74 La Gueule ouverte

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
arsonfilms

74 La Gueule ouverte

#1 Post by arsonfilms » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:35 pm

La Gueule ouverte

Few filmmakers could rival Maurice Pialat’s facility for transforming autobiographical material into the stuff of Art, and his third feature-film, La Gueule ouverte [The Mouth Agape / The Slack-Jawed Mug], stands as one of the director’s most intensely personal — and most lacerating — works. It is a film about illness: a condition of the body, and a name for the capacity to injure the ones who love us most.

Monique Mélinand (a star of several of Raúl Ruíz’s ’90s works, and of Jacques Rivette’s Jeanne la pucelle) portrays a woman in the late stages of terminal illness. She — and her prone body — become the locus around which gather her son Philippe (Truffaut-veteran Philippe Léotard), his wife Nathalie (French screen icon Nathalie Baye, in one of her earliest roles), and Monique’s husband Roger (Hubert Deschamps, of Pialat’s early short Janine, and Louis Malle’s Zazie dans le métro). In short order, Monique recedes into the background of Philippe’s and Roger’s network of respective adulteries. But as the final, crushingly eloquent succession of shots starts to unreel, we are once more reminded that, in the work of Maurice Pialat, that which seems absent ultimately makes its presence felt with terrible force.

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Maurice Pialat’s astonishing feature-length masterwork La Gueule ouverte, accompanied by nine Pialat shorts — three narrative works from the earliest part of the director’s career, and the six poetic essay-documentaries he shot in Turkey in the early ’60s — which alone total over two hours in length.

Special Features:

- Gorgeous new anamorphic transfer of the film in its original aspect ratio
- New and improved English subtitle translations
- Three early short-films by Maurice Pialat: — Drôles de bobines [Funny Reels] – 1957, 17 minutes. — L’Ombre familière [The Familiar Shadow] – 1958, 24 minutes. — Janine – 1961, 17 minutes.
- The six short 1964 essay-documentaries made by Maurice Pialat in, and about, Turkey: — Bosphore [Bosporus] – 14 minutes. — Byzance [Byzantium] – 12 minutes. — La Corne d’or [The Golden Horn] – 12 minutes. — Istanbul – 13 minutes. — Maître Galip [Master Galip] – 11 minutes. — Pehlivan – 12 minutes.
- 12-minute 2004 interview with Pialat’s ex-wife and frequent collaborator, Micheline Pialat, conducted by former Cahiers du cinéma editor-in-chief, and current director of the Cinémathèque Française, Serge Toubiana
- 8-minute 2004 interview with actress Nathalie Baye
- 11 minutes of footage from the shoot of La Gueule ouverte, featuring commentary recorded in 2005 by actor Jean-François Balmer
- 16-minute 2004 interview with cinematographer Willy Kurant discussing his work with Pialat on the Turkish short-films
- 14-minute 1987 interview with Pialat about the Cinémathèque Française’s role in his film education
- 10-minute excerpt from a 2002 masterclass with Pialat, discussing the film Maître Galip
- Original theatrical trailer for La Gueule ouverte, along with trailers for the six other Maurice Pialat films released by The Masters of Cinema Series
- 32-page booklet containing a new essay by critic Adrian Martin, and newly translated interviews with Maurice Pialat

criterionsnob

Re: 74 La Gueule ouverte

#2 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

arsonfilms wrote:via DVDTimes:
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD release of Maurice Pialat’s La Gueule ouverte as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 20th April 2009 priced at £19.99 RRP. The French director’s third film, also known as The Mouth Agape, is one about illness: a condition of the body, and a name for the capacity to injure the ones who love us most. The cast includes Nathalie Baye, Monique Mélinand, Philippe Léotard, and Hubert Deschamps.
Wow. I haven't seen this film or any of the shorts, but this looks like a contender for DVD of the year. Can anyone comment on the included shorts? The essay documentaries on Turkey sound interesting.

sidehacker

#3 Post by sidehacker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I was going to pass on this one as I've already seen the film once and wasn't as impressed as I usually am with Pialat, but all these extras are just far too enticing. Pialat is one of the most consistently entertaining interviewees. I could seriously listen to and/or read him all day. I haven't seen any of these shorts, either, which makes the package all the more worthwhile. Great job (again) Nick and company!

