Criterion on Social Media

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Flike

Re: Criterion Facebook Page

#51 Post by Flike » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:43 am

The Wacky C validates my tastes. I can't wait until Nolan joins the collection so I can finally buy that Dark Knight Blu-ray.

aox

#52 Post by aox » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:47 am

Hello, I'm a huge Spielberg admirer and I wonder if there's any chance some of his films might end up in Criterion's wonderful collection. Thanks in advance.
Isn't Spielberg pretty well represented on DVD? Should Resnais and Rivette be put aside so Criterion can begin work on Hook?

ptatler

#53 Post by ptatler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Check this nonsense:

I read through a great many of the posts and it crinkled my brains so I threw this up on the wall:
ptatler wrote:Hey Criterion:
[Ironic request for an obviously antithetical title]!
[Slobbering fan note]!
[Request for a film with an already fine R1-release]?
[Rivette/Satyajit Ray]?
[Request that flaunts my knowledge of obscure Malay auteurs]?
Harmless cheek, right? It gets a couple of those worthless Facebook "LIKEs" and then some whiny bitch writes:
some whiny bitch wrote:[Snarky comment by a cf.org snob]!
And here's what Criterion sends me:
Criterion Overlord wrote:Please don't snark at each other here. There are plenty of forums for that. If you guys are going to start flashing your .http://www.facebook.com/l/03b12;com/.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gang signs, you're going to have to take it outside. We'll delete threads like this in the future.
Orwellian, yeah? I mean, what is the internet for?!

I'm a lot easier on CC than most of you guys. The Ben Button bullshit didn't even rankle me all that much. All I really care about is that they release new transfers of Bresson's stuff.

But this has made me kind of resent them and all their "you should totes slap a 'C' on AMELIE" sycophants.

souvenir

#54 Post by souvenir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:46 pm

There's a lot of humor in Criterion's response to ptatler. At some point, there was definitely a shift at this forum where it went from being a place to best appreciate Criterion's releases to one where nearly everything the company does gets scrutinized to the point of unrelenting criticism. I'm not very surprised to read of Criterion's aversion to snark.

onedimension

#55 Post by onedimension » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I find this board's psyche to be increasingly warped- obsessives kvetching about crumbs of information. It seems like devoted, even finicky consumerism underneath a patina of taste and culture.

Maybe the economy caused it, we're all tense and hoping that the well of boom-time DVD publishing largesse will not run dry before our pet films get the "Criterion treatment."

so lightly here

#56 Post by so lightly here » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Come on! You tough guys afraid of a little Facebook competition? You are made of stronger stuff than that!

ptatler

#57 Post by ptatler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:54 pm

onedimension and souvenir: there's a pair of high horses leaving for .com. They're looking for two internet moralists to moderate a forum on what extras should be included with the CC's Matrix trilogy boxed set. K thx bye.

aox

#58 Post by aox » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:56 pm

bi2them

souvenir

#59 Post by souvenir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

ptatler wrote:onedimension and souvenir: there's a pair of high horses leaving for .com. They're looking for two internet moralists to moderate a forum on what extras should be included with the CC's Matrix trilogy boxed set. K thx bye.
I expected as much. Love it or leave it!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#60 Post by cdnchris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I think their thing has more to do with they don't want .com/.org BS showing up on their page, which I agree with. I know that wasn't ptatler's intention but it was opened up by the jackass that posted the "cf.org snob" comment, which they probably assumed was a .com member. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy got the same sort of message.

Cinephrenic

#61 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:19 pm

While members are bitching about people asking what titles will be next on FB, Criterion seems to have confirmed Rocco and His Brothers. So expect Rocco Siffredi and his brothers doing an groupie in a glorious Blu-ray edition. :lol:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Does it make me a snob to like that the cliched image of our forum is that it consists of snobs? We still win, even in the eyes of detractors

ptatler

#63 Post by ptatler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:While members are bitching about people asking what titles will be next on FB, Criterion seems to have confirmed Rocco and His Brothers. So expect Rocco Siffredi and his brothers doing an groupie in a glorious Blu-ray edition. :lol:
Criterion's Off Da Hook Facebook Page wrote:It's not the next Visconti in line, but it does appear to be out of print, so..
](*,)
I'm thinking this is how the inflated expectations for each month's release slate get started.

Cinephrenic

#64 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Senso first, then probably Ossessione or Rocco.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#65 Post by Tribe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:38 pm

By the way, what is the official .com gang sign here?

justeleblanc

#66 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Rocco is not confirmed. It was given a maybe, as in maybe they'd consider licensing it. Seeing how long it took them to release Senso, don't get your hopes up about Rocco anytime soon.

