BD 192 King of Hearts

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Ribs

BD 192 King of Hearts

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 am

rockysds

Re: Forthcoming: The King of Hearts

#2 Post by rockysds » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 am

Pre-order up at amazon: July 16th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: BD 192 The King of Hearts

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 pm

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition O-Card slipcase ( first print run only)
Gorgeous 1080p presentation from the Cohen Media Group 4K restoration (with a progressive encode on the DVD)
Original LPCM mono audio
Optional English subtitles
Feature length audio commentary by film critic Wade Major
Geneviève Bujold on the making of King of Hearts - An interview with the Academy Award winning actress from 2017
Interview with Pierre Lhomme the cinematographer discusses working with Philippe de Broca, and the techniques used for filming King of Hearts
Interview with Michelle de Broca Producer and ex-wife of director Philippe de Broca talks about working on King of Hearts
Eureka! trailer for the 2018 UK theatrical release of King of Hearts
A collector s booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp

Ste

Re: BD 192 King of Hearts

#4 Post by Ste » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 am

david hare wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 pm
It's only Beaver's caps but the new 4K looks fucking horrible. Blue, blue blue, red., pink blue. VIle. 60s Eastman never looked like this shit.
I received the new MoC edition on Wednesday, and have watched it already. I don’t know the film well, so don’t crucify me for saying this, but I actually thought the colours looked very good.

Beaver seems to have gone for a lot of caps from the day-for-night scenes, which may account for your perception that it looks too blue. The overall film didn’t look that way to me. The colourful outfits of the asylum residents appeared fine, to me, in the daytime scenes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:01 am

After avoiding this for a while given my track record with De Broca in the 60s (Les Jeux de l'amour/Le farceur/L'Amant de cinq jours/La Gourmandise [his segment from Les Sept péchés capitaux]/L'Homme de Rio/Les tribulations d'un Chinois en Chine can all go to the devil), I finally watched Le Roi de cœur and loved it. I think it succeeds where other similarly manic De Brocas failed because finally his excessive energy and flitting focus is put to good use in portraying the denizens of the local asylum run amok. I was impressed at the forward momentum and how the film kept up its relentlessly breathless pacing while using it to further the narrative and tone of insanity. Some of the comic touches are awfully broad, but I found them to be a good fit to the narrative (and the funniest moment in the film comes early with an utterly bizarre reference to a key WWII player that is one of our first indications that this is anything but a routine war flick). It's not hard to see why this connected to counterculture audiences in America given its release date and messaging. Glad that Le bossu (which I like a little more than this, though for different reasons) wasn't the only positive anomoly in De Broca's filmography.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:59 am

I cannot recommend Le cavaleur enough.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#7 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:41 pm

I would also put in a good word for Cartouche--although I also like L'Homme de Rio, and I guess that is in Satan's company now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:37 pm

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I would also put in a good word for Cartouche--although I also like L'Homme de Rio, and I guess that is in Satan's company now.
I now know which side of the shoulder you're perched on, because I watched Cartouche tonight and it was completely awful. It apparently took him 25 years to learn how to make a good swashbuckling entertainment with Le bossu, but better late than never.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#9 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 am

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:I would also put in a good word for Cartouche--although I also like L'Homme de Rio, and I guess that is in Satan's company now.
You're not alone.
But hey, I also like Le bossu, maybe that's redeeming.