Zazou dans le Metro

#4 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Looking at the bumper bundle provided on this one I have to say that my gueule is not only ouverte but positively drooling.
Thanks again. (Still have another drool left for the Epstein though).

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Wow. I haven't seen this film or any of the shorts, but this looks like a contender for DVD of the year. Can anyone comment on the included shorts? The essay documentaries on Turkey sound interesting.
The Turkish shorts are wonderful, and I'm thrilled that MoC have decided to include them on this disc (they were their own thing in the original box set). They're all completely different in style and form from Pialat's features. The visual sophistication of L'Amour existe is probably the closest approximant, but even that's qite a different kettle of fish.

They're travelogues, basically, but gorgeously composed ones (shot by Willy Kurant - Masculin feminin, The Immortal Story), and the best of them end up as impressionistic essay-films and quite a distance from your standard commissioned short subject. Like L'Amour existe, this group of films presents a kind of 'alternative reality' Pialat - a Chris Marker-style itinerant essayist - to ponder.

Bosphore, Byzance, Istanbul and Maître Galip are the closest to traditional travelogues. La Corne d’or is a kind of synthesis of them, creating a heady evocation of Turkey in exquisite images and what might be Georges Delerue's most exquisite score. Pehlivan is something else again: a study of Turkish wrestlers that seems to me wildly homoerotic, spending its first several minutes ogling in close-up abstracted oiled muscles and only gradually calming down and delivering the bigger picture.

The other shorts in the set are most welcome (and also relocated from other places of the original boxsets, if I recall correctly), but they're not the same distinctive body of work that the Turkish films are. The 50s films are clearly amateur efforts.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 am

MoC page is now live.

+ a new MoC news entry: http://mastersofcinema.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (mastersofcinema.org is our new main URL)

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:19 am

arsonfilms wrote:his third feature-film, La Gueule ouverte [The Mouth Agape / The Slack-Jawed Mug],
Was it ever actually called The Slack-Jawed Mug? I'd have thought The Gaping Gob would have been better, if only for the alliteration.

Anyway, an absolutely stunning film - I watched an MoC checkdisc last night. You expect a Pialat film to be confrontational, but there's something so relentless about the way his camera stares fixedly at scenes we're tempted to flinch from, whether it's the long slow death at the centre or the appalling behaviour of the soon-to-be-bereaved. And Nestor Almendros proves once again that he was one of 1960s/70s French cinema's greatest assets: there's a sensitivity towards the expressive possibilities of light that I haven't seen elsewhere in Pialat's output.

I'll be delving into the extras later today, but they look phenomenal.

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm glad it's not just me. This is my favourite Pialat of the 70s (apart from La Maison des bois) and 'unflinching' really sums it up. Incredibly tough stuff, and not just the deathwatch component, but also the character of the father and the (unprecedented?) Mozart scene. You're in for a very different kind of treat with the extras.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 am

Nick can confirm that I posted my comment before he sent me a PDF of the booklet, but Adrian Martin says much the same thing about Almendros' contribution.

I dug out my well-thumbed copy of Almendros' A Man with a Camera last night, but he says disappointingly little about the film - just two pages that mostly confirms what I could already have guessed from knowledge of both his and Pialat's characteristic working methods. Though one thing Almendros backs up is an observation made in the commentary over the DVDs deleted scene, which is that Pialat frequently did a Kubrick-like number of takes in order to deliberately drive his actors to exhaustion - this being almost impossible to fake convincingly.

The booklet essay is really outstanding, by the way - Martin absolutely nails the film, not least its rough-hewn awkwardness, as though Pialat is deliberately trying to do things the most difficult and demanding way possible. As Martin puts it, it's "more neurotic than therapeutic", and all the more riveting for that. (Also, he makes clear that The Slack-Jawed Mug is his own translation, which he thinks does a better job of catching the colloquial original. I agree, but think my alternative works better for British readers.)

evillights

#10 Post by evillights » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:Nick can confirm that I posted my comment before he sent me a PDF of the booklet, but Adrian Martin says much the same thing about Almendros' contribution.

