BD 187 The Old Dark House

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
HerrSchreck

#1 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon May 08, 2006 6:18 am

NY Film Forum recently had a Boris Karloff fest wherein a newly found print was shown, alleged to be far superior to the long-described Only Print In Existence (used for the Kino dvd, and, if my memory serves, was a 16 reduction blown back to 35mm). If I remember correct it was a library of congress print, newly discovered. Anybody see this, particularly those familiar with the older Curtis Harrington-related print.?

Mysterypez

#2 Post by Mysterypez » Mon May 08, 2006 4:37 pm

I have seen a version of the LOC print. That print had some contrast and exposures issues, but I am told that the final restoration that LOC produced is quite nice.

This LOC restoration originates from a Fine Grain Master that was printed directly the Nitrate neg, before it disappeared/decomposed. In fact there are three FGMs that were produced off the nitrate. One end up at Universal (now MIA), one end up at LOC, and one end up at another film archive.

The LOC restoration was done in 1999/2000 so I wouldn't call this newly discovered, just long ignored.

The Kino DVD does come from a 16mm print. And yes Kino did try and access the 35mm material at LOC and this other archive…… but alas no go.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 10, 2006 7:05 am

That's disappointing. I hope someone like eh Universal throws down dvdibs on it. It's too fabulous a film, the ghost of Paul Leni inhabiting Whale (who worshipped Leni, particularly the now super-difficult to see THE LAST WARNING, I've got a friggin wall projection of the thing from years ago).

HerrSchreck

#4 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 10, 2006 8:47 am

Btw do you know what "the other archive" is?

Ribs

BD 187 The Old Dark House

#5 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 am

Finch

Re: Forthcoming: The Old Dark House

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am

The Cohen BD is out in three months and currently on offer for £15 plus change from wowHD. Undecided on whether to keep that pre-order or to wait...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#7 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am

Really have been looking forward to this release, and really looking forward to this edition now.

What A Disgrace

#8 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:04 am

At the very least, the MoC release will have better looking packaging than Cohen.

hearthesilence

Forthcoming: The Old Dark House

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Just announced on Facebook:
A 4K restoration of THE OLD DARK HOUSE is coming to screens in UK & Ireland in March 2018 followed by a Masters of Cinema Dual Format edition later in the year! More details to be revealed soon...
I have this restoration on the Cohen Blu-Ray, which was released in October, and it does indeed look fantastic.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#10 Post by Caligula » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Dual format edition on 21 May, according to Amazon

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 pm

The Graham Humphries theatrical poster for this is lovely. Will be going to see the 4k resto on the big screen at the Filmhouse in April.

Finch

#12 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

Specs:

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES

LIMITED EDITION O-Card (first pressing only) featuring artwork by Graham Humphreys created especially for the 2018 UK theatrical release | Gorgeous 1080p presentation from the Cohen Media Group 4K restoration (with a progressive encode on the DVD) | Uncompressed LPCM audio (On the Blu-ray) | Optional English subtitles | An exclusive video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns | Feature length audio commentary by critic & author Kim Newman and Stephen Jones | Feature length audio commentary by Gloria Stuart | Feature length audio commentary by James Whale biographer James Curtis | Daughter of Frankenstein: A Conversation with Sara Karloff | Curtis Harrington Saves THE OLD DARK HOUSE - an archival interview with director Curtis Harrington about his efforts to save THE OLD DARK HOUSE at a time when it was considered a lost film | Eureka! trailer for the 2018 theatrical release of THE OLD DARK HOUSE | A collector’s booklet featuring new essay by critic Philip Kemp, as well as an abundant selection of archival imagery and ephemera.

FrauBlucher

#13 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

A very impressive package.

hearthesilence

#14 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Finch wrote:Specs:
An exclusive video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
Feature length audio commentary by critic & author Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
The Cohen Collection BD was superlative and loaded with extras. (FWIW, James Cameron reportedly cast Gloria Stuart in Titanic because of her highly entertaining commentary on this film, which was originally issued on an LD release.) But MoC has really gone the extra mile, porting over those extras and adding these (a third commentary!) on top. Not enough for me to double dip, but honestly this is the one to get if you're region-free and haven't bought it already.

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:38 pm

I believe the Cohen BD just ported over the extras from the super old Kino DVD.

hearthesilence

#16 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 pm

That would make sense - I haven't seen the Karloff extra yet, but I know the commentaries were old (Stuart's been dead since 2010) and the Curtis Harrington extra seemed to have been shot decades ago on videotape.

Jonathan S

#17 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm

All three commentaries appear to be ports, as Network recorded one with Kim Newman & Stephen Jones for the UK DVD release.

L.A.

#18 Post by L.A. » Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 am

Reviews @ DVD Compare and Beaver.