8 / BD 16 Metropolis

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
aox

Re: 8 / BD 16 Metropolis

#426 Post by aox » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am

That's a nice package. Seems definitive.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#427 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

No Masters of Cinema branding though?

Ribs

#428 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am

No, it does say 'The Masters of Cinema Series' on the spine of the outer box.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#429 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 am

aox wrote:That's a nice package. Seems definitive.
Famous last words.

FrauBlucher

#430 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

This was the announcement? :( What are they taking Warner's queue. How many times can they release the same film.

AK

#431 Post by AK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm

I can imagine the disappointment of the people who wished for FWWM. Quite not as remarkable an announcement, but since I never got around to buying it on Blu, I'll definitely get it now in such a good-looking package.

rapta

#432 Post by rapta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 pm

tenia wrote:I'm waiting for the 4th release that will include Rintaro's version.
Joke aside, the inclusion of the 2001 version makes the package interesting, but I already have the 2 previous steelbooks. Hum...

EDIT : scratch that, the 2001 cut is DVD-only.
No gold bar, no sale. :lol:

Yeah, I reckon it'll turn out to be that the 2001 version is DVD-only. I can't see them re-encoding one of the Blu-ray discs to include that version, if this set really is 2xBD + 1xDVD. Still an upgrade from the previous release, but what's stopping them from doing a 95th Anniversary 4xBD edition - with that DVD disc upgraded to Blu-ray and the Rintaro version thrown in - and packaged in a life-sized replica of the Maschinenmensch's head?

Apart from the lovely packaging, that extra disc and whatever they add to the booklet are the only selling points of this set for those of us that own the Ultimate Collector's Edition steelbook. I think I'll pass on this and will get the Keaton set in October instead! :D

AK

#433 Post by AK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Ribs wrote:I'm really just thrilled to see Eureka dipping their toes in the hard box + book LE format Arrow's been using for bigger releases this year. Just hope that it happening to be on a title they've releasef several times before won't hurt the sales if this is to be a pilot release of some kind.
Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for the Keaton boxset.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#434 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Uh, Eureka was putting out hardboxes with books back when Arrow was still drawing naked ladies on all their covers.

MichaelB

#435 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 pm

swo17 wrote:Uh, Eureka was putting out hardboxes with books back when Arrow was still drawing naked ladies on all their covers.
Yes, they were very much the pioneers in this field as far as UK labels are concerned.

AK

#436 Post by AK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:02 pm

swo17 wrote:Uh, Eureka was putting out hardboxes with books back when Arrow was still drawing naked ladies on all their covers.
Can't speak for Ribs, but my point was that they haven't been doing that recently. (Murnau, Keaton)

rapta

#437 Post by rapta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm

AK wrote:
Can't speak for Ribs, but my point was that they haven't been doing that recently. (Murnau, Keaton)
Well my copy of the Keaton shorts set certainly included a hard outer box - perhaps you're thinking of the Limited Edition version of Man with a Movie Camera? Seems they now only use the thinner card stock for sets using only two Amaray cases (or less, in the case of Edvard Munch). For some reason the Keaton set had three inside, despite there being four discs which could've easily filled two cases instead, but it isn't clear if that was intentional or just an oversight.

I very much hope they'll do the same for the Keaton features set in October, so we will have matching sets. Also, a digipack is nice enough but I much prefer plastic media cases inside a box set - less risk of damage, and easier to replace if they do get damaged - and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that. Most of the time, at least.

Ribs

#438 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:38 pm

I was talking more the "one single title in an amaray with a book and a hard box." I'm not a huge MoC devotee so I may have been wrong in who was basing which release on whom but this set does bear enough of a resemblance to the Bird with the Crystal Plumage or Thing sets for me to think one played a part in bringing forward the other.

AK

#439 Post by AK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for the correction on the Keaton set, rapta! I was speaking out of my ass since I was actually under the impression that it was one of those thinner cardboards.

