BD 154 Queen of Earth

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
ianungstad

BD 154 Queen of Earth

#1 Post by ianungstad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:50 pm

IFC has picked up the rights to Alex Ross Perry's Queen of Earth which premiered at the Berlinale to excellent reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion handled the eventual dvd/blu. Didn't the director provide the top 10 for one of the monthly newsletters recently?

bainbridgezu

Queen of Earth (Alex Ross Perry, 2015)

#2 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:09 pm

French and American trailers for Alex Ross Perry's Queen of Earth with Elisabeth Moss and Katherine Waterston. The French trailer is very good, but I'd avoid the American one -- overlaid with grating faux-grindhouse narration -- like a plague.

That said, if Criterion does handle the release -- though the way they're trying to sell this, I could see it going to Scream Factory (like Duke of Burgundy, also not a Midnight title) -- I wouldn't mind them using some variation of the poster included in the second link, which seems to effectively accomplish what the dismal trailer fumbles around.

I'm reminded of a recent interview with Guillermo del Toro where he explains that he doesn't have trouble getting projects funded because they're expensive or weird, but because he won't employ the winking self-awareness so prevelant these days. Imagine Repulsion or 3 Women advertised with such labored, condescending irony.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:14 pm

I feel like the American trailer kind of kept in tone with Listen Up Phillip, with the same kind of narration. Will be interesting if that device is used at all in this, which wouldn't seem to necessarily fit the kind of psychological thriller this is being marketed as.

bainbridgezu

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#4 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:24 pm

What aggravates me is that while the first trailer has glimmers of uneasy humor, the second one insists on telling me that the film is a thriller which is also funny. And not because of any interior qualities of the work, but because it's 'dumb like old movies.' I was waiting for Robert Rodriguez to elbow me in the side and ask if I got the joke.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Queen of Earth (Alex Ross Perry, 2015)

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Saw this popping up on a few Top Tens here and was looking forward to it despite having a mildly positive if conflicted response to Listen Up, Philip, but I agree this film deserves year-end recognition.. in the negative. This is one of the most secondhand-embarrassing movies in recent memory, where several characters devoid of anything resembling interest interact in situations also carefully removed from areas of interest, and then the critical reception praises the "internal" emotional heft of it all! Have we really forgotten what a Bergman film looks like that we have to settle for this eighth-rate attempt? Moss was quite good in last year's terrific the One I Love, and I know she has her fans from Mad Men and Top of the Lake, but sitting through her in-over-her-head performance was disheartening, like watching someone's kid miss their lines in a school play. Thankfully we also get Patrick Fugit to pop up every now and then to tell the audience Important Character Details in semblance of plot. This is the movie equivalent of that Simpsons joke about listening for the notes a musician isn't playing, only like the guy who hears Lisa Simpson's argument, I'm not buying it. Down there with Dark Places and Serena as one of the year's worst films.

I'm all for letting Perry make title/credit sequences and commission poster art, though, as I'm starting to suspect that's where his true calling lies...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 am

domino harvey wrote:I agree this film deserves year-end recognition..
domino harvey wrote:in the negative[!!!]

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#7 Post by barryconvex » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 am

Have we really forgotten what a Bergman film looks like that we have to settle for this eighth-rate attempt?
they really did pile on the Persona rather heavily....sometimes a director wears his heart on his sleeve and it doesn't bother me and this was one of those movies- i thought it was an admirable attempt and i actually wound up liking it...

PfR73

#8 Post by PfR73 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm all for letting Perry make title/credit sequences
Agree that this film was disappointing, but the titles were beautiful. A large amount of credit for those should go to Teddy Blanks, whose title sequences I often like better than the films to which they are attached (re: Wild Canaries, Two Step, Heaven Knows What)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Since writing the above, I'd discovered that there's a good reason Perry is able to easily commission such great art work for his films-- he's dating the artist!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: Queen of Earth

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:45 am

Coming to MoC in the next quarter

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Who has the rights to The Color Wheel in the UK? I can't imagine that MoC wouldn't be willing to kiss their own sisters on the mouth to be able to get their claws on that one.

rapta

#12 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Nobody has the rights to it as far as I'm aware, and it never saw cinematic release. When Eureka announced they had Listen Up Philip, some speculated at the time that they might try and acquire The Color Wheel too, but that hope fizzled out after a short while. I'm just happy to see Eureka are being brave enough to tackle another Perry film (I can't imagine they're huge sellers), and arguably a more difficult sell to the MoC audience. Perhaps if it does well they'll be encouraged enough to go back and grab The Color Wheel and/or Impolex (maybe even as a double bill release, or perhaps just the latter as an 'extra' on Queen of Earth).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:08 pm

