds

#29 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:56 am

kingofthejungle wrote:Now if only they could get their hands on some Sternberg...
I'm guessing "The Blue Angel" doesn't count since you're thinking of the Paramount via Universal titles?

kingofthejungle

#30 Post by kingofthejungle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 am

manicsounds wrote:I'm guessing "The Blue Angel" doesn't count since you're thinking of the Paramount via Universal titles?
Precisely. Though the MOC Der Blaue Engel is quite beautiful, I want Blonde Venus in 1080p!

bdlover

#31 Post by bdlover » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:29 pm

That looks gorgeous, about as good a transfer as one could hope for, and a relief after the slightly disappointing Touch of Evil transfers. Good price at Amazon now, too!

stagefright50

#32 Post by stagefright50 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:01 am

bdlover wrote:slightly disappointing Touch of Evil transfers.
Said no one ever.

bdlover

#33 Post by bdlover » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:09 am

There's nothing specifically 'wrong' with the Touch of Evil transfers - no obvious DNR, manipulation, etc - but you can see that they were struck from old masters on an out of date telecine machine. It's the best release out there right now, but when this makes its way to Region A I guarantee we'll see a significant improvement in image quality. By comparison, The Tarnished Angels looks as good as I can imagine it ever looking on blu-ray.

warren oates

#34 Post by warren oates » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 am

david hare wrote:But there's no way Universal will release ToE in anything other than 1.85, and only in the final 98 revision. MoC's Touch will remain the only authoritative version anywhere.
Unless, of course, Criterion gets it. Universal has at least been willing to give us both cuts before on DVD, but not in both ARs.

bdlover

#35 Post by bdlover » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:42 am

Having read all the arguments and seen all the versions, I prefer it at 1.85:1, but maybe we shouldn't re-open that old can of worms :-)

Roger Ryan

#36 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Keep in mind that a March 5th TIME article noted that TOUCH OF EVIL was undergoing an in-house restoration this year at Universal. According to the article, Universal only commits to restoring three-to-five titles a year (HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and DOUBLE INDEMNITY were the other two mentioned). Given that, I think the film is staying with Universal.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#37 Post by Drucker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:Keep in mind that a March 5th TIME article noted that TOUCH OF EVIL was undergoing an in-house restoration this year at Universal. According to the article, Universal only commits to restoring three-to-five titles a year (HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and DOUBLE INDEMNITY were the other two mentioned). Given that, I think the film is staying with Universal.
I wonder if this is an example of letting another label test its commercial viability, then deciding that there's a market out there wanting this release. That recently released top 10 selling MOC disc list had this film present.

How anyone could have a negative word about the MOC release, quite possibly the best release of an Orson Welles film, is beyond me.

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Drucker wrote:How anyone could have a negative word about the MOC release, quite possibly the best release of an Orson Welles film, is beyond me.
Criterion's 3-disc "Mr Arkadin" is a contender.

Getting things back to "Tarnished Angels", are all these video extras (including vintage interviews) exclusive to the MoC? Did they make these new interviews themselves? It's been common for them to use existing French/Criterion etc extras on their discs, and very rarely make their own (cost-wise).

bdlover

#39 Post by bdlover » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 am

Drucker wrote:How anyone could have a negative word about the MOC release, quite possibly the best release of an Orson Welles film, is beyond me.
MoC did the best they could with the materials they had access to, but:
Michael Daruty in TIME wrote:These days, we’re using high-quality pin-registered scanners that capture at 6K resolution. For the DVD release, we probably used a high-definition telecine device — which was great technology at that time, but nothing like what we’re using now.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#40 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am

Rupert Pupkin

#41 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

sorry for the slightly technical "out of topic", but do you have some playback problems with this blu-ray ?

I can play it on my stand-alone blu-ray player which is an Oppo (multiregion)
but I can't play it on my stand-alone blu-ray player which is a Sigmatek (multiregion player; a variation of a model which Gary Tooze uses on dvdbeaver).

there's no menu, nothing only the "Sigmatek" logo. The disk starts to load - the blu-ray shows "loading" on its digital LCD screen but nothing shows up. No menu.
And since MoC locked their blu-ray in region B, I can't use the "title" button, or try to go to title "2", etc... "forbidden" appears on screen...
I've tried to bush "stop" button then "play", but it shows "loading" on the LCD screen of the player and nothing appears.

At first I was thinking that my Sigmatek was still in region A (since it can play Criterion). But when it's turn off it becomes region B (and I can play on it all French blu-ray, even those in 1080i, etc...)
So I've tried to play a MoC which I knew was locked "region B" (Silent Running). I saw the "sorry" message about the region B locking. And turn off and play again Silent Running. It worked just fine. So I was sure that my player was in region B status, but the "Tarnished Angels" can't be played at all.
No menus, nothing.
So what did they add for protection ? (my Plasma screen is set in PAL format as well as the Sigmatek blu-ray player)
if you have a hint or something; it's very frustrating... ](*,)

at least I can play it on my Oppo but I can share it with my mother which has the Sigmatek now...

bigP

#42 Post by bigP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:but do you have some playback problems with this blu-ray ?
No problems with playing it on either of my players. I've just got a cheap multi-region Technika and a cheap multi-region Toshiba but both had no worries.

Rupert Pupkin

#43 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

bigP wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:but do you have some playback problems with this blu-ray ?
No problems with playing it on either of my players. I've just got a cheap multi-region Technika and a cheap multi-region Toshiba but both had no worries.
thanks- disk plays just fine on my Oppo
no scratch on the layer of the disk
perhaps it's a firmware incompatibility with the Sigmatek...

Costa

#44 Post by Costa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Does anyone know who has drawn that cover?
it doesn't say anything in the booklet.

Pepsi

#45 Post by Pepsi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:42 pm

The same image is used in an old poster (Spanish), so it could be original art work.

jsteffe

#46 Post by jsteffe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm

It is part of the original artwork. If you look closely at the U.S. poster, it's a detail in the upper right hand corner.