And while we're on the subject, Ossessione, Terra Trema, and Bellissima are all owned by the same company. If you email them, they will tell you that there is a company interested in releasing those titles, but it isn't Criterion.

That's all I know.

Oh, and Sony will be releasing Sandra in Europe next year, and then possibly in the US as well.

ptatler

#67 Post by ptatler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:27 am

Tribe wrote:By the way, what is the official .com gang sign here?
It's that disaffected hand gesture Domino's avatar is making.

Davidspector

#68 Post by Davidspector » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:45 am

Justeleblanc

Sony released Sandra aka Stelle Vaghe Dell'Orsa in Europe in July of this year - with English subs. Available through Italian DVD websites. I have it but haven't looked at it yet, so can't comment on the transfer. La Terra Trema is available in a Region 2 Ripley's Home Video BEAUTIFUL transfer with English subs. Is there a decent print of Ossessione anywhere in the universe? Criterion has talked about wanting to do this one -but that was some time ago. And when is their Senso coming out? My understanding is that the recent Italian restoration and DVD look good - but it uis available only without subs.

justeleblanc

#69 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am

Davidspector wrote:Justeleblanc

Sony released Sandra aka Stelle Vaghe Dell'Orsa in Europe in July of this year - with English subs. Available through Italian DVD websites. I have it but haven't looked at it yet, so can't comment on the transfer. La Terra Trema is available in a Region 2 Ripley's Home Video BEAUTIFUL transfer with English subs. Is there a decent print of Ossessione anywhere in the universe? Criterion has talked about wanting to do this one -but that was some time ago. And when is their Senso coming out? My understanding is that the recent Italian restoration and DVD look good - but it uis available only without subs.
Thanks for the scoop! Sony told Joe of the 'Fin de cinema' blog that they would be releasing Sandra in the states at some point as well.

Tom Hagen

#70 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 am

I really want to ask them about swimminghorses. The inspirational role he had, if any, with the Painleve "23" art is a question that needs to be addressed for the record.

Spielbergo

#71 Post by Spielbergo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am

Ovader wrote:It finally happened. Someone asked about releasing some Spielberg. I am still waiting for someone to ask to have Star Wars on Criterion...
I was the one who inquired Criterion about Spielberg on Facebook.

It doesn't make sense to ask them to deal with Star Wars because its available editions are good enough.

The same can't be said about Spielberg's television work, The Sugarland Express, Always, Amistad, Munich and, to a certain degree, Schindler's List.

aox wrote:
Hello, I'm a huge Spielberg admirer and I wonder if there's any chance some of his films might end up in Criterion's wonderful collection. Thanks in advance.
Isn't Spielberg pretty well represented on DVD? Should Resnais and Rivette be put aside so Criterion can begin work on Hook?
Why mention Hook, specifically? Even Spielberg admirers tend to consider it a weak effort, to put it mildly.

ptatler

#72 Post by ptatler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

Tom Hagen wrote:I really want to ask them about swimminghorses. The inspirational role he had, if any, with the Painleve "23" art is a question that needs to be addressed for the record.
Maybe so lightly swimming can whip up a nice Soviet Constructionism/Hello Kitty-inspired cover for CHE.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#73 Post by Brian C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 am

Spielbergo wrote:The same can't be said about Spielberg's television work, The Sugarland Express, Always, Amistad, Munich and, to a certain degree, Schindler's List ...

Why mention Hook, specifically? Even Spielberg admirers tend to consider it a weak effort, to put it mildly.
I could be wrong here, but doesn't Amblin handle most of Spielberg DVD releases? In other words, aren't the DVD editions of his films pretty much exactly what Spielberg wants them to be?

At the very least, given his stature in the industry, if he wanted more supplements for these films, Universal would be able to release the new editions as well as Criterion. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have any objections if Spielberg asked Criterion to help out, BENJAMIN BUTTON style, but I think you're misunderstanding the basic dynamics of how and why Criterion does what they do.

aox

#74 Post by aox » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am

But they are available. There are hundreds of directors and thousands of films that have No release in the US whatsoever and are not readily available anywhere. Criterion has a limited budget and can only do so much a year. Even a film as great as Schindler's List I would be angry about for this very reason (unless of course it is for much needed revenue, then there are worse decisions, I guess).

Yakushima

#75 Post by Yakushima » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 am

A glimpse of hope for Kira Muratova in the collection?

Question: Any hope for Alexey German or Kira Muratova in the collection during my lifetime? Sheptiko Eclipse set has rekindled my hopes:)

Criterion: A filmmaker friend of ours was just mentioning Muratova to us last week. We'll check her out.