The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#26 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm

I feel like "My Criterion" could be a sign of perhaps even more interactivity in the site, including more articles and links and written pieces. Couldn't this be just as likely as proof of a future release?

matrixschmatrix

#27 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:23 pm

I get the impression that, if nothing else, every director who has a film on Hulu has one of those blank pages, as I just found ones for Kiyoshi Kurosawa and David Lynch.

captveg

#28 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I get the impression that, if nothing else, every director who has a film on Hulu has one of those blank pages, as I just found ones for Kiyoshi Kurosawa and David Lynch.
I was about to say the same thing. The Hulu channel changes the Criterion library dynamic quite a bit.

Professor Wagstaff

#29 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Ivan Reitman

They teased us with Kindergarten Cop, instead we're having Twins!

bainbridgezu

#30 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm

knives wrote:That explains the lack of Barton Fink.
Dream supplement: Commentary by Michael Lerner in character. Realistically, I'd love a track with Goodman and Turturro.

Calvin

#31 Post by Calvin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Here's some directors with empty pages, I've tried to weed out those with Hulu entries but I may have overlooked some:

Lutfi Akad - Law of the Border
Paul Thomas Anderson - Hard Eight?
Jean-Jacques Annaud - ?
Claude Autant-Lara - ?
Frank Borzage - ?
Frank Capra - ?
Joel/Ethan Coen - Barton Fink?
Terence Davies - ?
Jacques Demy - ?
Metin Erksan - Dry Summer
Jacques Feyder - Carnival in Flanders
Kinji Fukasaku - ?
Abel Gance - ?
Ritwik Ghatak - A River Called Titas
Michel Gondry - ?
Peter Greenaway - ?
Howard Hawks - Red River
Juraj Herz - The Cremator
Mike Hodges - ?
Teinosuke Kinugasa - ?
Kim Ki-young - The Housemaid
Kazuo Kuroki - ?
Emir Kusturica - ?
Claude Lanzmann - Shoah
Frank Lloyd - ?
Ahmed El Maanouni - Trances
Djibril Diop Mambéty - Touki-Bouki
Michael Mann - Thief
Russ Meyer - ?
Emilio Gómez Muriel - Redes
Mike Nichols - Carnal Knowledge?
Christopher Nolan - Following
Sergei Parajanov - ?
Mario Peixoto - Limite
Frank Perry - The Swimmer
Godfrey Reggio - Qatsi Trilogy
Leni Riefenstahl - ?
Koji Shima - Golden Demon
Andre de Toth - Two Girls on the Street
Charles Vidor - ?
Thomas Vinterberg - ?
Frantisek Vlacil - Marketa Lazarova

I've guessed at what title matches up the director, or left it.
Last edited by Calvin on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

matrixschmatrix

#32 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Is Olympia possible for the Reifenstahl, assuming these have any real meaning?

SpiderBaby

#33 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:00 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Is Olympia possible for the Reifenstahl, assuming these have any real meaning?
Olympia is the only one I thought they would have. Hope so.

ianungstad

#34 Post by ianungstad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm

I really hope those are placeholders for future releases on the Criterion site. I would love some Russ Meyer in the collection. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was a FOX release but Criterion produced all the supplements for it. I also pray for the day that crazy lady who owns the US rights to his body of work finally relents and let Criterion or some other specialty label handle distribution instead of selling her shoddy dvds on her website.

As for Davies and Greenaway....Criterion has obviously signed a licensing deal with film4 with recent titles including Naked (blu) and Shallow Grave. It's very likely they also picked up Distant Voices, Still Lives; Long Day Closes and Drowning by Numbers. They are all out of print in R1 and film4 titles.

Jeff

#35 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 pm

ianungstad wrote:I really hope those are placeholders for future releases on the Criterion site. ...Criterion has obviously signed a licensing deal with film4... It's very likely they also picked up Distant Voices, Still Lives; Long Day Closes and Drowning by Numbers. They are all out of print in R1 and film4 titles.
I really hope so too. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Criterion release of Distant Voices, Still Lives.

There are some amazing possibilities all throughout that list. Calvin, the Borzage is History is Made at Night, which I think is on Hulu.

triodelover

#36 Post by triodelover » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Jeff wrote:I really hope so too. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Criterion release of Distant Voices, Still Lives.
Please can we have this on Blu? I'm not sure there's a director at anytime that does a better job of fitting existing music - from Doris Day in her days as a "girl singer" for a big band to Bruckner and Bach - than Davies. The first time I saw Distant Voices I was mesmerized, as I almost always am, by the incredible and powerful voice of Jessye Norman at the beginning of the film. But I didn't understand the significance of invoking the old spiritual until I had seen the whole film. There's a man going' round taking names indeed.

ianungstad

#37 Post by ianungstad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Jeff wrote:
ianungstad wrote:I really hope those are placeholders for future releases on the Criterion site. ...Criterion has obviously signed a licensing deal with film4... It's very likely they also picked up Distant Voices, Still Lives; Long Day Closes and Drowning by Numbers. They are all out of print in R1 and film4 titles.
I really hope so too. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Criterion release of Distant Voices, Still Lives.

There are some amazing possibilities all throughout that list. Calvin, the Borzage is History is Made at Night, which I think is on Hulu.
I'm inclined to believe that they are placeholders for forthcoming titles. It's such an odd mix of directors that it doesn't make sense that they just added a bunch of placeholders for random directors who may or not have titles forthcoming for no reason. Especially considering the number of big name directors absent.

