M: Dialogue Error Disc Replacement

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Andre Jurieu

#51 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 pm

toiletduck! wrote:
jasloat wrote:How about "Let's not become a bunch of child murderers about this."
Make it "Jewish child murderers" and we've got a deal.

-Toilet Dcuk

Hindsight Edit: "murderers of Jewish children"
Look like a certain Dcuky is obviously just another nazi.

denti alligator

#52 Post by denti alligator » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:
toiletduck! wrote:
jasloat wrote:How about "Let's not become a bunch of child murderers about this."
Make it "Jewish child murderers" and we've got a deal.

-Toilet Dcuk

Hindsight Edit: "murderers of Jewish children"
Look like a certain Dcuky is obviously just another nazi.
Now if he had said "murderers of Christian children," then he might have outted himself as Nazi-leaning, but...

Look what you've done, Matt.

So, anyone heard back from Criterion on this?

Andre Jurieu

#53 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:41 pm

denti alligator wrote:Now if he had said "murderers of Christian children," then he might have outted himself as Nazi-leaning, but...
How about "Jewish murderers of Christian children?" I think that would work as proof that the toilet cleaner is a dirty, rotten, nazi-sympathizing bastard. He probably likes Stalin too!

Der Müde Tod

#54 Post by Der Müde Tod » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:03 pm

denti alligator wrote:
1+1=3 wrote:My (new) copy of M plays the quoted german passage fine, both in the original and the audio commentary. You should ask Criterion for a replacement of yours. And I would find a flaw like this to be very annoying.
Are you sure about this? This would mean they've corrected the problem and re-pressed the disc. This seems hard for me to believe. Does it says it's the second printing?
I bought my copy last month, and it says 2nd printing 2005 on the back. And I'm sure that my copy doesn't have the glitch. I'd think the problem must have been noticed pretty early, and was silently corrected. In fact, the DVD release date was 2004, while my printing says it is from

Galen Young

#55 Post by Galen Young » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:21 pm

1+1=3 wrote:I bought my copy last month, and it says 2nd printing 2005 on the back.And I'm sure that my copy doesn't have the glitch. I'd think the problem must have been noticed pretty early, and was silently corrected.
Well, there you go. My copy says First Printing 2004. At least I don't feel so --
SncDthMnky wrote:FUCKING DELUSIONAL. I can guarantee you, they themselves did not notice or they would have fixed the problem.
-- now.

And no, Criterion has not written me back yet.

Cinesimilitude

#56 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Apologies for the meltdown. I DO have a problem with criterion not telling us about a fix and just silently fixing it... My comment still stands, As they probably won't send you a second printing copy to replace your first printing copy that has the problem. I hope they surprise me though.

PS. hes right, mine says second printing and the audio is the same between those two sets of times. just to confirm.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:56 pm

looks like M narrowly avoided being retroactively declared WORST CRITERION RELEASE OF 2004

der_Artur

#58 Post by der_Artur » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 pm

kevyip1 wrote:
golgothicon wrote:
kevyip1 wrote:I guess I can live with 11 seconds of misplaced dialogs.

Wrong attitude. I for my part won't buy the DVD until there is a statement.
Good work Hofmeister.

Of course I want this mistake corrected. But as I already own 2 other DVD versions (as well as VHS tapes, laserdiscs, etc.; this is one of my most-bought movies), I can live with this for the time being. Let's not become a bunch of nazis about this.

I did not want to force any one of you to boycott the release. I just made a statement about my decision as a customer to avoid a disappointing product. I did this to support an other disappointed customer, not to satisfy my ego or put any pressure on any other user.
And if your, kevyip1, use of the word nazi has by any chances something to do with the fact that I am one of the few german users of this board, I hope we can settle this with a decent PM exchange.

Le Samouraï

#59 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:32 am

SncDthMnky wrote:Stop being so fucking righteous.
I am trying, you know... but it's just so much fun.
n w wrote:Talk of boycotting buying this is hot air. If someone on this forum was going to buy this they would have done so by now.
That's kind of a silly statement, don't you think? Basically it means that, if anyone does not buy a DVD on the day of release they lose every right to bitch about the quality for all eternity.

(Thanks for the insight in my financial situation though. Now if you could just give me next weeks sports results...) :wink:

Napoleon

#60 Post by Napoleon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 am

Le Samouraï wrote:
n w wrote:Talk of boycotting buying this is hot air. If someone on this forum was going to buy this they would have done so by now.
That's kind of a silly statement, don't you think? Basically it means that, if anyone does not buy a DVD on the day of release they lose every right to bitch about the quality for all eternity.

(Thanks for the insight in my financial situation though. Now if you could just give me next weeks sports results...) :wink:
I didn't say anything about not being able to bitch about it if you haven't already bought it. Bitch away. Its a disappointing mistake and it shouldn't have happened.