I dug out my well-thumbed copy of Almendros' A Man with a Camera last night, but he says disappointingly little about the film - just two pages that mostly confirms what I could already have guessed from knowledge of both his and Pialat's characteristic working methods. Though one thing Almendros backs up is an observation made in the commentary over the DVDs deleted scene, which is that Pialat frequently did a Kubrick-like number of takes in order to deliberately drive his actors to exhaustion - this being almost impossible to fake convincingly.

The booklet essay is really outstanding, by the way - Martin absolutely nails the film, not least its rough-hewn awkwardness, as though Pialat is deliberately trying to do things the most difficult and demanding way possible. As Martin puts it, it's "more neurotic than therapeutic", and all the more riveting for that. (Also, he makes clear that The Slack-Jawed Mug is his own translation, which he thinks does a better job of catching the colloquial original. I agree, but think my alternative works better for British readers.)
Thanks for the nice words, Michael. But I respectfully disagree with "The Gaping Gob" as a suitable translation — the alliterative effect is perhaps a smidge too 'cute' for what Pialat was going for with the title ("The Gaping Gob" sounds a bit like a Halloween story, no?)... "La Gueule ouverte" begins with an ugly twist of the mouth, and ends with a plosive snap. I like Adrian's suggestion of "The Slack-Jawed Mug" (he's Australian, for what it's worth) because the phrase retains the harsh, jagged, slightly-prolonged quality of the French title (and its sense). Maybe "The Smacked Gob" would also work, although it's a little too ha-ha.

Two other things worth throwing into a discussion about the film:

Almendros was a marvelous cinematographer, but the images are Pialat's — that is, the filtered goldenness of Almendros is a quality (in the neutral sense of the word) of his signature, but I don't think filtered goldenness is necessarily a quality (in the Robert Musil sense of the word). I would argue that Luciano Tovoli's photography is as beautiful in Police, even in the opening scene. But ultimately, both the Almendros-lensed film and the Tovoli-lensed film are beautiful because Pialat built the images — dictated the shots — chose the color of the walls and asked for lighting-like-so. Having said that, DPs with the attention, patience, and command of craft that both Almendros and Tovoli bring to the proceedngs are a very rare breed.

In response to something Michael wrote, there's another thing I'd like to mention: I personally would reframe the "appalling behavior" of the characters in the film as the "human reactions" of the characters. I love Pialat very much because in his films what he's basically saying is: "Here it is." That's all. It's like the difference between the news-anchor/newsreader who says: "The killing occurred at 7pm.", and the one who says: "This horrific killing occurred at 7pm." I understand that the reaction afterward by some viewers may be "this is a very bad person" — and of course it's the viewer's call to make — but I feel Pialat's sympathies are precisely on the side of his creations, precisely because of those flaws, and as demonstrated by the 'neutral' allowance to let the characters "make themselves profound," to dig themselves deep, as complexly and movingly as Renoir once did. Both filmmakers are exalting humanity.

evillights

#11 Post by evillights » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Long interview with Maurice Pialat by Stéphane Lévy-Klein and Olivier Eyquem from 1974 on the subject of La Gueule ouverte (and touching also upon Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble, and other projects), which we hadn't discovered until the disc had gone to press — but which we've translated and present now at the MoC Series site:

gyorgys

#12 Post by gyorgys » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:38 am

Noel Megahey's review (DVDTimes) here.

Cheers

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Got this yesterday and it's a very impressive package, as usual. The inclusion of the Turkish films make this probably the most stacked MoC release yet (off the top of my head I can't think of a rival - my rough calculation suggests nearly four hours of extras for an 80 minute film) and an absolute bargain. Don't miss it.

ryan11

#14 Post by ryan11 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm

This is, indeed, an inpressive package. I devoured both discs and booklet over the weekend. (Along with the wonderful interview added to this thread. Thanks for that inclusion Nick) La Gueule ouverte is my first Pialat experience, and the experience lingers long.

