jwd5275 wrote:Actually they recently added 7 names:
Bob Fosse
Stephen Roberts
Mark Robson
Jack Clayton
Henry King
Mark Rydell
Henry Hathaway
Criterion also added Jason Reitman. I did not see his name previously on the more complete Phantom Page thread, however it is possible that it had been there some time along with the previously-known Ivan Reitman. If that were the case, then it would certainly strongly indicate that the not-so-dynamic duo of father/son Reitmans were being given a Criterion release of Up In the Air. :|
Although personally, I still want to believe that Ivan Reitman was being given a phantom page for producing Shivers.

PfR73

Re: Criterion Web Site

#102 Post by PfR73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am

If there's a Jason Reitman film coming, I'd suspect Thank You For Smoking, which hasn't been released on Blu.

ianungstad

#103 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

The Bob Fosse title has to be All that Jazz.

Criterion has Clayton's Room at the Top on Hulu (though I would much prefer The Innocents)

You have to wonder if they have a licensing deal with Lionsgate in the works. I don't know what they would release from Rydell besides On Golden Pond. Much like the only Bill Condon I could see Criterion wanting is Gods and Monsters.
Last edited by ianungstad on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianungstad

#104 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 pm

PfR73 wrote:If there's a Jason Reitman film coming, I'd suspect Thank You For Smoking, which hasn't been released on Blu.
The phantom pages for Jason and Ivan Reitman are just leftovers from their April Fool's lisiting of Kindergarten Cop.

willoneill

#105 Post by willoneill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

ianungstad wrote:The Bob Fosse title has to be All that Jazz.
Why couldn't it be Lenny?

britcom68

#106 Post by britcom68 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 pm

ianungstad wrote:
PfR73 wrote:If there's a Jason Reitman film coming, I'd suspect Thank You For Smoking, which hasn't been released on Blu.
The phantom pages for Jason and Ivan Reitman are just leftovers from their April Fool's lisiting of Kindergarten Cop.
You are absolutely spot on it seems: no forthcoming releases from Jason or Ivan Reitman is the most likely observation. Douglas Cheek's phantom page is still up and there is no plausible way he would have a page except for the April Fool's prank of "C.H.U.D." I very much now feel that Jason Reitman's phantom page is merely leftovers from the "Kindergarten Cop" April Fool's joke of 2012, which also means it is doubtful Ivan Reitman's phantom page is even up as a forthcoming sign for Shivers. Looks like we can call off the hunt for titles associated with those two filmmakers. (I wonder how many months we'll still have to put up with people spreading rummors about any of the Reitmans' films getting a Criterion release on Facebook? :roll: Sigh.)

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#107 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 pm

ianungstad wrote:I don't know what they would release from Rydell besides On Golden Pond.
Two guesses: his performance in The Long Goodbye; or possible a special edition of The Rose.

knives

#108 Post by knives » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm

jwd5275 wrote: Mark Robson
Please be Youth Runs Wild, please be Youth Runs Wild. I'd also take Nine Hours to Rama or Bright Victory though it will probably be Valley of the Dolls.

ianungstad

#109 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Agreed. Especially since Meyer has a phantom page as well. I wonder if they would package both films as a set or just release them as back to back spine numbers.

knives

#110 Post by knives » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 pm

It would probably be as sister spines as they are very different films and Criterion already has a lot of extras for the Meyer film. I do wish they would also pick up The Seven Minutes though so that all of his major films will have a DVD release.

Professor Wagstaff

#111 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 pm

knives wrote:It would probably be as sister spines as they are very different films and Criterion already has a lot of extras for the Meyer film.
Please remind me, were the extras made for the failed Criterion edition of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls scrapped entirely or did some get used for the Fox DVD?

knives

#112 Post by knives » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:27 pm

I believe all of them went on to the Fox edition.