They've been licensing a lot from Sony and some pretty big titles too. I think it's quite reasonable to think that a good chunk of the Columbia Classics line will wind up at Criterion. Charles Vidor = Gilda, Frank Capra = Mr.Smith Goes to Washington, It Happened One Night. Both His Girl Friday and Only Angels Have Wings are both very reasonable guesses for Howard Hawks films to get the treatment in addition to Red River. Emir Kusturica = Black Cat, White Cat from mk2. As for Mike Nichols...I think Janus has the rights to Day of the Dolphin and released it through HVe and they probably have Nichols & May: Take 2 from Westchester which would be a great supplement on a mainline release of Mikey & Nicky. (which was also a HVe release)

Calvin

#38 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 am

One of the more interesting entries is Abel Gance. I'm guessing there's going to be an Eclipse set rather than a Napoleon release though.

Sergei Parajanov probably means that Kino doesn't have the Blu-Ray rights to his work.

jwd5275

#39 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 pm

In addition to Calvin's list, I found:

Philippe de Broca
Jean-Paul le Chanois
Ian Dalrymple
Henri Decoin
Jean Delannoy
Maurice Elvey
John Guillermin
Hikaru Hayashi
Brian Desmond Hurst
Richard Lester
Edouard Molinaro
Yoshimitsu Morita
Errol Morris
Yoshitaro Nomura
Dino Risi
Robert Rossen
Jean Rouch
Peter Stein
Robert Stevenson
Arne Sucksdorff
Henri Verneuil
Terence Young

EDIT: Add
Anthony Pelissier
Ralph Thomas
Last edited by jwd5275 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peacock

#40 Post by Peacock » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

It's got to be Napoleon, Criterion were involved with press and things for the last screening or something, as posts here confirmed.

And Criterion confirmed twice via email and posted online that they had the 'rights' to Olympia and were planning a release - the last was over 6 years ago though from what I remember.

Rouch, I'm guessing would be prime Eclipse material.

And regarding movielocke's list above, Rossellini's History Films v2 isn't coming anytime soon, going by comments made by Tag Gallagher on the v1 thread on this very board.

matrixschmatrix

#41 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I would guess that Brian Desmond Hurst is just listed because of The Lion Has Wings, De Broca might just be on as an assistant on Le Beau Serge and The 400 Blows (though I remember rumors about King of Hearts at one point.) Ian Dalrymple is the director on Hulu'd The Divorce of Lady X. Hikaru Hiyashi is the composer for Onibaba. Yoshitarō Nomura is AD on The Idiot. Rossen is probably just that weird Alexander the Great listing that showed up for a while and has now disappeared. Peter Stein was the cinematographer on C.H.U.D.. Robert Stevenson directed King Solomon's Mines.

If laserdisc titles got put in there at some point, that would explain Terence Young (the Bond movies) and Edouard Molinaro (writer on La Cage aux Folles.)

I'm also wondering if there's going to be a Gabin in the 50's Eclipse- that would account for Jean Delannoy (Maigret tend un piège), Henri Decoin (Razzia sur la chnouf), Jean-Paul Le Chanois (Les Misérables), and Claude Autant-Lara (who also comes up) (En cas de malheur)
Last edited by matrixschmatrix on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#42 Post by knives » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Ian Dalrymple is the director on Hulu'd The Divorce of Lady X
No, that's the lovely Tim Whelan. Dalrmple was a line producer for The Lion Has Wings though and helped to write The Divorce of Lady X.

jwd5275

#43 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I figured Nomura was a sign they were possibly going to put out Castle in the Sand eventually. Stevenson is also the director of Non Stop New York, which is in all those old Janus film catalogs. I believe the same goes for Dalrymple who directed Storm in a Teacup, Terence Young who directed Corridor of Mirrors and Hurst who directed Playboy of the Western World.

Calvin

#44 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

There's certainly quite a lot of blank entries. I just found Kozaburo Yoshimura which hopefully means a CC release of The Ball at the Anjo House in the next few years.

jwd5275

#45 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:31 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I'm also wondering if there's going to be a Gabin in the 50's Eclipse- that would account for Jean Delannoy (Maigret tend un piège), Henri Decoin (Razzia sur la chnouf), Jean-Paul Le Chanois (Les Misérables), and Claude Autant-Lara (who also comes up) (En cas de malheur)
or La traversée de Paris...

tarpilot

#46 Post by tarpilot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm

RE: Gabin, here's hoping for Verneuil's People of No Importance!

matrixschmatrix

#47 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Could be, he's another one that comes up.

FilmFanSea

#48 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:40 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Arne Sucksdorff
I've always wanted to see his 1953 semi-documentary film, The Great Adventure / Det stora äventyret, so it's nice to see him listed.

ianungstad

#49 Post by ianungstad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 pm

When it was just a few placeholders on the site, I thought it might indicate future releases but as more and more are found it seems less likely. It's still weird to see all the random placeholders and I wonder why they are there.

There's one for Jason Reitman. I don't see any of his titles being all that likely for a Criterion release. (All of his films seem to have pretty robust dvds)

matrixschmatrix

#50 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 am

Reitman had a bit part in Kindergarten Cop.