The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: Criterion Web Site

#76 Post by ianungstad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:Since Rouben Mamoulian has a page on the website, which one of his films would be considered worthy of the Criterion treatment?
Probably The Mark of Zorro. Many of these phantom pages are obviously for Fox titles. Fox has been licensing bigger titles than this to Twilight Time.

Possibly Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1932). It seems that Warner only released it on dvd as a double feature with the 1941 remake. That disc is long out of print and is expensive. There was also some talk about a big Warner precode title from the Wexner talk.

johnnysnatchclub7

#77 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Here's a much more comprehensive list.
Whoa! Thanks for putting that together.

JPJ

#78 Post by JPJ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:Since Rouben Mamoulian has a page on the website, which one of his films would be considered worthy of the Criterion treatment?
City streets and Love me tonight.

triodelover

#79 Post by triodelover » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Make it a pre-code Eclipse set and include Applause, Jekyll and Hyde and Queen Christina.

matrixschmatrix

#80 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

It'd be a waste to put Jekyll and Hyde into an Eclipse set, it already has a marvelous commentary

jwd5275

#81 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Señor Octubre wrote:You might add Fred Coe and Edmund Goulding to that list; both have phantom pages on the site as well.
That's odd. I thought I had Fred Coe on there. Maybe I deleted it at some point since I assumed it was related to to Golden Age of TV set (even though I do admit to liking A Thousand Clowns..)

Señor Octubre

#82 Post by Señor Octubre » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 pm

jwd5275 wrote:That's odd. I thought I had Fred Coe on there. Maybe I deleted it at some point since I assumed it was related to to Golden Age of TV set (even though I do admit to liking A Thousand Clowns..)
No, you were right. It appears that he produced Marty and Days of Wine and Roses from the Golden Age set.

JonasEB

#83 Post by JonasEB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 am

I'd hope it would be one of the Paramount films, particularly City Streets which is completely unavailable.

Minkin

#84 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 am

jwd5275 wrote:Terence Fisher
So should we expect some exciting news about Hammer then? Or is one of his earlier works part of London Films?

Jeff

#85 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Minkin wrote:
jwd5275 wrote:Terence Fisher
So should we expect some exciting news about Hammer then? Or is one of his earlier works part of London Films?
I think the smart money is probably on So Long at the Fair, which I believe is part of the same Gainsborough/Rank library as The Lady Vanishes (now owned by ITV).

MichaelB

#86 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm

ianungstad wrote:Just based off the phantom pages one could make an arguement for these Lionsgate titles:

Terrence Davies - Distant Voices, Still Lives
Distant Voices Still Lives is available in an off-the-shelf HD master, and Criterion has a good relationship with the BFI (which created it).

atcolomb

#87 Post by atcolomb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:
ianungstad wrote:Just based off the phantom pages one could make an arguement for these Lionsgate titles:

Terrence Davies - Distant Voices, Still Lives
Distant Voices Still Lives is available in an off-the-shelf HD master, and Criterion has a good relationship with the BFI (which created it).
Like to see "The Long Day Closes" (1992) as a possible release too.

britcom68

#88 Post by britcom68 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm

johnnysnatchclub7 wrote:
jwd5275 wrote:Here's a much more comprehensive list.
Whoa! Thanks for putting that together.
Just how long these phantom place-holder names have been up is something we do not know, (and may never know) but so far I have not seen this name mentioned on this topic or on facebook. Perhaps it is a new addition, perhaps overlooked on this particular thread:

Bob Fosse http://www.criterion.com/people/120716-bob-fosse

CSM126

#89 Post by CSM126 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I'd die for a Criterion release of Star 80.

britcom68

#90 Post by britcom68 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 am

CSM126 wrote:I'd die for a Criterion release of Star 80.
Star 80 and Lenny might be the only two logical choices at first glance, since Sweet Charity is on nobody's top-ten list and Cabaret finally has gotten a nice dvd/Blu release just two months ago. However, it is worth noting that the Anniversary edition of All That Jazz and the original dvd release of All that Jazz with commentary/interviews by the late Roy Scheider are both listed as OOP.

britcom68

#91 Post by britcom68 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 am

I noticed today that when you type the name Todd Haynes, either in the search bar or in the Films tab>People you don't bring up any of the films where Haynes contributed to, not as a filmmaker of course since Criterion has not released any of his films, but as supplemental special features contributor. Yet he *does* have a phantom page. I would take that to mean either the link is broken ("why not, it's possible" says Hepburn to Peter O'Toole in The Lion in Winter) and that his phantom People page was suppose to include his video introductions and interviews he contributed to for films *not his own* already in the Collection; or that those phantom [menace] pages are intended to be used only with regards to actual filmmaking contributions (for acting/direction/producing, etc), not for contributing to the special features ("that too is possible").

This is also the case with Martin Scorsese, his >Films>People page does not include his activity as special features/commentary contributor to the Powell-Pressburger films, the only thing that arrises under his own name in either method of looking for people on the Criterion website is Scorsese's own Last Temptation of Christ.

Does this give more weight to the argument that these phantom pages are supposed to be placeholders for filmmaking contributions- not for other activity with Criterion, ie:special features, commentary- and that those with phantom pages simply are there because their own filmmaking contributions have yet to be released by Criterion? If so does that mean Todd Haynes's Far From Heaven might be forthcoming and released alongside the upgrade/Blu Sirk's All That Heaven Allows (as per rummored in the curtain New Years Clue drawing)?

Alan Smithee

#92 Post by Alan Smithee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Looking back at that phantom page list I can't say how much Dumont deserves a criterion release. He has been making small films in his little corner of the universe consistently and it almost seems like he becomes more productive the less people pay attention. Criterion should do one of their stand up for the hated film releases and put out twentynine palms.

britcom68

#93 Post by britcom68 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm

The phantom page for Tony Bill is no longer working. Criterion now re-directs you to "Something Wild" under Tony Bill Films>People search. I hope this is in anticipation on a possible release of one of his directed/produced films, or even hopefully for his participation in Shampoo.

jwd5275

#94 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Professor Wagstaff

#95 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Crazy People gets a spine number [-o<

britcom68

#96 Post by britcom68 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Interesting that I can indeed find it now on my own computer, but I could not find it using the network server where I work. Searching for phantom pages on the Criterion web site, like Tony Bill's career, produces very mixed results.
(This better be worth it Criterion! I want to see [*]Shampoo[*] in the Collection, not Five Corners.)

knives

#97 Post by knives » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Clearly it means we are getting a My Bodygaurd release.

RyanGallagher

#98 Post by RyanGallagher » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 am

I hope I'm not spoiling the fun of searching on the site, or repeating something that has been clearly established on this thread, but you don't need to add the name to the URL, and can simply change the numbers.

bainbridgezu

#99 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am

Stephen Roberts

Perhaps the Pre-Code film mentioned at the Wexner talk is The Story of Temple Drake (a Paramount title now with Universal)?

jwd5275

#100 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

Actually they recently added 7 names:
Bob Fosse
Stephen Roberts
Mark Robson
Jack Clayton
Henry King
Mark Rydell
Henry Hathaway