Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
felipe

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1726 Post by felipe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am

mindlabcreative wrote: And as far as November being a light month? I don't think I'd be complaining with 54 films coming in December + a few others probably.
Am I the only one who would happily take 54 other films instead of the Olympics set? :-#

Morbii

#1727 Post by Morbii » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 am

felipe wrote: Am I the only one who would happily take 54 other films instead of the Olympics set? :-#
Nope. I just haven't said anything so as to not incite a riot.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1728 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

felipe wrote:
mindlabcreative wrote: And as far as November being a light month? I don't think I'd be complaining with 54 films coming in December + a few others probably.
Am I the only one who would happily take 54 other films instead of the Olympics set? :-#
Then you have everything else Criterion released during 2017. They release as much as they have the capacity to. I gather much of this work on the Olympics set was performed by the IOC, with Criterion mostly offering branding.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1729 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the release, including labor, was fully subsidized by the committee in exchange for a sweetheart royalty deal

bjboyer

#1730 Post by bjboyer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 pm

swo17 wrote:
felipe wrote:
Then you have everything else Criterion released during 2017. They release as much as they have the capacity to. I gather much of this work on the Olympics set was performed by the IOC, with Criterion mostly offering branding.
What branding, though? There's nothing in the packaging photos that would advertise this as being from Criterion. Not even a 900 on the spine. (And they seemed to make such a big deal about that fact, too.) Has there been word that the packaging design will evolve before the release?

Also, I'm with felipe, just I'd take it further... I would happily take 10 other films instead of the Olympics set.

Ribs

#1731 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

We don't see the other side of the case, which is presumably where there'll be a tiny #900 and some kind of Wacky C (possibly in sticker form).

movielocke

#1732 Post by movielocke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 am

domino harvey wrote:I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the release, including labor, was fully subsidized by the committee in exchange for a sweetheart royalty deal
i imagine so, but this also basically a full time two year long project for whatever producer (Jason Altman I'd guess?) was in charge, this set, along with Koresky leaving, might actually be why haven't any eclipse sets, nor because the line was dead but because their hands were full with this set and nobody could be spared for eclipse projects.

felipe

#1733 Post by felipe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am

swo17 wrote:
felipe wrote:
I know they release as much as they can, that's why I mentioned a time-consuming 54-film boxset if that's what got them busy to the point of only announcing 4 titles for November.

movielocke

#1734 Post by movielocke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:46 pm

felipe wrote:
swo17 wrote:
felipe wrote: Am I the only one who would happily take 54 other films instead of the Olympics set? :-#
I know they release as much as they can, that's why I mentioned a time-consuming 54-film boxset if that's what got them busy to the point of only announcing 4 titles for November.
don't let one datum fool you, even without the olympics set, criterion is having a peak year (or near peak) in terms of volume of new releases for 2017.

Which must necessarily mean that the olympics box set hasn't impinged their output.

flyonthewall2983

#1736 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Which is a shame because it's basically the same disc as before.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1737 Post by cdnchris » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Jesus, what the hell is with the Christmas-y motif of the cover?

felipe

#1738 Post by felipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 am

Do we know what films are expected to be in that box?

Ribs

#1739 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 am

It will almost definitely be Sixteen Candles / Breakfast Club / Weird Science. There's no evidence at all it'll be anything more than those Universal titles.

John Shade

#1740 Post by John Shade » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:47 am

I'm surprised it'll be the same movies as a box Universal already released which I saw at Best Buy like a week ago. I guess they're banking on the fans who already bought that to understand that the next iteration is worth spending more money.

CSM126

#1741 Post by CSM126 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 pm

John Shade wrote:I'm surprised it'll be the same movies as a box Universal already released which I saw at Best Buy like a week ago. I guess they're banking on the fans who already bought that to understand that the next iteration is worth spending more money.
Let's be honest: if Criterion does proper 4K masters of those films, that alone will make it worth tossing the Universal Blu rays.

Malickite

#1742 Post by Malickite » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 pm

What evidence is there that there will be either a John Hughes or a Wong Kar-wai box set? Other than Criterion teased two (2) Hughes titles and now have the rights to Wong's older works?

Why wouldn't they put out the two Hughes films as separate, consecutive releases like they do almost all the time. And why not bide their time with dolling out the Kar-wais like they do almost all of the time?

Put away your box set boners.

Ribs

#1743 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 pm

The evidence that they've not done the sequential spine thing much at all in recent memory, the last example (going off memory, forgive if wrong) being Chimes at Midnight and Immortal Story and before that State of Siege and The Confession, none of which are popular American films that will be breaking the bank flying off the shelves. It could just be the two titles, but considering they've been bundled in the past it seems more than reasonable Weird Science would be included in this package.

I didn't mention the Wong Kar-wai thing but it was just speculation based on that they'd need to incorporate a rerelease of Chungking Express, which given we now know they're probably doing for Monterey Pop might just happen on its own.

Robespierre

#1744 Post by Robespierre » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Criterion should just remaster everything that Universal has ever released on blu ray, starting with Jurassic Park and The Big Lebowski. Maybe throw in A Beautiful Mind which has shockingly poor A/V quality.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1745 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Robespierre wrote:Maybe throw in A Beautiful Mind
No, don't

Ribs

#1746 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 pm

I've got a bunch of numbers swirling around my head trying to figure out any good reason for Criterion to release A Beautiful Mind

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1747 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Opportunity for some intern to get to speak to Jennifer Connelly

Big Ben

#1748 Post by Big Ben » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:Opportunity for some intern to get to speak to Jennifer Connelly
It better be :: kogonada OR I WILL FUCKING RIOT.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1749 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Beautiful Ugliness (9 mins) ::hoochiemama explores how Howard's film depicts actors talking to one another in shot/reverse-shots

Noiradelic

#1750 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 am

Robespierre wrote:throw in A Beautiful Mind which has shockingly poor A/V quality.
Fitting.