ianungstad

#113 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Just wishful thinking but if these phantom pages mean anything; I hope the Henry Hathaway is for Circus World. Mainly because it would also mean El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire and 55 Days at Peking. It seems unlikely to me that the Weinsteins are still licensing these films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm

knives wrote:
jwd5275 wrote: Mark Robson
Please be Youth Runs Wild, please be Youth Runs Wild. I'd also take Nine Hours to Rama or Bright Victory though it will probably be Valley of the Dolls.
I'm not sure who owns Trial but it was shown a couple years ago on TCM as part of a larger look at Latino representation in cinema, might be some opportunities there for extras, along with a larger look at the under-appreciated genius that is Arthur Kennedy. If any film could benefit from Criterion's rescue it's this-- it would go a long way towards reminding the world of how great a treasure we had in Kennedy (and Robson!)

knives

#115 Post by knives » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Really there are a lot of great choices just out of what hasn't been released before. Assuming it isn't just Valley anything would be a great chance to improve his reputation (which seems to be if my offsite conversations are anything to go by very bad).

AfterTheRain

#116 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 am

jwd5275 wrote:Actually they recently added 7 names:
Bob Fosse
Stephen Roberts
Mark Robson
Jack Clayton
Henry King
Mark Rydell
Henry Hathaway
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for some speculation on these names:

Fosse: Lenny, All That Jazz
Roberts: If I Had a Million, The Story of Temple Drake
Robson: The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Nine Hours to Rama
Clayton: Room at the Top, The Innocents
King: Tol'able David, Wilson, A Bell for Adano
Rydell: The Rose, On Golden Pond, The River
Hathaway: The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Peter Ibbetson, Kiss of Death

These, of course, pertain to their output as director.

matrixschmatrix

#117 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am

Clayton's Room at the Top has been on the Criterion Hulu site for a while, hasn't it?

Professor Wagstaff

#118 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 am

Any Fosse getting the Criterion treatment would make my day. Given the strong relationship they've had with MGM these last 2-3 years, I'm inclined to say Lenny, though the chance to see Star 80 in its OAR would be a dream. With either of those films, their subjects and their director all have rich histories worthy of a stacked bonus features section.

If it were Star 80, here's hoping they can do it as a double feature with They All Laughed.

rwiggum

#119 Post by rwiggum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
knives wrote:It would probably be as sister spines as they are very different films and Criterion already has a lot of extras for the Meyer film.
Please remind me, were the extras made for the failed Criterion edition of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls scrapped entirely or did some get used for the Fox DVD?
What's the story behind this? Why did it get scrapped, and how do we know about it?

knives

#120 Post by knives » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 am

It was during the laserdisc era and basically they couldn't get the DVD rights at the last minute so they cancelled the release in total. A few years later they exchanged the extras they made to be able to put out a couple of Fox titles.

ianungstad

#121 Post by ianungstad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 am

Not all of the extras made it to the FOX Beyond the Valley of the Dolls release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqj1NQK7hS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Film Foundation is currently restoring Fosse's All that Jazz and a number of the phantom pages suggest FOX titles, which is why I think it's pretty much that film. Speaking of The Film Foundation; the restoration of King of Comedy is finally debuting at Tribeca. Hopefully we'll get some news about either a FOX or Criterion release in the near future.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#122 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 am

ianungstad wrote:Speaking of The Film Foundation; the restoration of King of Comedy is finally debuting at Tribeca. Hopefully we'll get some news about either a FOX or Criterion release in the near future.
It's supposedly coming directly from Fox.

jwd5275

#123 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am

A new phantom page for Stanley Kramer

ianungstad

#124 Post by ianungstad » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am

If these phantom pages mean anything I would guess that Stanley Kramer would be for 5,000 Fingers of Dr.T; which has been speculated about in the past and seems to be a popular request.

britcom68

#125 Post by britcom68 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

ianungstad wrote:If these phantom pages mean anything I would guess that Stanley Kramer would be for 5,000 Fingers of Dr.T; which has been speculated about in the past and seems to be a popular request.
There is such a wealth of Kramer films that are all Criterion-worthy it would be difficult to nail down our hopes that Criterion has only gotten the rights to just one film! However, most of the Kramer-related films are not likely Criterion-bound due to studio-rights issues and we know that none of his MGM-related films were acquired by Criterion in the past deals (ie: not releasing On The Beach).

I still hold out hope that the recent death of Jonathan Winters will remind film lovers of the continual restoration issues and disappointly conflicting home media releases of "It's a Mad, mad, mad, mad World."