116 Two Films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Ribs

116 Two Films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman

#1 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:17 pm

From Second Run's coming soon page:

Taşkafa, Stories of the Street /
Estate, a Reverie
Two films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman
UK, 2013 /2015

Artangel Open Winner, and the first director to be shortlisted for both the Grierson and Jarman Awards, the work of filmmaker, artist and cultural activist Andrea Luka Zimmerman presents tender portraits of community and solidarity, exhibiting sentiments almost entirely missing from our contemporary political vocabulary.

Taşkafa, Stories of the Street (2013) is an essay film about resistance and co-existence told through the lives of the street dogs of Istanbul featuring text and readings by the late John Berger.

Her feature documentary Estate, a Reverie (2015), celebrates her community’s resilience in the face of the impending demolition of their east London housing estate and the passing of the utopian promise of social housing it once offered. Filmed over seven years, Estate reveals and celebrates the resilience of residents, asking how we might resist being framed exclusively through class, gender, ability, disability or geography to present a spirited celebration of extraordinary everyday humanity.

Releasing on DVD in 2017.

RobertB

Re: Forthcoming: Two Films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman

#3 Post by RobertB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 am

Would it be possible to include a private Vimeo link with the DVD? I have looked at some of the "Estate" material on Zimmerman's Vimeo page, and I do want to buy this film. But the drop of picture quality needed for a DVD is a bit sad. I fully understand why this is DVD only.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 pm

RobertB wrote:Would it be possible to include a private Vimeo link with the DVD?
How long do you realistically think that such a link would stay private?

RobertB

#5 Post by RobertB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 pm

No idea. I don't know how personalized they can be set. But I noticed others doing that for Kickstarter funded films, so I'm asking if it can be done.

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Bikey

#8 Post by Bikey » Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 am

"Two wonderfully satisfying and symbiotic documentary features... after watching both productions side by side the common theme of community, often in the face of prejudice, outright dismissal and stages of harsh transition from the greater society around it, is overwhelmingly clear."
First review is in - an excellent appreciation by Mark Cunliffe at The Geek Show

Bikey

Re: 116 Two Films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman

#9 Post by Bikey » Mon May 15, 2017 7:35 am

TASKAFA: STORIES OF THE STREET Special Screening + Andrea Luka Zimmerman & Ali Smith in conversation
Tuesday 23rd May, 18:20 at Arts Picturehouse Cambridge

Andrea Luka Zimmerman presents a special screening of her film and is joined on stage by acclaimed author Ali Smith for a post-film discussion.

Bikey

Re: 116 Two Films by Andrea Luka Zimmerman

#10 Post by Bikey » Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 pm