Criterion and Buena Vista

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:39 pm

It certainly fits the pedigree, and I'd imagine it's something that Criterion could get from Universal without much coercion since it was far from a commercial success.

matrixschmatrix

#27 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Damn, I don't care who it comes from, that's a day 1 purchase

Matt

#28 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:11 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:now the question is, via Criterion or Universal? this even feels like it would be a Criterion, right? one of his better movies as well.
25th Hour was a Touchstone (Disney/Buena Vista Home Entertainment) film. Criterion have licensed from Disney in the past (Rushmore, Chungking Express), so it's possible.

ryannichols7

#29 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:25 pm

I thought it was Universal, my bad. definitely assumed that due to DTRT

it'll probably be Criterion then, even with Buena Vista. I really doubt they would put it out. regardless it's fantastic it's coming at the least. would love to see Lee and Norton do a commentary.

ianungstad

#30 Post by ianungstad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 pm

The Wes Anderson titles were distributed on dvd by Buena Vista but the blus have been flat out licensed to Criterion/Image, so they've obviously struck a licensing deal but so far it's just been for blu upgrades. Prior to the new Paramount/Fox titles entering the collection, we saw blu upgrades first....so there's that precedent. Also, a lot of the titles that weren't licensed to Mill Creek seem fairly Criterion-y. (The Insider, Noises Off, Kundun, Dead Presidents, 25th Hour, etc.)

Anyways great to see the brothers Quay in the criterion closet. Hopefully they're involved on some future release.

ryannichols7

#31 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Kundun is highly likely, right? I'm sure Criterion is aching to get ahold of any Scorcese they possibly can.

the ultimate Buena Vista title though, would be Dead Man with a ton of historical extras.

dwk

#32 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Dead Man is a Miramax title and is now with Echo Bridge.

duck duck

#33 Post by duck duck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:14 pm

I've been wanting to see the Kundun doc since '99.... I really hope Criterion puts that one out. I don't see too many studios doing an SE of a film that "didn't do well because no one could say the name of the film"... anyone else remember those radio adds?

Jeff

#34 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:38 pm

I love The 25th Hour, but I kind of think it's probably Buena Vista releasing it themselves. They've been cranking out Blu-rays of catalog titles, and their DVD release already includes two commentaries, deleted scenes, and a couple of featurettes.

warren oates

#35 Post by warren oates » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:42 pm

In that case where's The Insider?

Jeff

#36 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm

warren oates wrote:In that case where's The Insider?
2013 I imagine. Buena Vista will have released 50 catalog titles on Blu-ray in 2012 (not including new stuff like The Muppets, The Avengers, etc.). That's not including the ones they licensed to Mill Creek. The Insider is another one I'd love to see Criterion grab, but I expect BV will probably do it themselves.

bainbridgezu

Re: Criterion and Buena Vista

#37 Post by bainbridgezu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Sounds like Criterion is bringing 25th Hour to Blu-ray. From a new interview with Spike Lee (08/09/12):
Spike Lee wrote:People love [25th Hour] and it's really grown in stature. In fact it went out to Blu-Ray now, I've got to approve it. That came out of nowhere. I just did that commentary.
While Buena Vista has been burning through their catalogue titles this past year, I can't imagine they'd record a new commentary track for a film that already has two. Great news.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#38 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:15 pm

See further up this thread. There's no confirmation that it's coming to Criterion necessarily, but all signs are pointing to it, I suppose.

ianungstad

#39 Post by ianungstad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Still hardly a confirmation but the fact that Spike Lee has to approve the transfer is promising. That sounds more like something Criterion would ask of him. I doubt Thelma or Martin approved that Color of Money transfer!

ryannichols7

#40 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:58 pm

I think that's enough to prove it's Criterion, but hey, I could be wrong.

now the question is how long we'll have to wait to see how quick the turnaround is of him approving a transfer/recording an extra and seeing it released.

