BD 151 Kes

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 151 Kes

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:07 am

Ken Loach’s quintessential portrait of working-class Northern England and his most beloved and influential film, will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema Series, in a definitive Blu-ray special edition on 7 November 2016.

One of the most beloved and iconic British films of all time (voted in the top 10 of all time by the British Film Institute), Ken Loach’s breakthrough cinematic feature Kes is a cornerstone of naturalistic filmmaking whose influence is felt up to the present day.

Portraying with remarkable detail and empathy the day-to-day existence of a working-class 15-year-old boy in Barnsley (an unforgettable performance by David Bradley), and the profound change that the rearing of a kestrel brings to his otherwise troubled home life, Kes has enchanted generations of viewers since its release.

A rich, gently poetic work, filled with Loach’s trademark respect for his characters and astonishing skill at eliciting outstanding performances, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film in a definitive Blu-ray edition special edition.

Special Features to include:
Beautiful high-definition restoration, supervised by Ken Loach and director of photography Chris Menges | Uncompressed PCM audio | Original British soundtrack and international, partially dubbed soundtrack | Original theatrical trailer | New and archival interviews with cast and crew | A booklet featuring new writing on the film and archival material

More exciting new and archival special features to be announced soon!

L.A.

Re: BD 151 Kes

#2 Post by L.A. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:29 am

Special features:

- Digital restoration of the film, supervised and approved by director Ken Loach and director of photography Chris Menges, with the filmmaker’s original production soundtrack, with uncompressed monaural audio on the Blu-ray edition
- Alternate release soundtrack, with post-dubbed dialogue
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Exclusive new video interviews with actor David Bradley, producer Tony Garnett, director of photography Chris Menges, composer John Cameron, actor Bernard Atha, and kestrel advisor Richard Hines
- Excerpts from the 2006 Kes reunion panel at the Bradford Film Festival, featuring Ken Loach, Tony Garnett, writer Barry Hines and actor Colin Welland
- Extensive 1992 on-stage interview at the NFT with Ken Loach, interviewed by Derek Malcolm
- Original theatrical trailer

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:32 am

Beaver.

Incidentally, the specs posted above don't tell anything like the full story, which is that the extras total four hours of viewing. Eureka also decided to include the whole of the 2006 Kes reunion panel, not just the originally promised excerpts.

Randall Maysin

#4 Post by Randall Maysin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 am

what's in the booklet? can you tell us

GaryC

#5 Post by GaryC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:03 am

This is the second release in a week featuring a Guardian lecture I was in the audience for - the other is Arrow's Dekalog boxset. I don't have a copy of Kes yet, so don't yet know if you can see me.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:40 am

I don't think there are any shots of the audience.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:47 am

Maybe GaryC is Ken Loach tho

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am

He isn't - I've met both.

Granted, not in the same room at the same time, but there's not much physical resemblance.

GaryC

#9 Post by GaryC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:36 pm

And he's three years younger than my Dad.

GaryC

#10 Post by GaryC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:36 am

There are indeed shots of the audience in the Ken Loach interview, and at 51 minutes you can see me - bottom of frame, wearing a grey and white jumper.

CSM126

#11 Post by CSM126 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 am

Well shoot, I was on the fence about ordering this before, but now it's a must!

Why yes, Mr. Amazon I do wish to pay for expedited overnight air shipping! That jumper sounds like it's to die for!