42, 52, 114 / BD 15 From Lift to The Road: The Films of Marc Isaacs

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

Re: 52 All White in Barking / Men of the City

#26 Post by Bikey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Listen to Marc Isaacs interviewed at UK's Resonance FM's Lost Steps

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Marc Isaacs' new film is on BBC4 tonight.

(Sorry about the ultra-short notice: I've only just found out myself!)

knives

Re: 42 Lift / Travellers / Calais: The Last

#28 Post by knives » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Is there something wrong with this disc? It's showing OOP on amazon.

Bikey

Re: 42 Lift / Travellers / Calais: The Last

#29 Post by Bikey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:33 am

Don't Panic!
Nothing wrong with this disc - or any other of our releases if they're currently showing OOP at Amazon.
This is the continued knock-on effect of the arson fire at Sony's Enfield depot a couple of weeks ago during the London Riots.
As you may be aware, we lost ALL of our existent stock in that fire (as did many other UK DVD lables like MoC, BFI, Arrow, Artificial Eye, Terracotta, Third Window...), so it's just taking time to get everything back into stock. ALL of our catalogue wil be replaced. Please bear with us (and don't pay any exaggerated prices for titles on Ebay or Amazon or the like).
Thanks.

antnield

#30 Post by antnield » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am

Isaacs' latest, The Road: A Story of Life and Death, comes to UK cinemas on February 22nd with a DVD due mid-April. Here's the trailer.

knives

#31 Post by knives » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm

It's kind of sad to see him graduate from Second Run.I doubt anyone will do his films as good.

Bikey

#32 Post by Bikey » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm

knives wrote:It's kind of sad to see him graduate from Second Run.I doubt anyone will do his films as good.
Thanks, dear knives, for saying such a nice thing about us.
But we are really happy that Marc Isaacs finally gets a theatrical release in the UK... and, of course, whoever takes theatrical rights automatically folds in the home video rights too. It's great for us to feel that we may have helped raise Marc's profile with his wonderful early work and to see theatrical distributors come on board now.

Kauno

#33 Post by Kauno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:33 pm

As I understand there is no subtitles. Is there a lot of spoken conversational exchange between two or more?

knives

#34 Post by knives » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes, dialogue is very important to All White in Barking though less important to Men of the City.

Bikey

#35 Post by Bikey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Tomorrow, Monday 11th November one of our favourite documentary filmmakers Marc Isaacs will be in discussion at the Tricycle Cinema, Kilburn following screenings of his films All White in Barking (6.30pm) and Calais: The Last Border + Lift (8.45pm) as part of the 2013 Jewish Film Festival

antnield

114 Someday My Prince Will Come / Philip and His Seven Wives

#36 Post by antnield » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:28 am

Two films by Marc Isaacs coming January 2017.
Our third volume of films by the renowned British documentary filmmaker Marc Isaacs brings together two films chronicling very different perspectives on the nature of love, respect and devotion. With these films Isaacs continues to seek out places where a complete palette of humanity can be found.

Heartrending and hilarious in ways that only the love life of an 11-year-old can be, Someday My Prince Will Come (2005) is rare in its willingness to accept kids on their own terms. Narrated in rhyming voice-over by its subject, Laura-Anne, as she embarks on a quest to find a 'prince'. Along the way, we're reminded of the tumultuous nature of young love and offered an unvarnished look at the social life of a small British coastal village.

Philip and His Seven Wives (2006), a film made for the BBC’s prestigious Storyville strand, tells the fascinating story of a former Rabbi’s attempt to create a new Godly family.

Believing he communicated directly with God, messianic rabbi Philip Sharpe says he learned he was a former Hebrew King, and as a Jewish patriarch he is entitled to seven wives. Isaacs’s captivating and intimate documentary visits Philip and his wives at their unconventional home in a quiet suburb, where daily life revolves around devotion to the Torah and obedience to the head of the house.

