BD 169 The Mourning Forest

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.

Pipi

Re: BD 169 The Mourning Forest

#2 Post by Pipi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:36 am

Wish they followed this with a release of "Firefly". This is another of her films with a bunch of festival awards, but for some reason virtually absent from the home cinema market, even on a low quality DVD from some completely unknown label from Japan or one of European countries.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Pipi wrote:Wish they followed this with a release of "Firefly". This is another of her films with a bunch of festival awards, but for some reason virtually absent from the home cinema market, even on a low quality DVD from some completely unknown label from Japan or one of European countries.
Rights problems are responsible for the near-invisibility of her Firefly.

Pipi

#4 Post by Pipi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm

And do you know if there are any chances that these problems could be solved in (more or less) near future?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#5 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Pipi wrote:And do you know if there are any chances that these problems could be solved in (more or less) near future?
Well, no solution in the many years since the film was first made. (Unfortunately, the company, which was owned by her ex-husband, went bankrupt around the time the film was supposed to be released). There have a been a few isolated screenings, but that's about it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 am

Finally got around to watching the new Blu-Ray release. It looks pretty lovely (as one would have hoped). My initial mixed response (back in 2007 or so) is now inoperative; my current feeling is highly positive. Noticed a lot more (gentle) humor (during the first 2/3s at least). Now more appreciative of the performances. I think I still prefer Suzaku, Shara and (now) Sweet Bean -- but have added this one to my (immense) list of uniquely treasurable films.