Ribs

#440 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:57 pm

I believe MoC said at the time of the Keaton set's release that three cases meant a hard box, but two a soft box. Hence why they felt the need to specify here that it's in fact a hard case.

rapta

#441 Post by rapta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Sorry yeah just realised this new Metropolis set is actually an Amaray case not a digipack. Must've been looking at the wrong image before, or just got confused.

Like you say, Ribs, it is a nice looking set and I'd love to see them do something like this for a fresh MoC title. However, I'm not entirely sure you could credit Arrow with this kind of presentation, as this is pretty similar to Eureka's initial editions of The Passion of Joan of Arc, is it not? I think the only thing they may have picked up from Arrow is the blown-out pack shot showing all the separate elements of the release in one image. In other words, better visualisation of their product when it's being announced (also "limited edition", "webstore exclusive").
AK wrote:Thanks for the correction on the Keaton set, rapta! I was speaking out of my ass since I was actually under the impression that it was one of those thinner cardboards.
Hehe, no worries I would've jumped to the same conclusion if I hadn't pre-ordered that one. I remember the surprise when the Man with a Movie Camera LE started showing up and people hadn't realised it was going to be in the thinner card case, and then the same thing happened when the Murnau set was released (I haven't got that one yet, but did sell my DVD copies of Schloß Vogelöd and Phantom/Großherzogs).

I guess it makes financial sense for them to do it like that for smaller sets, perhaps ones that might not sell as well as Keaton, Imamura, Mizoguchi etc. I'm assuming the upcoming Keaton set will be three discs across three cases, so should be a hard outer box. Wise of them to squeeze the Lubitsch one into one case though, and same for the Pabst double-bill. I suppose they might've taken Arrow's cue on things like that, although Criterion have been doing the same for years.

Orlac

#442 Post by Orlac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 am

Ooh, nice cover art! Finally a Eureka BD of this film with the robotrix on it!

To make a totally definitive set (assuming they never find any more footage), I recommend they include the 1927 US version with its bizarre Channing Pollock intertitles.

And I see Eureka is pretending their "Director's Cut" 90's abomination never happened...

agnamaracs

#443 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am

Does anyone know if the new big one is region free or B-locked?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#444 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:13 am

No reason to believe this is ever anything but region B. Kino's region A is still available.

eerik

#445 Post by eerik » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am

agnamaracs wrote:Does anyone know if the new big one is region free or B-locked?
Region B locked. Can confirm from personal testing.

Orlac

#446 Post by Orlac » Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 am

I recently saw the BBC 1970s presentation of Metropolis, which I aquired years ago as a bootleg from a rather eccentric collector. Halliwell's called it, in 1982, the most satisfactory version.

It is mostly an aggressive assault on the ears of bizzare noises - think Eraserhead meets Doctor Who and the Sea Devils, with a touch of Texas Chain Saw Massacre - but for me, who knows the film primarily through the Moroder and 2010 restorations, it provided an opportunity to see the American script as written by Channing Pollock, which is starting to fade in the collective memory. Interesingly, there are lots of extra dialogue snippets here that were not in the Moroder version. Pollock's renaming of the characters (John Masterman, for instance) is rather trite, but the Moroder version was too ruthless in dispensing with dialogue.

Talking of which, has anyone found an attribution for Lang's alleged quote of "I experience with my eyes and rarely with my ears, to my constant regret", PRIOR to the Moroder intro?

EddieLarkin

#447 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 am

Orlac wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 am
Talking of which, has anyone found an attribution for Lang's alleged quote of "I experience with my eyes and rarely with my ears, to my constant regret", PRIOR to the Moroder intro?
It's taken from the intro he wrote to Lotte Eisner's 1976 book.
To begin with I should say that I am a visual person. I experience with my eyes and never, or only rarely, with my ears - to my constant regret. I love folk songs, but nothing would ever induce me to go to a concert or an opera.

Orlac

#448 Post by Orlac » Wed May 19, 2021 6:46 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 am
Orlac wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 am
It's taken from the intro he wrote to Lotte Eisner's 1976 book.
To begin with I should say that I am a visual person. I experience with my eyes and never, or only rarely, with my ears - to my constant regret. I love folk songs, but nothing would ever induce me to go to a concert or an opera.
Super, thank you!