But as for a boycott? If you were passionate enough about the film to boycott it on the grounds of a 11 second audio cock-up that you most likely won't notice (unless you speak fluent German), then you'd have found $28 in the 20 months since its release to have already bought it.

edit. Just re-read the thread and it looks like they've fixed it. So maybe its best after all to wait a few months to give them time to patch up their releases.

Le Samouraï

#61 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:05 am

n w wrote: But as for a boycott? If you were passionate enough about the film to boycott it on the grounds of a 11 second audio cock-up that you most likely won't notice (unless you speak fluent German), then you'd have found $28 in the 20 months since its release to have already bought it.
I can only speak for myself. I did buy very few DVDs in the period from autumn 2004 until the beginning of 2006 so there has simply been too much to catch up with this year. And since I already own the Eureka release, M has not been top of my list, even though it is one of my favorite films. Why should I want to spend money on a flawed product when there are a plenty of other titles, Criterion or not, that I need to buy? (of course this is a moot point now since the DVD apparently has been corrected).

So, anyway, what about those sports results?
Just re-read the thread and it looks like they've fixed it. So maybe its best after all to wait a few months to give them time to patch up their releases.
Probably. Especially for people living abroad, since they do not send any corrected discs to us. Once I did manage to get a cover exchanged though, at that time when a lot of the first copies of "Le Corbeau" were torn in the artwork.

Galen Young

#62 Post by Galen Young » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:39 pm

Okay, here we go people:
Angie Bucknell wrote:Yes, we have corrected the problem in the second printing and will be more than happy to send you a replacement disc.

Please send your disc to the following address with shipping information for the replacement.

Criterion
210 East 52nd Street - 5th floor
New York, NY 10022

Thank you for your commitment to Criterion.

Best,

Angie Bucknell
Hopefully they will extend the same courtesy to you folks overseas, but you might want to write them first to make sure before sending your disc.

daniel p

#63 Post by daniel p » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:24 pm

Which email address did you send your inquiry to, for that reply Galen?

Galen Young

#64 Post by Galen Young » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 pm

I didn't send to an email address. Used the "Ask Jon Mulvaney" form on their website. (but like everyone else, they never got back to me about the Rohmer box...)

Cinesimilitude

#65 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:14 am

Galen Young wrote:Okay, here we go people:
Angie Bucknell wrote:Yes, we have corrected the problem in the second printing and will be more than happy to send you a replacement disc.

Please send your disc to the following address with shipping information for the replacement.

Criterion
210 East 52nd Street - 5th floor
New York, NY 10022

Thank you for your commitment to Criterion.

Best,

Angie Bucknell
Hopefully they will extend the same courtesy to you folks overseas, but you might want to write them first to make sure before sending your disc.
Criterion Surprised me! Sorry for the rude comments, I was just being a grumpy asshole. I just really hope there aren't more problems that we could get replacements for if we only knew about them.

Hofmeister

#66 Post by Hofmeister » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:37 am

I got almost literally the same reply that Galen Young received, with no questions regarding my location (see left):
Angie Bucknell wrote:Thank for your email and attention to this matter. We are aware of the problem and have corrected it for the second printing.
We will be more than happy to send you a replacement disc if you would like to return your copy in exchange to the address below: (etc.)
I guess I'll take their word for it and return it with a printout of the e-mail; sure hope they won't leave those standing in the rain for whom the mishap is particularly unpleasant (in this case us German customers of theirs). Hooray for Criterion -- albeit a muted cheer until the appropriate moment.

Ashirg

#67 Post by Ashirg » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:20 am

Should I send the whole set or just one disc?

Schkura

#68 Post by Schkura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 am

The protocol heretofore has been to send the disc only.

Hofmeister

#69 Post by Hofmeister » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:56 am

Ashirg wrote:Should I send the whole set or just one disc?
I've requested just that information and will post Criterion's reply.

Matt

#70 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:56 am

Criterion have still not added it to their Known Problems page. Nor have they added The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (typos in subtitles on first pressing) or Playtime (Cours du Soir flagged for incorrect aspect ratio playback on first pressing of old disc).

daniel p

#71 Post by daniel p » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:51 pm

So does anyone know if they'll replace discs outside of the US? I have the 1st pressing, and live in Australia...

Schkura

#72 Post by Schkura » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:48 am

Sorry, Dan, but I really, really doubt it.

justeleblanc

#73 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:32 pm

Does anyone yet know if we are to only send the Disc or are we to send the entire set and case back to Criterion?

denti alligator

#74 Post by denti alligator » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm

You should only send the defective disc.

soma

#75 Post by soma » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:51 am

Quick question - I'm going to pick this up in the next DDD sale in November. Am I correct in saying that this problem has been fixed since the initial release and the currently stocked pressings do not carry this audio flaw?

Does the same apply to the Brazil collector's booklet inclusion?