BD 72 Jerzy Skolimowski: Walkover, Barrier & Dialogue 20 40 60 + Short Films

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
otis

Re: Barrier (Bariera)

#26 Post by otis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 am

With the government slashing their funding, I guess they have to make ends meet somehow...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:08 pm

If there's finally a quality transfer of Bariera in play, what's keeping Second Run from releasing it?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#28 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:49 pm

swo17 wrote:If there's finally a quality transfer of Bariera in play, what's keeping Second Run from releasing it?
I think I read somewhere that Skolimowski and or his Missus wanted to do the english subs themselves. Of course this might have happened in a parallel universe of random speculation and delirium.

multivitamin

#29 Post by multivitamin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 am

otis wrote:I've ordered his four first films (Rysopsis, Walkower, Bariera, Hands Up!) direct from Malavida, and am awaiting delivery. For anyone in London who wants the Polish boxset, I was at the BFI yesterday and saw that they have a few copies in the shop for £27.99.
decided to take the plunge and ordered "Hands Up!" & "Le Depart" now having the whole Malavida's catalogue devoted to Skolimowski. Just watched 'Hands Up!" for the first time in the original (b/w) 1967 version and just like watching it for the first time few years back - my head is chopped off, what a monster of a movie with the opening scene(Komeda !!) rivalling even the one from "Bariera" ^^ How neglected this masterpiece is is far beyond my comprehension. Comparing to Kino Polska Box Malavida's "Hands Up!" is 10-15 minutes longer and obviously not immersed in the sepia filter. For me it was like watching the movie I already know by heart from totally different perspective, just like listening to the Beatles in mono :) I guess now it's high time to dig into that brill Has' collection that the guys from Malavida have in offer (his post-Hour-Glass-Sanatorium works are even unavailable in Poland).

otis

#30 Post by otis » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:39 am

My order arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to look at any of them yet, but will post screencaps when I get a chance.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:54 am

Do any of Malavida's Skolimowski releases have English subtitles?

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 pm

swo17 wrote:Do any of Malavida's Skolimowski releases have English subtitles?
Their Has discs definitely don't.

multivitamin

#33 Post by multivitamin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:35 pm

swo17 wrote:Do any of Malavida's Skolimowski releases have English subtitles?
sadly no

now few words about the quality because I'm totally perplexed here, namely contrary to what I was hoping for and what's written on the cover this 2DVD combo doesn't comprise full refined 1967 b/w version ](*,)

what's restored (and must say the quality is much superior to Kino Polska box) is that mind-blowing, psychedelic introduction made by Skolimowski in 1981 plus the shorter 1967 b/w version that follows it (disc 2), on disc one there's an original (FULL) 1967 version (sadly not improved) + the 1981v that can be found in the Polish box.

I've got the impression that the French muddled everything up while preparing this set. Really hope Second Run is still on it's way to release it one day along with "Bariera".

otis

#34 Post by otis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Screencaps from the French edition of Walkower here

zedz

#35 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks Otis. That looks extremely waxy and processed, though the source print seems to be decent.

otis

#36 Post by otis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:54 pm

It's certainly better than Bariera, screencaps from which are here.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm

That looks the same as the (very poor) Polish release. At least I can still read the big eye chart, though.

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Last time I spoke to Second Run about this, they said they still very much wanted to do it, but they're waiting for a proper restoration.

otis

#39 Post by otis » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Screencaps from the French edition of Rysopis here. A rather bashed-up print, especially around the reel changes, but absolutely watchable. If someone does ever manage to bring these films out in restored versions, I'll be first in line to snap them up. Essential viewing!

otis

#40 Post by otis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Screencaps from the French edition of Ręce do góry (the original version) here

multivitamin

#41 Post by multivitamin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm

zedz wrote:That looks the same as the (very poor) Polish release. At least I can still read the big eye chart, though.
It's far from perfect but I reckon it's still better than Kino Polska's version. Probably that was the reason I was raving about that French release in the first place. Now I have to admit that my plaudit for Maladiva's treatment of Skolimowski's classics was a bit undeserved, just got my dvds back from a friend and - oh dear - there is even a typo in Joanna Szczerbic name on the cover that is - by the way - a bit ridiculous fusion of polish old school poster (with Polish credits, not erased!!) with the tittle in French put on top of that :?. All in all - with the exception of "Le Depart" - this is A BIT sloppy job by The French and nowhere near the painstaking quality of Second Run releases we all are accustomed to (now, waiting for Has' post-Hourglass Sanatorium catalogue I ordered a week ago I'm wondering if they did a better job on those ones). Yes, those masterpieces deserve a better care and we all know who can provide us with that :wink:

Calvin

Re: Forthcoming: Bariera

#42 Post by Calvin » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:14 am

It's confirmed in the recent issue of Sight & Sound that this, along with Skolimowski's Walkover, is finally coming from Second Run this year.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:51 am

I can confirm that Michał Oleszczyk and I are involved with both, but can't go into fine details just yet.

rapta

#44 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:01 am

Great news of course. I wonder if it'll be a double-set, since both were made one after the other. Perhaps I'm thinking a little selfishly though (I already have Walkover on Blu-ray). Still, will clearly have some great extras worth the double-dip! :)

What A Disgrace

#45 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:06 pm

A boxed set of Walkover, Barrier, Dialóg 20-40-60 and Skolimowski's short films is Second Run's next release after the Ben Rivers collection.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:07 pm

Wow!!!

What A Disgrace

#47 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:16 pm

This is the second time a Zbyněk Brynych film has been released on Blu-ray, and also the second time that it was a short film from an anthology and not one of his features. Even Peter Solan has been given more respect! I wasn't too keen on the two feature films of his that I've seen (Courage For Every Day and Return of the Prodigal Son), but still, kinda rankling.

jsteffe

#48 Post by jsteffe » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:20 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:06 pm
A boxed set of Walkover, Barrier, Dialóg 20-40-60 and Skolimowski's short films is Second Run's next release after the Ben Rivers collection.
Such exciting news! Thanks for spotting that. I just read the initial details on the Second Run website. I had no idea what to expect, but this exceeds what I can imagine myself expecting...

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:51 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:This is the second time a Zbyněk Brynych film has been released on Blu-ray, and also the second time that it was a short film from an anthology and not one of his features. Even Peter Solan has been given more respect! I wasn't too keen on the two feature films of his that I've seen (Courage For Every Day and Return of the Prodigal Son), but still, kinda rankling.
I think you’ve got your filmmakers mixed up. Evald Schorm made the two features you mention and Zbyněk Brynych made the feature The Fifth Horseman is Fear, which Second Run has already released. And Brynych contributed to Dialogue 20-40-60, not Schorm.

What A Disgrace

#50 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Oh! Yes, I did get that mixed up. My bad. I hope I didn't jinx any future releases from either director.