It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm 

How did you guys miss Alex's “I just got the Criterion Collection of Clueless, so I’ll see you guys later. I hope not sporadically!” line?

Post subject: Re: Happy Endings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I'm sure someone could do a supercut of all the make believe Criterion Collection jokes on assorted TV shows. It's not even a recent trend, Autumn Reeser did one eight years ago on the OC!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

Oh wow, that's the first time I ever heard Criterion Collection mentioned on a show. I never saw the OC but Autumn Reeser won me over with her short stint on Entourage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Her character on the OC at one point also invites Rachel Bilson over for a sleepover to watch the Decalogue!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

O.C. producer Josh Schwartz is quite the cinephile, I remember Hilary Duff saying "I love Go-dard" on Gossip Girl.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 am 
Dot Com Dom

Ha, and by happenstance, just yesterday I watched an episode of the OC where Ryan Atwood of all characters is shown handling the Criterion edition of Solaris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 am 

Do they talk in depth about the debate surrounding the blue tinting to the scenes, or was it the Blu-ray? I need to know immediately!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm 

Luke M wrote:
How did you guys miss Alex's “I just got the Criterion Collection of Clueless, so I’ll see you guys later. I hope not sporadically!” line?
Luke M wrote:
Oh wow, that's the first time I ever heard Criterion Collection mentioned on a show. I never saw the OC...

Well, I assume this means you ignore my posts entirely since I've pointed out both of those Criterion Collection mentions almost the day after the episodes aired. I will try not to take this personally and hope that my ego recovers slowly over time.

domino harvey wrote:
I'm sure someone could do a supercut of all the make believe Criterion Collection jokes on assorted TV shows
It would obviously start with Kenny Powers offering Stevie his "Criterion Collections" edition of Friends, Season 6 (and Eastbound & Down actually made their reference to Criterion on the same week as Happy Endings).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 pm 

There's also the scene in Delocated where Jon Glaser tells FBI agents to get a Russian mole "the Criterion edition of Face/Off, it's got extras on it".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Andre Jurieu wrote:
Well, I assume this means you ignore my posts entirely since I've pointed out both of those Criterion Collection mentions almost the day after the episodes aired. I will try not to take this personally and hope that my ego recovers slowly over time.

I just spent actual minutes confirming his story and it checks out. Points subtracted for not mentioning in a timely fashion that Ryan's dad used Frank Perry as his pseudonym, though

Do we have an OC thread? I recently finished the whole series (as you could probably guess from the last couple posts here) and it's one of the few shows I can think of that actually got drastically better in its last season!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 pm 

In the last season of "Fringe", Walter laments having to destroy his laserdisc player by saying, "Criterion Collection, forgive me."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
Dot Com Dom

It's a little scary that Googling "Criterion Collection references" already turns up this thread as the fifth hit, considering I only just split it off minutes ago!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
It's a little scary that Googling "Criterion Collection references" already turns up this thread as the fifth hit, considering I only just split it off minutes ago!

I've actually had quite a few instances where googling information on films (even ones not in the collection) have returned with this site ranking among the first few hits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

There's an episode of Frasier where Niles tries to talk everyone into watching The Unbearable Lightness of Being and he's holding the Criterion version. Ross doesn't approve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 am 

I think the DiNozzo character on NCIS name-dropped Criterion once (ironic considering both the actor playing the character and Mark Harmon are both in Criterion films).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:32 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Discussion of the OC moved to the Josh Schwartz thread

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am 

I remember in Gossip Girl, one of the characters was going to a friend's house to have a marathon session of Berlin Alexanderplatz.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 pm 

Although not in an actual episode, one of the commentary tracks of "Parks and Recreation" talks about a hopeful future Criterion edition of "Parks and Recreation" releases.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 pm 

roujin wrote:
I remember in Gossip Girl, one of the characters was going to a friend's house to have a marathon session of Berlin Alexanderplatz.

And, of course, in The Critic, Jay Sherman declares they (he and his son Marty) will rent Berlin Alexanderplatz ... to wit, Marty replies "Again?"

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:59 pm 
Dot Com Dom

domino harvey wrote:
Her character on the OC at one point also invites Rachel Bilson over for a sleepover to watch the Decalogue!

Did Criterion just tweet out screencaps of this scene?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

I was quite tickled at some of the "Criterion" references in the new season of MST3K. the two that I remember off the top of my head were jokes relating to Tati in Reptilicus and Solaris in Cry Wilderness.