17 Marketa Lazarová

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:01 am

Marketa Lazarova

From Mastersofcinema.org...
Second Run plans to release Marketa Lazarova (FrantiÅ¡ek Vlácil, 1967) on DVD by "mid-summer". Says Mehelli Modi of Second Run, "Plans for our Marketa are going very well. So much extra material to look at that [we] don't want to rush the release. [We] want our release, as much as possible, to be fully respectful of this wonderful film and the Czech community for whom this is very important. At the moment, we are in the midst of doing the all-new subtitles." Based on Second Run's stellar track-record, we have full confidence that this will be a first-class release indeed. The film has repeatedly been voted best Czech film of all time by critics, and Mark Le Fanu recently (see our June 27, 2005 news update) called it "...as remarkable in its own way as Tarkovsky's Andrei Roublev. In short: long overdue on DVD". - T.T.

Bikey

#2 Post by Bikey » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:57 pm

We can confirm that Marketa Lazarova is being readied for release. More details when we have them.

rs98762001

#3 Post by rs98762001 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:44 pm

This is great news. I was lucky enough to see MARKETA on the big screen about a year ago when I was in LA, and it's an amazing - although very stately - experience. Hoping for a worthy transfer, as the black and white photography is some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

zone_resident

#4 Post by zone_resident » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:46 pm

I agree.. I saw this on big screen a few years ago, it was very impressive. One of the most important films long overdue on DVD, IMHO.

Scharphedin2

#5 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:58 am

This film sounds so amazing. I remember there was a poll a while back to get this on DVD... I circulated the link to people whom I know to do my little bit in generating the needed interest to get this film out on DVD. Any news as to when this will be available in either edition?

Don Lope de Aguirre

#6 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 am

This sounds like my kind of film! Can't wait to see it :D Are there any updates as to when this'll be made available?

And how does it compare to 'Valley of the Bees'?

rollotomassi

#7 Post by rollotomassi » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 pm

When this was announced it was supposedly for late summer. The odds would seem to be for a release in the New Year at the earliest (though I'd love to be proved wrong). We understand SR are trying to ensure it's the dog's you know what package - and I also heard that a Czech DVD is in the pipeline, though sites like www.hil.cz have no details as of yet. I'm lucky in that I have a print, if a poor one, already, but this film deserves a showing at the earliest opportunity. Hopefully they'll give us some positive information soon, for it seems to have been put on the back burner while the Passenger and Teutonic Knights sagas drifted on and on.

solent

#8 Post by solent » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:40 pm

What I am hoping will happen is that at this year's end not only MARKETA will be out but PARTY & more Jancso as well. In other words a flood of releases! Note I used the word "hope." I am happy with Bikey's last response. It was sent to soothe any of us who fear the worst about this company's future. I for one had no fears and I still have none. These guys are here to stay (for now). I am not aware of what it takes to leagally put out films on DVD in the UK. I'm sure the crew at SR are learning new things all the time.

Gordon

#9 Post by Gordon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:21 pm

Is there any chance of Vlácil's The Valley of the Bees (1967) from Second Run? From what I can gather, the Facets DVD is cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 and had burned-in subs.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#10 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:42 pm

It's 'scope format - a little on the soft side but relatively miraculous given that it's Facets. Titles are indeed burned in and your favourite shade of anaemic yellow.

Gordon

#11 Post by Gordon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:41 am

Nabob, are you saying that the Facet's release of Valley of the Bees is 2.35:1 anamorphic - not 1.85:1 anamorphic?
Every listing seems to suggest, as well as DVD Savant's excellent review.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#13 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:12 pm

What I really want to know is whether Bikey's read the MoC page and seen the screen caps on the new neg transfer??? More importantly if they're going to take on a new transfer???

Gordon

#14 Post by Gordon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:13 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:What I really want to know is whether Bikey's read the MoC page and seen the screen caps on the new neg transfer??? More importantly if they're going to take on a new transfer???
I'm not sure what you're refering to here - screencaps of Marketa at MoC?

kinjitsu

#15 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:27 pm

NABOB is referring to the same link posted by Nostalghia which can be found on MoC's main page regarding Markéta Lazarová.

Gordon

#16 Post by Gordon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:29 pm

Ah, gotcha. I thought that he was refering to the Eureka Masters of Cinema homepage.

This is the page with the striking comparisons commencing on this page.

The transfer should definitely be created using the negative - those caps are awe-inspiring - what a film!

Tim

#17 Post by Tim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 am

I agree with Gordon. The caps from the negative are breathtaking. Their panoramic impact reminds me of Sudek photographs. Does anybody have a sense of what the cost difference would be to do the transfer from the negative rather than the positive? Could there be a charitable drive to fund it, sponsored by the forum or otherwise, in the same way that there was a campaign to bring the film to DVD? I know I would be willing to contribute, just for the sake of the beauty of black and white film.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#18 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey Bikey! Can I ring your bell again about this neg transfer?? Any thoughts?????

Bikey

#19 Post by Bikey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Consider me rung...

We are monitoring all options with regard to the release of Marketa Lazarova and, of course, a new telecine of the negative would be our favoured option too. Our original announcement on Marketa will give you an idea of how long, in spite of the financial repurcussions, we've held off in the hope that an even better transfer would be available. Marketa is a film close to our hearts and the hearts of so many people - we will try hard to do it in the best way possible if it is financially viable and within a timeframe that makes sense.

However, the reissue of films such as Marketa is a tricky business at the best of times, and the most finely worked plans can be undone at a moment's notice by events not necessarily under our control.

As soon as we do have a final decision we will let you know.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#20 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:40 am

Well I'm sure I'm not alone in being willing to shell out a few more quid for a definitive issue on this with a new transfer. Even as a 'loss leader' it would surely win a lot of respect and good will.
Hell, call it 'Marketa in need', dress up as a panda and rattle a bucket of coins at motorists at traffic lights!!!

jbeall

#21 Post by jbeall » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:32 pm

Any news on the anticipated release date?

rollotomassi

#22 Post by rollotomassi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:10 pm

I'm sure the guys will get back to us, but with all the kerfuffle over which print is being used, I'm thinking it might be a long time before we see this one. I think SR and the Czech counterparts might be waiting till they can get the best possible print, which of course means starting from scratch.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll be lucky to see it this year. This is one we just have to be patient for.

tryavna

#23 Post by tryavna » Mon May 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Hey, new Bikey! Have there been any promising developments on this title yet? I just watched Valley of the Bees for the first time last night and am now most keen to see this one.

Bikey

#24 Post by Bikey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:38 am

We are just finalising release dates and should have something shortly. Although we are keen to have these films with you as soon as possible, our main priority is ensuring that they continue to be released with as high a standard as we can give them. That sometimes means a brief delay, but it will be worth the wait.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#25 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:21 am

Does this mean you're going for the new neg transfer???