Second Run are delighted to present these two important documentary works on home video for the first time anywhere - and which include all new and exclusive follow-up pieces on both films, plus a brand new filmed interview with filmmaker Marc Isaacs.

Ribs

Re: 114 Someday My Prince Will Come / Philip and His Seven W

#38 Post by Ribs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am

Bikey

#42 Post by Bikey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am

The first review is in - an in-depth appreciation from The Geek Show

Bikey

#43 Post by Bikey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am

"Veritable odd-couple Philip and His Seven Wives and Someday My Prince Will Come make for a perfectly complementary double-bill"
CineVue on our Marc Isaacs Vol. III

antnield

#44 Post by antnield » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Bikey

#45 Post by Bikey » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 am

"Isaacs is working in the best British documentary tradition of prolonged exposure to his subjects, allowing the texture of everyday lives to be caught in full, hopes and fears, tears and laughter"
The Arts Desk

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 am

"In this pair of gentle, thoughtful films... Marc Isaacs displays his customary empathy and throat-catching intimacy he conjures with his subjects."
Marc Isaacs' SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME / PHILIP AND HIS SEVEN WIVES reviewed in the latest Sight & Sound magazine

What A Disgrace

#47 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:23 pm

I missed out on the last two Isaacs discs, but I'm gladly purchasing this (I pre-ordered it back in January...which means it was pre-ordered with a bunch of stuff that comes out THIS month). I hope the other two go on sale soon on Arrow's site. There's quite a few Second Run discs I've missed over the years, as I was making a lot less money then and could not afford to be as adventurous as I'd like, but the recent sales on the Arrow site have helped me fill in a lot of the gaps.

antnield

Re: 42 Lift / Travellers / Calais: The Last Border

#48 Post by antnield » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 pm

From LIft to The Road: The Films of Marc Isaacs limited edition two-disc Blu-ray set coming in September.

What A Disgrace

Re: 42 Lift / Travellers / Calais: The Last Border

#49 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:08 am

What a fantastic idea. I can't wait to see what this box contains - though the title and dates associated make at least three films out to be certainties.

antnield

Re: 42, 52, 114 / BD ?? From Lift to The Road: The Films of Marc Isaacs

#50 Post by antnield » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 am

Press release for From Lift to The Road:
A comprehensive collection of the films of Marc Isaacs, presented in a 2-Disc Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set together with a newly-published 80-page book ‘The Human Element’.

Recognised as one of the foremost documentary filmmakers of his generation, Marc Isaacs creates intimate portraits fuelled by insight, compassion and humour. His empathetic and deeply moving documentaries explore the extraordinary world of the everyday, presenting a unique vision of modern Britain.

This Limited Edition 2-disc Blu-ray Box Set includes the following films:

Disc 1

Lift (2001)
Travellers (2002)
Calais: The Last Border (2003)
All White in Barking (2008)
Men of the City (2009)

Shorts

The Old Man and His Bed (2011)
Outsiders (2014)
Touched by Murder (2016)
When Night Falls (2016)

Disc 2

Someday My Prince Will Come (2005)
Philip and His Seven Wives (2006)
Outside the Court (2011)
The Road - A Story of Life and Death (2013)

Out of Time Installation:

Sisters (2017)
Moments of Silence (2017)
Notes on Bangladesh (2017)
Rainy Days (2017)

Special Edition Features:

• ‘The Human Element - From Lift to The Road’: an 80-page book featuring new writing by Marc Isaacs on his filmmaking processes, reflections by collaborators including editor David Charap, composer Michel Duvoisin and producer Rachel Wexler, and essays on the films by Nick Bradshaw, Graeme Hobbs, Noel Megahey and Laura Rascaroli.
• Presented from new digital transfers of original materials, approved by the director.
• Filmed interviews with Marc Isaacs and Nick Fraser, former Commissioning Editor of BBC Storyville.
• 2017 updates to the films Someday My Prince Will Come and Philip and His Seven Wives.