Criterion and MGM

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
sir_luke

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#701 Post by sir_luke » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:35 pm

I'd love to see Criterion handle the bizarro Cold Turkey and Topkapi, and Moby Dick has been on my Blu-ray wish list for a long time (I assume the Huston version is the one being discussed).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#702 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:35 pm

To not be misleading, this is what he said about that list:
Some are with Criterion, others with Twilight and a couple with Shout and others with no one. Two or more are future Kino Lorber releases

FakeBonanza

#703 Post by FakeBonanza » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:57 pm

The Knack ...and How to Get it and One Two Three seem as likely as any of them, and I'd be happy to see either one.

britcom68

#704 Post by britcom68 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Having just watching Wilder's One Two Three the other week with my bilingual teacher friend, I was surprised to learn how terse some of the German lines really were, it made Cagney's character more career-driven and less sympathetic, and actually more interesting upon reflection. This title is just screaming out for some featurette on West-East Berlin relations in and out of film and the Hollywood directors that escaped Europe just before WWII began, Wilder included, etc etc, yadda yadda. How odd though it would be for Criterion to stick its neck out to release this and not Witness for the Prosecution- I always said that Wilder's reputation has had a mixed legacy, sadly. I doubt Kino would pass up the opportunity to release this, they seem to be the new home for his films, heck, they could have almost made a box set if they did get their hands on One Two Three.

John Doe

#705 Post by John Doe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Criterion loves Dassin, so my guess would be Topkapi. If they have more than one of the above-mentioned titles, then my second choice would be Lumet's The Best Man.

AfterTheRain

#706 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

John Doe wrote:Some of the following titles are coming from CC, according to MisterLime.

THE MIRACLE WORKER
JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
THE BEST MAN
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
COLD TURKEY
DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES
D.O.A. (1950)
THE DEFIANT ONES
I WANT TO LIVE!
JACK THE GIANT KILLER
THE KNACK...AND HOW TO GET IT
THE MAGIC SWORD
MOBY DICK
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
THE OFFENCE
ONE TWO THREE
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF/GUNFIGHTER
TOM JONES
TOPKAPI
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT
If all of these are truly confirmed to be with Criterion, then this is one of the best news I've heard in a long time. I have quite a few of these on DVD already and would gladly spring for Criterion editions of these.

Jeff

#707 Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:34 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:If all of these are truly confirmed to be with Criterion, then this is one of the best news I've heard in a long time. I have quite a few of these on DVD already and would gladly spring for Criterion editions of these.
They aren't all with Criterion. Presumably at least one of them is.
domino harvey wrote:To not be misleading, this is what he said about that list:
Some are with Criterion, others with Twilight and a couple with Shout and others with no one. Two or more are future Kino Lorber releases

George Kaplan

#708 Post by George Kaplan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Personally, I'd go with Arthur Penn's THE MIRACLE WORKER as the pick of the litter, with ONE, TWO, THREE and DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES and THE KNACK...AND HOW TO GET IT close behind. I doubt that Criterion has much interest in Blake Edwards though. D.O.A. and the Huston MOBY DICK are both significant. But, oh those runts! So many to choose from Lumet, Kramer, Frankenheimer, Dassin and Tony Richardson's TOM fucking JONES just for good, properly-Oscared measure.

zedz

#709 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 pm

George Kaplan wrote:Personally, I'd go with Arthur Penn's THE MIRACLE WORKER as the pick of the litter.
I can imagine this would be right up Criterion's alley, given the scope for a variety of extras.

And hey, I never realized this film had such a great, scary poster:

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#710 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Reading this has made my day!

Is there any chance of Criterion ever doing Blow-Up or The Passenger?

Yaanu

#711 Post by Yaanu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 am

If Criterion does "Jack The Giant Killer", I hope it comes with this as an additional commentary track.

MoonlitKnight

#712 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 am

John Doe wrote:THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
The Friedkin film I'd much rather see Criterion release is his adaptation of Pinter's "The Birthday Party." While "Minsky's" is still good (I have the DVD MGM put out via Fox), it's pretty much a trifle.

britcom68

#713 Post by britcom68 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 am

I would imagine that this list, if accurate, could shake out with a lot more of these titles going to Twilight and Kino instead of anywhere else. I really look at Criterion’s best bets as the Krammers, Henry Orient and The Knack. I almost feel that if Criterion does not pick up "Henry Orient," it would get picked up by Olive, you either hate that film or really appreciate it. The Best Man could likely hit Kino as Criterion’s past Lummet acquisition, The Fugitive Kind is an interesting film, but like Best Man, is not representative of Lummet’s more familiar filmmaking style. The Best Man feels like Lummet making a film like Altman and Fugitive King feels like Lummet making a film like Preminger.
For sure I feel Twilight will want Tom Jones and Live!, Wine and Roses and possibly Moby Dick too. For Criterion to pick up One Two Three would be a shock, but stranger things have happened. I suspect that Kino will want all the Wilders though. I would bet that whoever picks up Topkapi will get a crack at Never on Sunday, but Criterion has not upgraded their past Dassin titles except for Riffi so perhaps they are hesitant to pick up and more. Kino will likely end up with Miracle Worker and Birdman, considering their MGM relationship now and past acquisitions. Pity, Criterion could really pack extras for Miracle Workers too.

