FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
movielocke

Re: Filmstruck

#726 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:34 pm

D50 wrote:
movielocke wrote:Man I had such trouble last night trying to stream big deal on madonna street that I eventually gave up and left it unfinished.
Watched that yesterday and the subtitles were out of focus.
Well they were big and soft, probably a result of upconverting an old digibeta with burnt in subs?

Perkins Cobb

#727 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm not clear - are all of the newly added titles being noted here staying on there for good, or are some being rotated off eventually?

I'll probably never cave and stream any of this stuff, but the one exception I'd been tempted by was bingeing the zillion Kinoshitas that were on Hulu. It'd suck if the one use I sort of had for Criterion streaming ended up disappearing with the transition.

Noiradelic

#728 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 pm

The majority are titles that are being rotated; some are being added to the permanent Criterion library.

A list of most of the Hulu exclusive titles that weren't available on Filmstruck when it was launched. Scroll to bottom.

The rest.

Most of these have not been added since. Search individual titles on FIlmstruck to make sure.

I made a point of watching the exclusive titles I wanted to see most on Hulu before they lost them.

Perkins Cobb

#729 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Noiradelic wrote:I made a point of watching the exclusive titles I wanted to see most on Hulu before they lost them.
I considered doing that, but I figured if I did they'd all get Blu-rays the next month.

D50

#730 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Criterion Collection supplements added:

Sword of Doom - 1 supplement and commentary
The Virgin Spring - 3 supplements and commentary

D50

#731 Post by D50 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 am

Added to the Criterion Channel:

Thirst
Scenes From a Marriage: Episode 1-6
Secrets of Women
A Lesson in Love
The Silence
Fårö-dokument
Crisis
Port of Call

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (1 supplement)

matrixschmatrix

#732 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 am

D50 wrote:Added to the Criterion Channel:

Thirst
Damn, before I realized the context I thought maybe they'd picked up the Park Chan-Wook movie.

jwd5275

#733 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am

Bergman's The Rite is also up

MichaelStockCA

#734 Post by MichaelStockCA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Good to see these Bergman films on Criterion Collection now. I think all of them were on Hulu back in the days and I was always puzzled that they were not available on FilmStruck CC. There are still some films missing that I would expect to be available, for example Rossellini's Age of Medici and Cartesius (Blaise Pascal is available) or Sjöman's I Am Curious - Blue (Yellow is available)

On a different note, I noticed a few days ago that Woody Allen's Another Woman and Costa-Gavras' Amed had disappeared from the FilmStruck collection. Because they were on my to-watch-list I contacted the Help Chat and a friendly lady told me that sometimes films get deleted by mistake. She promised to notify the people in charge. I'm very pleased to see that they uploaded the films again (Another Woman expiring end of March)

D50

#735 Post by D50 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 am

more Criterion Channel additions:

Scenes From a Marriage theatrical version
Dreams
Hour of the Wolf
The Passion of Anna

Ribs

#736 Post by Ribs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Going *way* ahead in the categories listings. but a few weeks from now the double feature on the Criterion Channel will be Voyage to Italy paired with the Trip to Italy, which I'll take as a fairly good sign that Criterion might be hoping to do a set of the three Trip films once the third one's ready for home video.

D50

#737 Post by D50 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Criterion Channel add:

Three Daughters (1961) - 160 min

Filmstruck Bergman added:

The Best Intentions

Filmstruck add:

Roxie Hart

D50

#738 Post by D50 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:18 am

Supplements added:

Summer with Monika (5 supplements)
Fanny and Alexander — The Theatrical Version (5 supplements)
Through A Glass Darkly (2 supplements)
Scenes From a Marriage: Episode 1 (3 supplements)

D50

#739 Post by D50 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

D50 wrote: A Lesson in Love
The Bergman cameo.

Commentary and 7 supplements added to Orpheus.

D50

#740 Post by D50 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Criterion Channel adds:

Tuesday's short: A Dog's Life (1918)
Youth of the Beast

Commentary added - When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

There are now two pages for When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - the Filmstruck (non-C) page is the one with the commentary, the Criterion C one does not.

