It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 am 

More Olivier Assayas on the way: the man himself spilled the beans at a screening in Toronto of L'eau froide (Cold Water, 1994) Thursday night that the film is forthcoming from Criterion, probably in 2018. The movie has apparently had a checkered distribution history and issues with clearances for its extensive soundtrack, but it sounds like all that has finally been resolved. The screening was supposed to be of a new digital restoration but ended up being a 35mm print instead, so I'm guessing the release is still a ways off. Hope this bodes well for the rest of his early titles becoming more widely available, whether through Criterion or another label. I'm assuming Personal Shopper is in the pipeline too, so it might be a while before Criterion gets around to any of his other films.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm 

Cronenfly wrote:
More Olivier Assayas on the way: the man himself spilled the beans at a screening in Toronto of L'eau froide (Cold Water, 1994) Thursday night that the film is forthcoming from Criterion, probably in 2018. The movie has apparently had a checkered distribution history and issues with clearances for its extensive soundtrack, but it sounds like all that has finally been resolved. The screening was supposed to be of a new digital restoration but ended up being a 35mm print instead, so I'm guessing the release is still a ways off. Hope this bodes well for the rest of his early titles becoming more widely available, whether through Criterion or another label. I'm assuming Personal Shopper is in the pipeline too, so it might be a while before Criterion gets around to any of his other films.

Great news, as that's a fantastic, horribly underseen gem. Here's hoping whatever shifted to make it finally available also applies to Denis' US Go Home and Akerman's Portrait of a Young Girl. . . from the same series.

I've never seen the TV version of L'Eau froide, La Page blanche, and don't know how different it might be, but that's a possible inclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 pm 

Cronenfly wrote:

GREAT news, this has never been issued on DVD in the U.S. and I've been hoping for a decent HD release for some time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

I also love L'eau froide (Cold Water), and its got a great lead role for Virginie Ledoyen, years before she was another 'unattainable free spirit object of fascination for the male lead' in The Beach! (The two things that I'd really hope for in a edition of this film if at all possible would be that television version of the film mentioned above and an interview with the actress) I sent foggyeyes a copy of the film years ago and we had a brief private message conversation about it. I'll copy my thoughts about the film at the time here:
Quote:
I remember that L'eau froide did not leave much of an impression on me the first time I saw it, but I found it grows even better on repeated viewings. Watching it again while I was recording the film I kept thinking that it has influenced many French films since, which have tried to create minimalist or kitchen sink type depictions of teenage life. The one that comes to mind at the moment is Clubbed To Death, which features an central scene of the main couple dancing/making out to the title track (which later became famous in itself as the signature track used in The Matrix), that feels very similar to the one in the Assayas film.

Also a film like The Dream Life of Angels seems to focus on the vagabond theme, the strange wish for rootlessness as a route to purity and self discovery. Though of course Varda's Vagabond is probably the ultimate example of this (and maybe it all goes back to Boudu!)

However the more supposedly 'influenced' films I see, the more I admire L'eau froide which feels much more full of meaning, perhaps because it sketches its scanty plot in such a delicate manner. I like the way that the events remain completely grounded while at the same time suggesting some of the apocalyptic 'end of the world' attitude of children becoming adults, and an ending that feels both realistic and mythical (as Christine sheds her clothes to make love before disappearing to an unknown fate).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 pm 

Quick follow-up: Assayas said at the Clean Q and A that some of his other early titles are coming as well from Criterion, but also that a few remain tied up. Disorder and Winter's Child screened in new digital restorations, so they seem definite possibilities, while Paris Awakens and A New Life are pretty unlikely for now.

Winter's Child looked great, while Disorder had a weird greyish-blue look/cast throughout that does not seem consistent with what few images from the film I've seen online. Don't know if this is revisionism on the part of Assayas, the fault of those doing the restoration, or if this is how the film is meant to look, but it seemed almost Thief extreme to my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 pm 

Cronenfly wrote:
Quick follow-up: Assayas said at the Clean Q and A that some of his other early titles are coming as well from Criterion, but also that a few remain tied up. Disorder and Winter's Child screened in new digital restorations, so they seem definite possibilities, while Paris Awakens and A New Life are pretty unlikely for now.

Winter's Child looked great, while Disorder had a weird greyish-blue look/cast throughout that does not seem consistent with what few images from the film I've seen online. Don't know if this is revisionism on the part of Assayas, the fault of those doing the restoration, or if this is how the film is meant to look, but it seemed almost Thief extreme to my eyes.

It makes sense that the two you've cited are also coming, as Criterion tends to license in a batch from MK2. These were the titles I had dreamed would even merely show up on Hulu or Filmstruck, so that's killer news. I've only seen Disorder, Winter's Child and Cold Water on the French discs without subs, but the cooler color timing for Disorder sounds right (I remember a lot of low-or-unlit nighttime interiors).

I'll be traveling from Montreal to Toronto expressly for Paris Awakens and hopefully again the following week for A New Life, as the films are absolutely impossible to see otherwise. I think Paris Awakens is with Gaumont but I'm not entirely sure.