BD 158 Two Rode Together

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 158 Two Rode Together

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:36 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: BD 158 Two Rode Together

#2 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:15 pm

And of course, I bought it during the latest TT sale. #-o

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3 Post by Drucker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:36 pm

I was about to buy the TT. Glad I held off!

rockysds

#4 Post by rockysds » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 am

Amazon wrote:SPECIAL DUAL FORMAT FEATURES including

Stunning High-Definition presentation
Uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Isolated music and effects track
Rebirth – A New and exclusive video essay on the film by Ford expert and scholar Tag Gallagher | New video interview with critic and author Richard Combs
PLUS: A BOOKLET featuring new writing on the film.
Out March 13

AlexHansen

#5 Post by AlexHansen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Definite double dip for me now that there's a Gallagher essay.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Also sold by Gallagher.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#7 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Aside from the scene of the two stars talking by the river, I found this to be one of the absolute worst John Ford films (And I've seen Wee Willie Winkie). But I am tempted just for Tag Gallagher's video essay as well.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#8 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Aside from the scene of the two stars talking by the river, I found this to be one of the absolute worst John Ford films (And I've seen Wee Willie Winkie).
For me, not one of the worst, but disappointing all around. The story material is too much like The Searchers, with none of the panache in the execution. I don't remember Gallagher saying much good about this one in Ford biography (?) - in contrast to Wee Willie Winkie!

M Sanderson

#9 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 am

This film is much more highly regarded in the U.K. than America, it seems.

Recall, I think, Philip French hailing it as a masterpiece and Sight and Sound, in a review for a John Ford DVD box set, calling it a "doozy"of a Western.

manicsounds

#10 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#11 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 am

Rayon Vert wrote:
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Aside from the scene of the two stars talking by the river, I found this to be one of the absolute worst John Ford films (And I've seen Wee Willie Winkie).
For me, not one of the worst, but disappointing all around. The story material is too much like The Searchers, with none of the panache in the execution. I don't remember Gallagher saying much good about this one in Ford biography (?) - in contrast to Wee Willie Winkie!
This was pretty much my assessment of the film last night, which is a shame because there's a lot to like about the film. Richard Widmark is enjoyable, there's some absolutely beautiful scenery and shots, and the story takes unexpected turns in the final act by focusing more on the social issues than a traditional rescue mission (though admittedly, this wasn't exactly handled all that well). That said, the way Stewart's character seems to evolve left my head scratching, and there are a bunch of elements to the story that seem to come out of or go nowhere. Lastly, some of the musical cues are just atrocious, and the assorted moments of zaniness that are accompanied by a "zany" soundtrack are cringeworthy. Beautiful film to look at, a bit off the mark though all around.

tag gallagher

#12 Post by tag gallagher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 pm

My NEW John Ford book!

https://tinyurl.com/lb6krzo

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#13 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am

tag gallagher wrote:My NEW John Ford book!

https://tinyurl.com/lb6krzo
Thank you! Any chance there will be a printed book version?

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 16, 2021 11:36 pm

This was much better than I remembered, refurbishing elements of Ford's own narratives with a tone of downtrodden fatigue. The frequently passionate internal conflicts externalized into a social duo's vibrant collision are portrayed here as nearly-surrendered half-hearted arguments cast into the void of another's deaf ear. The dissolving morals in the dystopian west are exacerbated by two men's intimate histories divided in the present as strangers without overstating the tragedy of this loss. It's all in the eyes, or rather what's missing from their ability to communicate with each other and, in Stewart's case, within himself. I also love how Stewart and Widmark are essentially playing characters that fit the opposite actor's typecasting, demonstrating how displacing this morally bankrupt confusion of western degradation can affect a personality into becoming its opposite, or perhaps revealing true colors buried deep within a socially-procured presentation. Optimistically this switch can also be read as not a switch at all, but a sobering reminder for the audience that people are more complex than the passive shine on their surfaces.

This will be a great film to look at in the Stewart Star project, because it's a perfect output of his tired edgy core, now exhausted and statically coasting in an inebriated existential purgatory, following his 50s transformation of peeling back the psychological layers to elicit these darker corners of his personality. It's far more depressing than the classic anti-Stewart examples, at least for the bulk of the narrative, because of how numb he is to breaking this complacency, or even acknowledging what we, and Widmark, can so clearly see, like an addict blacking out through his own intervention.