Minkin

#741 Post by Minkin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm inserting another /repeated thanks to D50 and jwd and everyone else who's been posting updates here. Its been of great help.

My question:

At one point - there were three ways to tell if it was a Criterion title vs regular Filmstruck title: 1) the cover image had a wacky C on it, (2) - it was on the Criterion channel, and (3) - when played, it opened with either a Janus or Criterion logo.

One and two are easy enough to find out - but has anyone checked with the third option regularly? I ask - because When a Woman Ascends the Stairs seems (in the above image) - like it would've been skipped under some of the above criteria. Thats fine when its an already released title we know about - but what about something more obscure? I'm not asking that someone checks every single non-Criterion branded title to find if something were missed - but if someone with an account (or working access to the website) could see if some suspect films begin with Janus / Criterion logos.

I know that even some films with Criterion branding don't even have the Janus / Criterion logo start (I think I remember someone saying the Bunuel Robinson Crusoe did/does that - so unless they've since gotten their act together, it seems like it could be complicated. I'm sure they don't want to give away as to everything they own / have licensed anyway.

D50

#742 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:23 am

Commentary added to Stray Dog.

D50

#743 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 am

Minkin wrote: At one point - there were three ways to tell if it was a Criterion title vs regular Filmstruck title: 1) the cover image had a wacky C on it, (2) - it was on the Criterion channel, and (3) - when played, it opened with either a Janus or Criterion logo.

One and two are easy enough to find out - but has anyone checked with the third option regularly? I ask - because When a Woman Ascends the Stairs seems (in the above image) - like it would've been skipped under some of the above criteria. Thats fine when its an already released title we know about - but what about something more obscure? I'm not asking that someone checks every single non-Criterion branded title to find if something were missed - but if someone with an account (or working access to the website) could see if some suspect films begin with Janus / Criterion logos.

I know that even some films with Criterion branding don't even have the Janus / Criterion logo start (I think I remember someone saying the Bunuel Robinson Crusoe did/does that - so unless they've since gotten their act together, it seems like it could be complicated. I'm sure they don't want to give away as to everything they own / have licensed anyway.
I check now and then for Janus / Criterion logos - last one was The Best Intentions during the Bergman drop (no Janus or Criterion logo).

Robinson Crusoe also has the C logo faux cover - left shows as a search result, and the right shows when you click on it's page.

Image Image

D50

#744 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Lone Wolf and Cub has it's own theme / banner page with all 6 films. All have 1 supplement (trailer) with the first - Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance, having 8 supplements:

Lame d’un père, l’âme d’un sabre
Kazuo Koike on LONE WOLF AND CUB
Kazuma Nozawa on LONE WOLF AND CUB
On Suio-ryu
Sword of the Samurai
Shogun Assassin
SHOGUN ASSASSIN Trailer
Original Theatrical Trailer

D50

#745 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Does anyone stream Filmstruck using an ipad? Any successes?

movielocke

#746 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

They window box everything within a 16:9 window on the iPad. So even though it has a 4x3 ratio, watching 4x3 movies is terrible since their service cannot dynamically scale to screen format

dustybooks

#747 Post by dustybooks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Everything looks pretty good on my Fire tablet, assuming you're OK with viewing on a screen that size in the first place. I had Rules of the Game on last night and it didn't appear windowboxed...

D50

#748 Post by D50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

^ Thanks everyone.

unclehulot

#749 Post by unclehulot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am

I have written to Filmstruck 3 times about the lack of correct scaling on IPads but they seem unable/unwilling to correct the problem of this "postage stamp" effect on 4:3 material. Don't they understand how to setup a toggle to fill the screen fully? There are also some titles that aren't correctly scaled for the Firetv/Apple TV apps (like War and Peace) which have thick bars on all 4 sides of the screen. How do we get through to someone there who will solve these problems. As much as I like many things about FilmStruck, there's still a lot of amateur hour going on with their service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jwd5275

#750 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 pm

The Party (1968) has a forthcoming Filmstruck page which is what the Blake Edwards phantom page is likely for.