BD 156 The Man from Laramie

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

BD 156 The Man from Laramie

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Adrian Martin has confirmed he will be providing a commentary track for a future MoC edition of Anthony Mann's western

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming: the Man From Laramie

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Does MoC now have a deal with Columbia, or is the film owned by a different entity in the UK?

4LOM

#3 Post by 4LOM » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:27 pm

The DVD was from Columbia/Sony.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Manny Karp

#4 Post by Manny Karp » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

What does all that mean for possible MOC discs of the other Mann/Stewart westerns?

And I would kill for an MOC release of the Boetticher/Scott films, too.

feihong

#5 Post by feihong » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:49 pm

I would like "Bend of the River," please.

I won't regret buying this one again with Adrian Martin talking about it.

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 am

Oh. My God. Sony licencing titles out to other labels? Miracles never cease. Excellent choice by MoC. Maybe they can wrestle The Naked Spur from Warner's hands (if Warner have the British rights).

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Finch wrote:Oh. My God. Sony licencing titles out to other labels? Miracles never cease. Excellent choice by MoC. Maybe they can wrestle The Naked Spur from Warner's hands (if Warner have the British rights).
I was surprised too! I guess they've licensed to Twilight Time, Criterion and Image Entertainment in the US, and have licensed a few times to UK labels (e.g. Second Sight with The Flight of the Navigator/Short Circuit), so why not Eureka?

I wonder if this means more than just one Sony title? I'm assuming so. Dream MoC titles for me would include some Sony titles: sex lies and videotape, Adaptation, Starman, The Last Detail, Body Double, The Lady from Shanghai, Images, Papillon, The Big Heat, Christine, The Anderson Tapes, Hard Times, Donnie Brasco, Fat City, California Split...

And perhaps for Eureka Classics, something like Mysterious Island? Or perhaps Gattaca?

rockysds

#8 Post by rockysds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 am

TMDaines

#9 Post by TMDaines » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:52 am

rockysds wrote:December 5th - amazon
Cheers, zedz. One for the team there.
zedz wrote:
TMDaines wrote:The Warner Hitchcocks are €7.34 and their Bogarts €8.82 at Amazon.es. Plenty of their other classic Blu-rays that never made it to the UK are cheap too, including Warner Archive titles.
Great tip, thanks. They also have the BluRay of The Man from Laramie for under 10EUR - about a quarter what you'd pay for the Twilight Time version.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Man From Laramie

#10 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 am

It's his own fault, I shared this info as soon as I got the okay to do so months ago!

aewb

#11 Post by aewb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:58 am

TMDaines wrote:
zedz wrote:
TMDaines wrote:The Warner Hitchcocks are €7.34 and their Bogarts €8.82 at Amazon.es. Plenty of their other classic Blu-rays that never made it to the UK are cheap too, including Warner Archive titles.
Great tip, thanks. They also have the BluRay of The Man from Laramie for under 10EUR - about a quarter what you'd pay for the Twilight Time version.
It's also a bootleg BD-R. Sucks to be you.

zedz

#12 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:25 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Well, somebody had to trigger the announcement!

I did vaguely recall this as being rumoured to be forthcoming from some UK label, but I checked on amazon.uk, found no listing, and figured what the hell.

Finch

Re: BD ?? The Man From Laramie

#13 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Spine number 155.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: BD 156 The Man from Laramie

#14 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:11 pm

156, no?

TMDaines

#15 Post by TMDaines » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:33 am

aewb wrote:
TMDaines wrote:
zedz wrote: Great tip, thanks. They also have the BluRay of The Man from Laramie for under 10EUR - about a quarter what you'd pay for the Twilight Time version.
It's also a bootleg BD-R. Sucks to be you.
Not with a digital product that makes a blind bit of difference to the viewing experience though.

manicsounds

#16 Post by manicsounds » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:55 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:03 am

Ugh, with a nice 2.0 track now I actually have a reason to double dip. Twilight Time is the gift that keeps giving.

lzx

#18 Post by lzx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 am

Is Svet reviewing Eureka titles randomly now?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#19 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:19 am

lzx wrote:Is Svet reviewing Eureka titles randomly now?
Svet has been randomly reviewing stuff lately.

He's getting later and later on Criterion newest releases : the WCP 2 set only has Revenge reviewed (chosen probably because Svet also reviewed the UK version), Jeanne Dielman, the Marseille Trilogy and Cameraperson still aren't reviewed, he is going through the War Trilogy at a very slow pace, and Straw Dogs and Lost in America also aren't reviewed yet.

I have no idea what is going on in terms of his priorities handling : according to the dates on Beaver's reviews, the WCP discs have been available for 2 months, the Jeanne Dielmann's too, the Marseille and Straw Dogs since mid-May...

In the meantime, he wrote reviews for 12 months-old releases like the german Brannigan release, Olive's Uptown Girls or American Ninja 4, and even older releases like the Cult Epics Nekromantik or the Koch The Wanderers one, which are both from 2014

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:01 pm

His notorious review of Arrow's Thieves' Highway was something like six months late, making it utterly inexplicable why he emailed Arrow to ask about what he wrongly assumed were "mastering errors" and didn't wait for their reply explaining that the jump-cuts were sadly unrestorable Production Code censorship that afflicted every release of the film (including Criterion's DVD).

This is what really baffles me about that incident: it's not that he didn't bother to do any research, it's that he didn't wait for a response, which he was unlikely to get on a Sunday. And equally inexplicable is the fact that his review remains factually inaccurate to this day (his "update" merely shifts the blame from Arrow to Fox, ignoring the fact that there were no "mastering errors" in the first place), even though he was made fully aware of his mistake on the day that the piece appeared, both by Arrow and a fair number of forum users.

M Sanderson

#21 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 am

Does it still have no rating for Video quality?

On another note, I noticed that he has failed to mention encoding problems pointed out by others in Criterion and Studio Canal releases.

ChunkyLover

#22 Post by ChunkyLover » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:45 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 am
On another note, I noticed that he has failed to mention encoding problems pointed out by others in Criterion and Studio Canal releases.
It's a shame that Eureka gave this one to Silversun for encoding. It can be generally fine in-motion but darker areas can look poor.