BD 121 The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 121 The Friends of Eddie Coyle

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Coming to the Masters of Cinema Series in January... THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE will be released on 25 January 2016

MichaelB

Re: BD 121 The Friends of Eddie Coyle

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:04 pm

As a footnote, this will contain the last published piece by Mike Sutton, whose booklet essay was submitted mere days before his untimely death last week.

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:As a footnote, this will contain the last published piece by Mike Sutton, whose booklet essay was submitted mere days before his untimely death last week.
Thought that might be the case. Which reminds me, I haven't read the Seconds booklet yet.

Mel

#4 Post by Mel » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 am

Great announcement! Hopefully it will surpass the Criterion in the extra department. I will be waiting for the final specs to arrive.

Landjorden

#5 Post by Landjorden » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:38 am

I'm the unlucky one this time. Just bought the Criterion two weeks ago

Mel

#6 Post by Mel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:18 am

Amazon.co.uk has the specs listed:

SPECIAL FEATURES including:

-Restored, high-definition digital transfer
-English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
-PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Mike Sutton

It looks like it will not contain any on-disk extra's. Criterion has the audio commentary with director Peter Yates as an advantage.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 am

Mel wrote:Amazon.co.uk has the specs listed:

SPECIAL FEATURES including:

-Restored, high-definition digital transfer
-English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
-PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Mike Sutton

It looks like it will not contain any on-disk extra's. Criterion has the audio commentary with director Peter Yates as an advantage.
These are most certainly not the final specs, just the only ones confirmed so far. Eureka have been posting extras like that on Amazon listings and on their own site, but a week or few weeks before the release (sometimes a month or more) have updated us with finalised extras.

The only time they failed to do this was with Fellini Satyricon, where they had to explain why there was a lack of extras (I seem to remember there was trouble with rights, or Criterion withholding their exclusive extras), but did add an optional English dub track that wasn't on the Criterion disc.

So yeah, with that being the exception, I think it's safe to say you should prepare for some other extras to be added to that list closer to the release date.

manicsounds

#8 Post by manicsounds » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:33 am

blu-ray.com review

The 78 minute Yates on stage interview sounds like an excellent addition.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 am

I suspect it will be a more than adequate substitute for the Criterion commentary.

I'm very glad these old BFI interviews are getting more airplay, as there are some real gems there - I was particularly delighted to find a 1991 Roger Corman interview on Signal One's Gassss because I was actually in the audience and remember it very fondly. And the Sam Fuller interview that Eureka dug out for Forty Guns played beautifully against the film.

calculus entrophy

#10 Post by calculus entrophy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:I suspect it will be a more than adequate substitute for the Criterion commentary.
I will probably get both. That Criterion commentary with Yates is so good... I watch this particular film nearly once every couple of months and mostly with his commentary on. Used to live up outside of Boston and he definitely is spot on with what he captured, along with the performances and information. His umm "friend" /advisor he references was likely one of the Martorano brothers from Winter Hill gang (Whitey).

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:55 pm

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I actually wasn't expecting such a somber and understated movie, though there was little that I knew about the film outside of the poster and its sinister tagline. I almost want to say that if you made a character study based on one of the peripheral characters of a popular crime movie (one of the more disposable figures in said movie's world), it would be something similar to this. Mitchum is magnificent. Having become much more familiar with the Boston area in the past 10 years, I think I appreciated this more than I would have before. And it's not just the location but the era that's perfect - the drab banks remind me of the suburban banks I knew as a child, before Bank One/Chase gobbled them all up and regurgitated them into glass enclosures.

I can see why someone like Michael Atkinson would knock Yates's work here - no, he's not in the same class as Cassavetes or even Lumet, but even with a few missteps, he still does a fine job. The most bothersome element may be Grusin's score, which was more appropriate for a TV cop show from that era. Honestly, of all the prolific big-studio-film composers out there, he may be the worst.