BD 186 The Barefoot Contessa

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
andyli

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#1 Post by andyli » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Barefoot Contessa. Please do not be the poor TT transfer. Please be a new 4K restoration. The film deserves it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#2 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:15 pm

andyli wrote:Barefoot Contessa. Please do not be the poor TT transfer. Please be a new 4K restoration. The film deserves it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
They fixed whatever was wrong with Cover Girl so here's hoping.

TIVOLI

Re: BD 186 The Barefoot Contessa

#3 Post by TIVOLI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:57 am

Has anyone been able to compare this to the TT release? I have not found much critical response to the MOC transfer.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm

In all logic, it should be technically very similar.

GoodOldNeon

#5 Post by GoodOldNeon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Echoing the comments above, I can confirm that this is a very poor transfer with lots of overblown reds and distracting green halos around the characters. At times it's almost like watching a 3D movie without 3D glasses. I also thought the film itself was a complete snoozer, overlong and drowning under the weight of Mankiewicz's forgettable dialogue. Unless you really want to see it, I'd say this is an easy pass.

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:00 pm

What's up with the booklet in this release? The essay is in comically large print, I'd guess 22pt? It's so transparently an attempt to stretch out the material when just putting together an extra few pages of production photos or whatever would have been fine if they felt the need to get the number of pages up for the back of the box. The fact that the commentary is the only other original extra sure does make it seem like they just wanted this out the door without much fanfare or content altogether.

I also inexplicably found the film to be a bit of a masterpiece, sorry.

Black Hat

#7 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 pm

I don't think the story's anything to write home about, but it's a really well written film with every character being more likeable than they should be. Now that's helped along by how the film is structured, but I think it's also one of Bogie's more undervalued performances.