This is perhaps the finest dvd package I have viewed. I popped in the first disc, knowing next to nothing about the filmmaker, and finished off the last page of the booklet, with a solid understanding of Maurice Pialat, both the filmmaker and the man. Each extra is essential in building a picture of this wonderful filmmaker. There is no fat, nor filler. Even the trailers are compelling. The turkish films are worthy of an independant release.

This dvd release is a triumph, and MOC should be congratulated.

reno dakota

#15 Post by reno dakota » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 pm

jorencain

#16 Post by jorencain » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

This extra essay is available on the MOC site.

GringoTex

#17 Post by GringoTex » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 pm

What an amazing film. As someone who has nursed three grandparents to cancer deaths (actually quitting my jobs and moving in to do so), I'm trying to figure out why this film rang so true while something like Cries and Whispers makes my skin crawl with its falseness.

Philippe Leotard is a revelation. Rarely do you see French actors carry a character with such a lack of self-awareness. He's like Brando.

And the extras are mind-boggling- MoC's best package ever.

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:45 am

My review's in the new Sight & Sound, taking up half of page 87. I wasn't responsible for the bit in the contents section that said I was "gobsmacked" by the DVD, though kudos to whoever came up with that!

HerrSchreck

#19 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 am

Was your gob gaping after being gobsmacked by The Gaping Gob???

GringoTex

#20 Post by GringoTex » Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 am

A few thoughts/questions after tackling the extras:

Janine is such a horrible nouvelle vague copycat, it's no wonder Pialat badmouthed the movement later. He obviously found his voice with the brilliant Turkish shorts.

Pialat in the Cinemateque doc was the most sincere I've seen him. Very refreshing, probably because he was being interviewed by one of his youth actors. He obviously has a wellspring of fondness for youth.

What was the deal with the slicing up of film prints in the Cinemateque doc? What was that all about?

What was his seemingly sneering reference to Resnais' Marienbad as "Vichy Vichy" in the last doc all about? I hate Marienbad so enjoy the sentiment- I just don't understand the reference.

Cronenfly

#21 Post by Cronenfly » Fri May 01, 2009 1:00 am

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Janine to be a turd; it felt like watered down early Eustache (specifically Bad Company, which came out two years later than Janine and was much more successful in dealing with similar character types/plot as well as thematic elements) to me. On the other hand I found Funny Reels to be amusing if utterly disposable; I have yet to tackle the Turkish films, but am eager to do so.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 am

GringoTex wrote:What was the deal with the slicing up of film prints in the Cinemateque doc? What was that all about?
I suspect they were prints that had been marked for destruction.

Purists might well shudder, but this is absolutely routine practice at large film archives - if you have multiple copies of the same title there's no sensible reason for going to the considerable expense of preserving them all.

Instead, you examine them, single out the best ones (at least two copies, ideally) and preserve those - and the rest might well be junked, especially if they're ex-release prints that have been scratched to ribbons by legions of projectionists and which are therefore functionally useless. You might hang on to one of those as a viewing/study copy, but there's really no point in keeping them all.

sevenarts

#23 Post by sevenarts » Sun May 03, 2009 5:43 pm

I've now reviewed this great film, which is prime Pialat as expected. I have yet to delve too deep into the MOC package, but it seems to be crammed with goodies. I'm especially looking forward to the Turkish films.

TheGodfather

#24 Post by TheGodfather » Wed May 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Watched it yesterday and I was pretty much blown away by it. Found it to be quite heartbreaking, especially since I`ve witnessed several people with similar illnesses in my family over the last few years.

The acting was great,
SpoilerShow
the emotional breakdown of Hubert Deschamps`s character towards the end of the movie

was excellent.

I really loved the movie, even more so than L`Enfance-Nue. I have yet to see most of the extra`s .Looking forward to that one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Sad to say that I'm in the minority on this one: Of all the Pialats I've seen, this handily ranks as the least. Alternately unreined and overly mannered, this picture feels far less assured than Pialats later, greater works. Everything I enjoy so much in other Pialat films, particularly his confidence and sure hand, is wholly absent here. A great package from MOC, but one unworthy of the film it supplements.