Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1476 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 pm

After the Ingrid Bergman debacle, I don't know how anyone can claim they wouldn't release a far more marketable doc like this solo

dwk

#1477 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:04 pm

I imagine that Criterion will include the rest of David Lynch's short films they have as extras on the doc.

kcota17

#1478 Post by kcota17 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Didn't Liv & Ingmar have a Janus release also?

I can see Criterion releasing Blue Velvet and including the doc on there to justify the re-release.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1479 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:19 pm

If they had the go-ahead to release Blue Velvet it could be barebones and that would be justification enough to give it a spine number

Ashirg

#1480 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Are they still working on Lost Highway?

Dead or Deader

#1481 Post by Dead or Deader » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

beamish13 wrote:
Omensetter wrote:
Graphist wrote:Do you, guys, think the David Lynch documentary will be released on its own or as a supplement to one of his films? I suspect the former.
Yeah, definitely the former. They'd be foolish to tack it onto a release of Lost Highway or The Straight Story, although I'd much prefer that. Maybe I've just kicked and screamed in a college town for too long, but the cult of personality around Lynch is well and alive and includes plenty who'd rather rewatch Blue Velvet for the twentieth time on a big screen rather than explore, well, Kaurismäki.
You're totally right. I think that along with Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Fincher and Christopher Nolan, Lynch has ascended/descended to contemporary Western filmdom's royalty,
the class of director the casual cinephile is willing to follow the career of and could recognize on the street. More than any of the others from said group, though, Lynch has become
famed for his personality and eccentricities, and that seems to imbue him with an especially rabid following. There are scores of directors with oeuvres as challenging and varied as Lynch's, and
it is frustrating to not see them get nearly as much press attention or adoration as him.

While it's easy to blame the distributions who don't push directors who make even challenging fare then Lynch, I think the issue lies with those filmmakers not working in the same operation and not having a strong personality that would spurred a massive cult following. The Lynch fanbase with established when Eraserhead would play weekly in local college towns during the after-hours, with escalating to semi-mainstream stature when Twin Peaks was on the air in the early 1990's. You also have to account his involvement with Transcendental Meditation and other promotions of his other art work. While it bugs certain cinephiles such as yourself that Lynch is stealing the attention away from more interesting filmmakers, I find it impressive that someone of his style has became such a name figure over the years, which has helped him become the "popular surrealist".

John Shade

#1482 Post by John Shade » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 pm

I like Lynch, love Mulholland Dr., but still think this doc should be tacked on to something. Yes, there is a cult around him. I'm just wondering if it is as big as we're making it out to be, especially compared to the Nolan and Tarantino perennially defended by fans crowd. Just now I looked up Lynch's last couple of movies, by the way his most recent movie is now eleven years old and had a stint of a release in this country and scant home video presence, and by and large his movies are low budget productions that haven't seen huge returns--though they end up cult favorites.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1483 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

JohnShade wrote:Yes, there is a cult around him. I'm just wondering if it is as big as we're making it out to be
It is bigger than we're making it out to be, certainly bigger than Tarantino or Nolan

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1484 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 pm

People who don't even give a shit about movies give a shit about Lynch, I wouldn't be surprised if his films are among Criterion's all time best sellers

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1485 Post by cdnchris » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:48 pm

There are people at my job who aren't big on film but like Lynch to varying degrees. So he's well known. I don't see these people buying a documentary on him on the other hand.

Ribs

#1486 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
JohnShade wrote:Yes, there is a cult around him. I'm just wondering if it is as big as we're making it out to be
It is bigger than we're making it out to be, certainly bigger than Tarantino or Nolan
I've no argument he's absolutely one of this elite group that have crossover appeal as an American Auteur with the general population but, come on, do you really think it's more than Tarantino? Tarantino's movies regularly make small fortunes and rack up awards conversation and major actors. Lynch himself is known but I really don't feel any one particular one of his films has entered the popular zeitgeist like Tarantino's have.
Last edited by Ribs on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#1487 Post by knives » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Television>Film when it comes to the popular zeitgeist.

Bruce

#1488 Post by Bruce » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:57 am

Some time ago, I'm sure I saw something in this forum to the effect that Criterion were preparing a Blu-ray edition of Bertolucci's 'The Sheltering Sky'. Has anyone heard anything about this - is it still in the pipeline? Or did I dream it?

Bumstead

#1489 Post by Bumstead » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 am

Bruce wrote:Some time ago, I'm sure I saw something in this forum to the effect that Criterion were preparing a Blu-ray edition of Bertolucci's 'The Sheltering Sky'. Has anyone heard anything about this - is it still in the pipeline? Or did I dream it?
If it happens, this will be a great Criterion release. Just picked up the soundtrack.

Ashirg

#1490 Post by Ashirg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Warner Archive DVD edition was released in October 2016 and is still in print.

HitchcockLang

#1491 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Any idea why Kagemusha BD is showing up smack in the middle of the Coning Soon page with no release date? It already has a plastic case so it can't be that...

ermylaw

#1492 Post by ermylaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:Any idea why Kagemusha BD is showing up smack in the middle of the Coning Soon page with no release date? It already has a plastic case so it can't be that...
It shows that a 2-disc DVD edition is available for preorder coming out April 25. Maybe the DVD is getting repackaged?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1493 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Looks like the DVD will be going from a double-wide case with the old logo to a 2-disc single-width case with the new one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1494 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Remember when July was a big month? Three new releases with limited extras and one upgrade most people have already picked up from BFI. What a lame month

McNulty

#1495 Post by McNulty » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:Remember when July was a big month? Three new releases with limited extras and one upgrade most people have already picked up from BFI. What a lame month
Eh, they've impressively lined up four boxsets in 2017 already. Stalker is one of the most demanded titles ever and will sell like crazy during the B&N sale. I don't see how this year's July is any lesser than 2016's tbh.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1496 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

"I can't wait to see all those great DVD extras from fifteen years ago!"

matrixschmatrix

#1497 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Yeah I'm extremely excited about the actual titles- the only thing I had was the War Trilogy, and I hadn't upgraded to blu on it- but the paucity of supplements on titles this big is kind of shocking. Like, the only thing they actually produced for Stalker, a movie that friends of mine who rarely watch anything made before the 90s love, is a single interview?

jwd5275

#1498 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:Remember when July was a big month?
Referring to the glory days of July 2012?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1499 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Always

L.A.

#1500 Post by L.A. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:36 pm

When they mentioned L'Argent on Facebook, I thought it was the silent one from 1928. Wish it would have been that. As for the other announcenents, boring as hell.