Shout will likely pick up Minsky’s and given the Norman Lear fanbase, likely will want Cold Turkey too. Support Your Local… duo could go to Shout too.

Jeff

#714 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 am

Well, if everybody else is going to play this silly game, I want to play too. My guesses:

CRITERION
THE MIRACLE WORKER
MOBY DICK
THE KNACK...AND HOW TO GET IT
THE DEFIANT ONES

SHOUT/SCREAM
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
JACK THE GIANT KILLER

TWILIGHT TIME
JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG
TOM JONES
THE BEST MAN
THE OFFENCE

KINO LORBER
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ

NO ONE
COLD TURKEY
DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES
D.O.A. (1950)
I WANT TO LIVE!
THE MAGIC SWORD
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
ONE TWO THREE
TOPKAPI
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF/GUNFIGHTER

John Doe

#715 Post by John Doe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:23 am

People love playing silly games.

P.S. Birdman of Alcatraz is coming from TT later this year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#716 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 am

This is really dumb

CRITERION
the World of Harry Orient (Maybe in the same month as Ghost World)

KINO
the Defiant Ones
the Miracle Worker
Judgment at Nuremberg
One Two Three
Topkapi

TT
the Best Man
I Want to Live!

NO ONE
DOA (PD)
Days of Wine and Roses (Warner)

Askew

#717 Post by Askew » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 am

I think D.O.A. (1950) will be released by Kino. They have released public domain films on blu-ray before, right?

John Doe

#718 Post by John Doe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Well, I was wrong. Kino just announced Topkapi for October, so it's not that one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#719 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Hardly surprising given the kind if films they've been licensing

Feego

#720 Post by Feego » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing The Miracle Worker released by Criterion. It would be a real boon if they could include the original television version starring Teresa Wright and Patty McCormack that preceded the Broadway production as an extra.

bamwc2

#721 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:53 pm

One, Two, Three is my favorite film by Wilder and just about a perfect comedy in my estimation. I hope that whoever gets it does it justice.

beamish13

#722 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Have there been any rumblings about the status of Cannon's films, some of which are now with MGM and others apparently back with Golan/Globus?
Andrey Konchalovsky (who's already represented in the Criterion Collection via co-writing IVAN'S CHILDHOOD and ANDREI RUBLEV) directed 2 brilliant films for Cannon that would be excellent acquisitions: RUNAWAY TRAIN (1985) and SHY PEOPLE (1987). Also, Criterion should try to rescue Fans Rademakers' Oscar-winning DE AANSLAG (1986) from never-released-on-DVD hell.

beamish13

#723 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:07 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote:
John Doe wrote:THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
The Friedkin film I'd much rather see Criterion release is his adaptation of Pinter's "The Birthday Party." While "Minsky's" is still good (I have the DVD MGM put out via Fox), it's pretty much a trifle.
BIRTHDAY PARTY is now apparently owned by Buena Vista. At least they were the ones credited as loaning out an archival print to the American Cinematheque last year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#724 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm

bamwc2 wrote:One, Two, Three is my favorite film by Wilder and just about a perfect comedy in my estimation. I hope that whoever gets it does it justice.
Well, not to rain on your parade but, uh, oh? I find One Two Three to be easily one of Wilder's worst films and completely unfunny, and I'm not alone in hating it (nor are you alone in loving it). Luckily I sincerely doubt this isn't a Kino pickup so a moot Criterion point either way!

bamwc2

#725 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:20 pm

domino harvey wrote:
bamwc2 wrote:One, Two, Three is my favorite film by Wilder and just about a perfect comedy in my estimation. I hope that whoever gets it does it justice.
Well, not to rain on your parade but, uh, oh? I find One Two Three to be easily one of Wilder's worst films and completely unfunny, and I'm not alone in hating it (nor are you alone in loving it). Luckily I sincerely doubt this isn't a Kino pickup so a moot Criterion point either way!
Oh, Domino. Why do you so often feel like MC Skat Cat to my Paula Abdul?