Jeff

#41 Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Well I'm going to have to change my answer and say it does sound like this is going to be Criterion. No way he records a new commentary for Buena Vista when they've already got one on the shelf. And, as has been said, BV clearly doesn't ask directors to approve transfers. Seems silly to waste those BV supplements, but I'm not complaining. The 25th Hour is easily one of my favorite films of the 2000s, and I'll be thrilled for a Criterion Blu-ray.

Of course, if this does come to pass, the precedent it sets is also exciting. I said a couple of days ago that Buena Vista was releasing tons of catalog Blu-rays themselves, but it would be unusual for Criterion to license just one title at a time. They may have struck a multi-title deal with Buena Vista to include full distribution of the three Wes Anderson pictures plus a handful of other titles. C'mon Kundun, Quiz Show, and The Insider!

ianungstad

#42 Post by ianungstad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

I doubt Disney would license the title to a third party but I wonder what they plan to do with Princess Mononoke? It's unavailability on streaming and lack of reissue from Lionsgate indicates the film probably stayed with Disney instead of being sold off with the rest of Miramax. They won't even release Only Yesterday due to a menstruation subplot and the film not being in line with Disney corporate values. Mononoke must make current Disney executives balk with it's violence, prostitutes and god killing. The film seems to be stuck in some weird limbo in spite of being a big lucrative title. Amazon still has the Miramax disc in stock but it's been OOP for about a year and a half.

If there is a deal; I hope it would include The Straight Story and Noises Off!, two excellent if not somewhat underappreciated films by Criterion approved directors.

member24958

#43 Post by member24958 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

ianungstad wrote:If there is a deal; I hope it would include The Straight Story and Noises Off!, two excellent if not somewhat underappreciated films by Criterion approved directors.
If Disney Live Action titles might be a possibility, re: The Straight Story, I would love to see Never Cry Wolf (though I might be in a minority that think it is Criterion worthy).

beamish13

#44 Post by beamish13 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:29 am

I think Carroll Ballard is long overdue for recognition from Criterion, and I'd love to get some supplementary material on Farley Mowat.

It'll never happen, but I wish that Criterion could license some of the "untouchable" animated films from Disney, like SONG OF THE SOUTH and the original cut of THE BLACK CAULDRON.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#45 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Before this conversation goes any further, there are two words I need to insert into the discussion: Armageddon Blu-ray

Carry on.

P.S. Put me down in favor of 25th Hour and Insider Criterion editions; and a Criterion release of Oliver Stone's Nixon would be interesting as well. And Peter Chelsom's Funny Bones, with Oliver Platt and Jerry Lewis, is an unsung gem waiting in the Buena Vista vaults.

flyonthewall2983

#46 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Disney already put out a Nixon Blu-ray special edition.

duck duck

#47 Post by duck duck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Remember Spike Lee was all about the Malcolm X Criterion edition that never happened. And I'm not for sure but he could have also started the She's Gotta Have It rumors.
The Straight Story would be brilliant it's the only Lynch film I haven't heard him talk for hours about.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#48 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah regardless of the fact that Spike Lee recorded a commentary and is approving a transfer, this isn't going to happen. ;). Solid logic there.

hearthesilence

#49 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 am

Don't know if it was filmed, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Film Society of Lincoln Center screened this for free on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, and the producer, Lee, Edward Norton and Philip Seymour Hoffman were all there to discuss their experience with the film as well as how 9/11 wound up shaping the film. Would make an excellent bonus feature - though there might be some redundancy due to Lee's commentary, Norton and Hoffman's personal anecdotes would probably be unique.

colinr0380

#50 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 am

Jeff wrote:C'mon Kundun, Quiz Show, and The Insider!
Fascinating news on 25th Hour. You know, Kundun is the only Scorsese film that I have not yet seen, so a Criterion Blu would be the perfect way to rectify that! (hint, hint!) And if they do Quiz Show they really should try to include that archive episode of the original show for easy comparison purposes. And The Last Cigarette would make a good companion film for The Insider!