This is fabulous news. Will be my first import in quite a while since I cut down on buying discs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm

rapta wrote:Nobody has the rights to it as far as I'm aware, and it never saw cinematic release. When Eureka announced they had Listen Up Philip, some speculated at the time that they might try and acquire The Color Wheel too, but that hope fizzled out after a short while. I'm just happy to see Eureka are being brave enough to tackle another Perry film (I can't imagine they're huge sellers), and arguably a more difficult sell to the MoC audience. Perhaps if it does well they'll be encouraged enough to go back and grab The Color Wheel and/or Impolex (maybe even as a double bill release, or perhaps just the latter as an 'extra' on Queen of Earth).
While we're waiting, the limited edition R1 DVD for the Color Wheel (including Impolex) is great and comes inside a nice full-sized book. It's far and away the best thing Perry's ever done

rapta

#15 Post by rapta » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:21 am

Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EYN5N9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently set for July 11th, and will be a Dual Format Edition (much like Listen Up Philip).

What A Disgrace

Re: BD 154 Queen of Earth

#16 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Apparently this has a booklet and a commentary, but not even Eureka is advertising this.

What A Disgrace

#17 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 pm

http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/reviews ... theur.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A 20 page booklet and a commentary are included, but it took a Sex Gore Mutants review of the disc to confirm the former, and a handful of reviews mention the latter, but Eureka never advertised these once. I am confused as to why Eureka has not been properly advertising these and other supplements; Conversation Piece includes an hour long documentary which only came to light when the DVDBeaver review arrived.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#18 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Maybe they think if they mentioned it, it would be bragging.

rapta

#19 Post by rapta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:47 pm

That is a bit odd. My guess is that they honestly just forgot to update it. Coincidence that Kevin just left?

To be clear, I have a copy in-hand (won it a couple of weeks ago!) and these are the actual full specs:
  • High-definition presentation on the Blu-ray
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hand of hearing
  • 5.1 surround and stereo soundtrack options
  • Audio commentary with writer/director Alex Ross Perry and actor/producer Elisabeth Moss
  • Behind-the-scenes footage
  • Theatrical trailer
  • A 20-page booklet featuring a new essay on the film by author and cinema programmer Jason Wood, and production imagery
To be fair, a booklet comes as standard with all MoC titles (and Eureka Classics too, right?), so it was just the details that were omitted. But you're right, a commentary is obviously a good selling point (with Elisabeth Moss no less), especially for a film like this that might be a bit of a gamble sales-wise.

NB. I had actually predicted that Eureka would not have the balls to release this one after Listen Up Philip, and instead it would go straight to DVD from Metrodome (or similar), so was very happy to be proven wrong!

M Sanderson

#20 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:31 am

This film was outstanding, the best release of the year by Eureka in my eyes. The titles are the same as Marriage of Maria Braun, I think. Felt that it plays very well with such Altman movies as Three Women and Images, its predecessors as psychological movies involving the problem of identity for its female characters. Loved the use of the telephoto lens.

zedz

#21 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:Saw this popping up on a few Top Tens here and was looking forward to it despite having a mildly positive if conflicted response to Listen Up, Philip, but I agree this film deserves year-end recognition.. in the negative. This is one of the most secondhand-embarrassing movies in recent memory, where several characters devoid of anything resembling interest interact in situations also carefully removed from areas of interest, and then the critical reception praises the "internal" emotional heft of it all! Have we really forgotten what a Bergman film looks like that we have to settle for this eighth-rate attempt?
I just caught up with this film and was about to write that it came across as falling between Bergman and George Kuchar, which is the kind of tonal no-man's land one would hope might be a deliberate stylistic choice, but which seems to be purely hapless in this instance. The psychodrama was oddly inevitable (since everybody's some kind of psycho from the get-go) and arbitrary (since none of the characters registered as plausible for an instant). Rather than being a moving human drama (which I assume is what they were going for) all you get is the unedifying spectacle of arseholes being arseholes to other arseholes, plus the occasional florid freakout for bystanding arseholes to stare blankly at. I found it watchable in the car crash sense, and in the way it harked nostalgically back to poor amateur films from a prior era.

knives

#22 Post by knives » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Like Domino and Zedz this wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I would like to say that as music the score here is amazing. I think it emphasizes the 'this will be a horror movie' angle a little too early, but it's beautiful to listen to all the same.

manicsounds

#23 Post by manicsounds » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:11 am

This title seemingly disappeared from Eureka’s site and not available on Amazon or other places? I assume out of print, but is there a reason why it’s not even listed by them anymore?

therewillbeblus

#24 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:14 am

Weird, seems to be OOP without many (any?) options from third-party sellers on a cursory internet search

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:28 am

manicsounds wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:11 am
This title seemingly disappeared from Eureka’s site and not available on Amazon or other places? I assume out of print, but is there a reason why it’s not even listed by them anymore?
Unfortunately, that's how Eureka generally treat their OOP titles