68 Tuesday, After Christmas

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.

jbeall

Re: Tuesday, After Christmas

#2 Post by jbeall » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm

And available on Netflix instant, if you want to watch before deciding whether or not to purchase.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Who has the US rights? I'll probably opt for this release either way, but I'm certainly curious.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 pm

It's already out from Kino, DVD only. It came out on the Tuesday after Christmas (not a joke).

knives

#5 Post by knives » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks, the bad review on Amazon is hilarious.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I suspect this is the final coverart.

Bikey

#7 Post by Bikey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, knives, that is the final cover art. Trust you like it.

Also, full DVD details are not yet at our website but here are the confirmed details for you. Hope you will all like what we've put together, with director Radu Muntean's kind help, for our release of this superb adult film.
TUESDAY, AFTER CHRISTMAS
A film by Radu Muntean / Romania, 2010

DVD Release Date: 14 May 2012

Paul is successful and married to Adriana but is having an affair with the younger Raluca. In the days leading to Christmas, Paul decides he needs to choose between his two lives. Radu Muntean's frank, resonant and highly acclaimed film examines the emotional impact of adultery upon its three participants.
A fixture on many international 'Best Films of 2011' lists, Tuesday, after Christmas is an astutely observed, deeply felt and intimately adult drama which presents a fresh and original perspective on an age-old human condition, and succeeds brilliantly through impeccable direction and remarkable performances.

“Shattering, superbly-acted infidelity study from one of the Romanian New Wave's spikiest talents” Tim Robey, Sight & Sound Best Films of 2011

Special Features:
• Newly filmed, exclusive interview with director Radu Muntean.
• Presented in a new anamorphic 16:9 digital transfer, approved by the director.
• Booklet featuring an essay by curator and film critic Damon Smith.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 am

I very much do like what you've put together: I've seen all four of Muntean's films now, and this is comfortably the best - it was hard to predict which direction his career would take off in after The Rage and The Paper Will Be Blue, but on the strength of Boogie and Tuesday, After Christmas he's become one of the most acute anatomists of middle-aged anxieties currently working.

His method of shooting emotionally crucial scenes in one take is very effective too - as in real life, there's nowhere for the characters to escape. I actually timed one shot (to avoid spoilers, I'll just say it's the wife's big scene), and it ran only just short of eleven minutes, but he doesn't draw attention to the technique at all.

No complaints about transfer or packaging - the interviews with Muntean (print and video, each from a different source) are particularly valuable as he's one of the less-discussed of the more important Romanian New Wavers.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Bikey

#10 Post by Bikey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 am

Lemmy Caution

#11 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 am

MichaelB wrote:I very much do like what you've put together: I've seen all four of Muntean's films now, and this is comfortably the best - it was hard to predict which direction his career would take off in after The Rage and The Paper Will Be Blue, but on the strength of Boogie and Tuesday, After Christmas he's become one of the most acute anatomists of middle-aged anxieties currently working.
I was really intrigued with The Paper Will be Blue.
Was kind of lukewarm on Boogie which felt fairly ordinary.
It felt to me like an early effort -- I initially assumed it preceded The Paper Will be Blue -- or something done quickly.
And I wasn't interested in Tues after Christmas.
The style he's adopted isn't really a favorite of mine.
But the edition I had of T After Xmas featured spotty English subtitles -- mistakes and some missing dialogue -- which certainly didn't help. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
I'm not familiar at all with Rage, so I'll look that up and see if it's available.

franco

#12 Post by franco » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I really like the cover art, Bikey. I will likely get this (for the cover and interview) even though I already have the North American version. Nevertheless, I wish the people who made the original poster didn't photoshop out Maria's tattoo...

Bikey

#13 Post by Bikey » Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Special screening and Director’s Q+A
Riverside Studios cinema, Hammersmith, London W6 9RL - Wednesday 9th May at 8pm

TUESDAY, AFTER CHRISTMAS
(Marţi, după Crăciun)
dir. Radu Muntean / Romania, 2010

New York Times Critics’ Pick - Best of 2011
Tim Robey, Telegraph UK – Best Films of 2011

A fixture on many international 'Best of 2011' lists, Tuesday, After Christmas is an astutely observed, deeply felt and intimately frank adult drama which chronicles the emotional fallout from a classic love triangle. It presents a fresh and original perspective to an age-old situation and succeeds through wonderful performances and subtly perfect direction.
This screening will be followed by a Q & A with its director Radu Muntean, in conversation with film critic Carmen Gray.

"A remarkable, pitch-perfect work, as convincing and affecting a portrayal of the subtleties of modern life and marriage as you'll find on the screen" LA Times
“... shattering, superbly-acted infidelity study from one of the Romanian New Wave’s spikiest talents” Tim Robey, Sight & Sound Best Films of 2011

Do come to the screening if you are in/around London and can make it. We'll, of course, be there and look forward to meeting you.

Bikey

#14 Post by Bikey » Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 am

Full details of the release now up at our website

Duncan Hopper

#15 Post by Duncan Hopper » Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 am

Fantastic, for once I'm available to get to a Second Run screening, and what a great one.

Funnily enough, I'll be flying back over to Romania straight after.

Bikey

#16 Post by Bikey » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm

An excellent and very prominent review in the new issue of Sight & Sound.

Bikey

#17 Post by Bikey » Thu May 10, 2012 7:46 am

Tuesday, After Christmas gets a 4**** review in the new issue of Time Out.

Our screening of the film last night went very well and we'd like to thank everyone who came to the Riverside and supported the event.

antnield

#18 Post by antnield » Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Bikey

#19 Post by Bikey » Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 am

Bikey

#20 Post by Bikey » Mon May 14, 2012 9:08 am

For those who couldn't make it to our Riverside screening last week, you can watch the Q&A with director Radu Muntean and critic Carmen Gray here

Bikey

#21 Post by Bikey » Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 am

Bikey

#22 Post by Bikey » Thu May 17, 2012 5:56 am

antnield

#23 Post by antnield » Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 am

Bikey wrote:For those who couldn't make it to our Riverside screening last week, you can watch the Q&A with director Radu Muntean and critic Carmen Gray here
Carmen Gray's Q&A report for Sight & Sound.

Bikey

#24 Post by Bikey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo

#25 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 am

Bikey wrote:Cine Outsider
Cine Outsider regarding the soundtrack wrote:The spread of the dialogue is sometimes a little wide – the voice of a character sitting left of centre can appear anywhere from the centre speaker to the extreme left of the sound stage, which can physically distance dialogue from the person delivering it (intriguingly this spread is also on the extra feature). In a couple of short sequences the placement is even reversed, with the voice of a character on screen left appearing on the right, and vice versa.
Is that a fair point? Is this a problem with the DVD or the source materials?