BD 155 Paths of Glory

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
rapta

BD 155 Paths of Glory

#1 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:27 am

September 19th
PATHS OF GLORY, Stanley Kubrick’s First World War masterpiece starring Kirk Douglas, as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK on 19 Sept 2016.

A shattering masterpiece by one of the medium’s greatest artists, Stanley Kubrick’s Paths of Glory announced the definitive arrival of a towering figure in cinema.

In the French front lines of World War I, after giving the order for an impossible and disastrous mission to capture a nearby stronghold, the upper ranks move to save face by having three randomly selected soldiers held and tried for cowardice under pain of death. Their leader, Colonel Dax (in a powerhouse performance by Kirk Douglas) a former lawyer in civilian life, handles their defence against overwhelming odds.

A stylistically astonishing, emotionally overwhelming anti-war drama, Paths of Glory is one of the screen’s most brilliant condemnations of the power structures guiding warfare. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present a new Blu-ray edition for the first time in the UK, with a plethora of special features!

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High-definition digital presentation
• New video interview with Kubrick scholar Peter Kramer
• New video interview with filmmaker Richard Ayoade
• New audio commentary by film scholar Adrian Martin
• Original theatrical trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
• Isolated music & effects track
• PLUS: A booklet featuring the words of Kubrick, and more!

FakeBonanza

Re: BD 155 Paths of Glory

#2 Post by FakeBonanza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:31 am

That is a double dip-worthy slate of special features.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 am

It's a bit too bad they're releasing it so late on BD : I watched the Criterion BD a few weeks ago and the restoration is rather dated now and it shows.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 am

The Giddens commentary on the Criterion is excellent and worth holding on to, imho.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Pity it doesn't seem to be a new transfer or I'd have replaced the Criterion. Still, a fantastic choice from MoC.

manicsounds

#6 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:01 pm

yoloswegmaster

#7 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:51 am

Eureka are hinting at a 4K release coming in February

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 am

I do hope they'll include a remastered BD along it.

Finch

#9 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:34 am

Well, that's the Criterion BD and Kino UHD going into the pile to sell off to Orbit! I hope they have not requested another floating heads collage from Tony Stella. Tony is capable of so much more than those, yet Eureka seem to always commission the same type of artwork.

ryannichols7

#10 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:09 pm

I will keep the Criterion, cause there's good extras on there for sure, and a pretty good commentary unique to their edition. hopefully can fetch decent coin for my slipcovered KLSC disc...

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 am
I could be wrong but I think all of their UHDs have been 4k only so far. Caligari, Police Story 1-3 and Touch of Evil had no BDs included.

4LOM

#12 Post by 4LOM » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:26 am

Finch wrote:
tenia wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 am
I could be wrong but I think all of their UHDs have been 4k only so far. Caligari, Police Story 1-3 and Touch of Evil had no BDs included.
I think that THE SEVENTH SEAL was the only UHD BD / BD set.

yoloswegmaster

#13 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:48 am

The Seventh Seal was from BFI, not Eureka.

4LOM

#14 Post by 4LOM » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:42 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:The Seventh Seal was from BFI, not Eureka.
Sorry, of course.

Finch

#15 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:07 pm

SYNOPSIS
A shattering masterpiece by one of the medium’s greatest artists, Stanley Kubrick’s Paths of Glory announced the definitive arrival of a towering figure in cinema.

In the French front lines of World War I, after giving the order for an impossible and disastrous mission to capture a nearby stronghold, the upper ranks move to save face by having three randomly selected soldiers held and tried for cowardice under pain of death. Their leader, Colonel Dax (in a powerhouse performance by Kirk Douglas), a former lawyer in civilian life, handles their defence against overwhelming odds.

A stylistically astonishing, emotionally overwhelming anti-war drama, Paths of Glory is one of the screen’s most brilliant condemnations of the power structures guiding warfare. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present a new Ultra-HD Blu-ray edition for the first time in the UK.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Scott Saslow [2000 copies]
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation, presented in Dolby Vision HDR from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
Audio commentary with film scholar Adrian Martin
Video interview with Kubrick scholar Peter Kramer
Video interview with filmmaker Richard Ayoade
Interview with critic / author Richard Combs
Optional English SDH
Original theatrical trailer
Isolated music & effects track
A collector’s booklet featuring writing by Glenn Kenny, the words of Kubrick, and archival imagery

Finch

#16 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:25 pm

Seems like Amazon will license some MGM titles to UK labels for 4k at least, given that we're getting Paths of Glory from Eureka, Carrie from Arrow and The Amityville Horror from 88 in Q1 2024. Makes me glad I didn't buy more of the Kino MGM UHDs at this point!

rapta

#17 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:59 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Seems like Amazon will license some MGM titles to UK labels for 4k at least, given that we're getting Paths of Glory from Eureka, Carrie from Arrow and The Amityville Horror from 88 in Q1 2024. Makes me glad I didn't buy more of the Kino MGM UHDs at this point!
Yes, this and Thelma & Louise from Criterion UK too. Good news as I was starting to think that well was running dry! Be interesting to see who gets what going forward, and I hope it's not just all upgrades (would love to see some alternative editions to the recent Kino Lorber and Criterion US monopoly on MGM licensing; both The Dollars Trilogy and The Great Escape would suit MoC perfectly, for example).

hearthesilence

#18 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:48 am

Unless the encode's substantially better (and maybe if the commentary's great), I'll probably stick with my Kino UHD and Criterion BD.