8 / BD 16 Metropolis

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
TheGodfather

Re: 8 Metropolis

#326 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Les Yeux Sans Visage wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Not necessarily, the third disc could be behind the booklet.
I got my steelbox this morning and can confirm there are two discs - one DVD (with all extras) and one Blu.
that`s a bit strange though since I thought that the dvd-only release was a 2 discer?if so, why doesn`t the dual format release have both dvd`s?

Ozu Teapot

#327 Post by Ozu Teapot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Sorry if my post was confusing - I mean the DVD disc has the film and all the extras!

MichaelB

#328 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:59 pm

I was sent a single BD and a single DVD - I don't have them to hand right now, but I think their contents were identical (HD aside).

TheGodfather

#329 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Les Yeux Sans Visage wrote:Sorry if my post was confusing - I mean the DVD disc has the film and all the extras!
So if you have the dual format release you got the extra`s on the blu-ray and on the dvd?

Ozu Teapot

#330 Post by Ozu Teapot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:11 pm

TheGodfather wrote:
Les Yeux Sans Visage wrote:Sorry if my post was confusing - I mean the DVD disc has the film and all the extras!
So if you have the dual format release you got the extra`s on the blu-ray and on the dvd?
Yes that's right - but I think the DVD only release is only one disc now too (from checking Amazon) whereas I think it was originally described as having two discs.

peerpee
not perpee

#331 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:44 pm

We've been assured that Kino's region-coded repress (of BD and DVD) will be in circulation much sooner than we expected. We're going to let this lie now.

Perversely, I now feel bad that I'm partly responsible for region-encoded Kino discs entering the world. I just want all Blu-rays to be region-free, and I sincerely wish I'd never written to Kino in the first place.

Der Spieler

#332 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

So what's the decision behind making 'Metropolis' a 1-disc release?

peerpee
not perpee

#333 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 pm

We were trying very hard for an extra documentary, a great Argentinian documentary called METROPOLIS REFOUND, which would have necessitated 2 discs. Eventually push came to shove, and despite being about a week away from it happening, we had to make the excruciating commerce-influenced decision to not include it. Instead of having only a 54 minute disc 2, we opted to put everything on one disc.

There are a number of reasons why we didn't mind not stretching it out to two discs. Over the last five years (ie. since we last issued METROPOLIS in the MoC Series) encoding has got much better plus we now have an altogether superior format (the Blu-ray, where we've optimised the image and sound as much as we can). We're happy with the DVD encode of the feature. The difference between not putting the documentary on disc 1, and putting it on a disc 2, was negligible.

Amazon displayed the updated information a month ago, as did the artwork stickers, and http://www.metropolis1927.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- We've been so busy with the release we haven't had the catalogue page added at our main website (which we're doing now).
Last edited by peerpee on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixschmatrix

#334 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm glad to hear it's not a crippled version on the dual format release- my plan is to give the DVD away once I can watch the blu-ray, and I'd feel bad giving someone an incomplete set.

perkizitore

#335 Post by perkizitore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 am

Charging £14 instead of £12 for a single disc DVD is a bit steep, isn't it? (especially when the blu-ray is only a quid more expensive)

Duncan Hopper

#336 Post by Duncan Hopper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:47 am

Buy the Kino then.

MichaelB

#337 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:56 am

perkizitore wrote:Charging £14 instead of £12 for a single disc DVD is a bit steep, isn't it? (especially when the blu-ray is only a quid more expensive)
Why should you care? Or has your beloved Oppo blown a fuse and you're having to resort to the DVD version?

perkizitore

#338 Post by perkizitore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:59 am

Unless something directly affects me i shouldn't care, should i? Oh, well...

Duncan Hopper

#339 Post by Duncan Hopper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:13 am

Its not that the DVD is expensive, its that the Bluray is cheap.

(Why do I feel like I'm wasting my time replying?)

reaky

#340 Post by reaky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am

Postie dropped my (direct-from-Eureka) standard blu-ray copy of METROPOLIS on my doormat this morning, so it seems the steelbook customers have had their orders fulfilled and the rest are in the post now. Can't wait to dive in this evening; packaging and booklet look gorgeous.

Robert Wheeler

#341 Post by Robert Wheeler » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 am

peerpee wrote:There are a number of reasons why we didn't mind not stretching it out to two discs. Over the last five years (ie. since we last issued METROPOLIS in the MoC Series) encoding has got much better plus we now have an altogether superior format (the Blu-ray, where we've optimised the image and sound as much as we can). We're happy with the DVD encode of the feature. The difference between not putting the documentary on disc 1, and putting it on a disc 2, was negligible.

Amazon displayed the updated information a month ago, as did the artwork stickers, and http://www.metropolis1927.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- We've been so busy with the release we haven't had the catalogue page added at our main website (which we're doing now).
Peerpee, the review DVD copy I was sent was encoded in NTSC. Is this the format of the final retail DVD?

jamie_atp

#342 Post by jamie_atp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I guess DVD is like vinyl now, so you pay more for the kitsch factor and for refusing to play the better format ;-)

aox

#343 Post by aox » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Not a fair comparison. Vinyl is a superior format.

jamie_atp

#344 Post by jamie_atp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 pm

(i know - thus the ;-) )

Der Spieler

#345 Post by Der Spieler » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:33 pm

perkizitore wrote:Charging £14 instead of £12 for a single disc DVD is a bit steep, isn't it? (especially when the blu-ray is only a quid more expensive)
It's hardly "steep" for a product of that quality. It's obviously been designed with care and love. Plus you would've paid even more if Criterion had released it and the Kino must be even more expensive. I really do think it's fair.

TheGodfather

#346 Post by TheGodfather » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:43 pm

peerpee wrote:We were trying very hard for an extra documentary, a great Argentinian documentary called METROPOLIS REFOUND, which would have necessitated 2 discs. Eventually push came to shove, and despite being about a week away from it happening, we had to make the excruciating commerce-influenced decision to not include it. Instead of having only a 54 minute disc 2, we opted to put everything on one disc.

There are a number of reasons why we didn't mind not stretching it out to two discs. Over the last five years (ie. since we last issued METROPOLIS in the MoC Series) encoding has got much better plus we now have an altogether superior format (the Blu-ray, where we've optimised the image and sound as much as we can). We're happy with the DVD encode of the feature. The difference between not putting the documentary on disc 1, and putting it on a disc 2, was negligible.

Thanks for the explanation,that clears it up for me.
matrixschmatrix wrote:I'm glad to hear it's not a crippled version on the dual format release
Agreed. my copy didn`t show up today, hope to get it for the weekend.

daniel p

#347 Post by daniel p » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Are the T-Shirts being shipped with the Steelbooks? Or should I have received my T already?

Preordered way back in September through Eureka, and not getting replies to my emails :(

And how are we notified when our copy has been posted?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#348 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:I'm hoping the next generation says "Zedz!" or "Michael Kerpan!"
???

knives

#349 Post by knives » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Wouldn't Kerpan's be ;~}

Yojimbo

#350 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 am

aox wrote:Not a fair comparison. Vinyl is a superior format.
Its funny, because I picked up a whole bunch of vinyl albums for 'half-nothing' when I lived in London in the early 90's; now, I can hardly give away CDs, but I could sell many of those same vinyl albums for about 5 times the price I paid for them.
(I'll probably keep a core of 500 or so vinyl albums, though)