Dot Com Dom

Re: Filmstruck

#751 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Kino Lorber out that out on Blu-ray already

jwd5275

#752 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:14 pm

The Party
Possibly another 'Criterion Channel' release that they only have temporary stream rights to. I suspect that they have some grand plan to integrate the Criterion Filmstruck Channel with their own website, so anything that shows on the channel ends up having a phantom page (which would explain all the phantom pages for the Filmstruck shorts)

Minkin

#753 Post by Minkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:Kino Lorber put that out on Blu-ray already
Things have been going weird with MGM lately. It seems like a lot of their films are going elsewhere/being swapped around (Twilight Time) or they've refused to renew any rights.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if MGM no longer have rights to The Party - and Janus now owns it. This would be exactly in line with the metric ton of other MGM lapsed titles (Lodger, Blood Simple, Tom Jones, Bergman films, etc etc etc etc) that Criterion bought. Its even going on with Universal (Mulholland Dr) - so I'm sure this will be a trend with many films as the studios no longer care for any of their catalog. So rather than license from MGM for like 2-3 years (like TT or in this case Kino), Criterion has decided to just buy the films outright (I suspect the MGM Truffauts will meet the same fate).

ianungstad

#754 Post by ianungstad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

MGM has not lost the rights to The Party. I'm not even sure this is going to be on the Criterion channel on Filmstruck.

The phantom pages that have been appearing the last few months have been closely tied with Filmstruck additions. To what end? Who knows.

D50

#755 Post by D50 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Seven supplements added to Ugetsu.

Minkin

#756 Post by Minkin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:24 am

ianungstad wrote:MGM has not lost the rights to The Party. I'm not even sure this is going to be on the Criterion channel on Filmstruck.
Someone sent me this from the Filmstruck page that jwd linked.

They also sent me some other relevant info:

-That other MGM films on Filmstruck don't have Criterion branding (Henry orient, Marat/sade, etc).
-That everything on the Criterion channel is either Janus, IFC or the few "limited streaming engagements" - which have always been already released Criterion titles (Black Stallion, Something Wild, etc).

I think only the Corman titles are the only other oddities that have turned up in the Criterion section - that can't be readily/easily explained (other than Criterion now having the rights to them - I couldn't blame Corman for wanting a better legacy with his films than Shout Factory).

Not to stress the issue - and I know some will be content with the Kino Blu. But for Forthcoming list sakes - unless this is a mistake by an intern, I think this points towards an eventual Criterion disc. Who knows, perhaps this is somehow related to some odd contract with the Mirisch Corporation - which would then explain the phantom pages / Misterlime hints for things like West Side Story, Great Escape, Magnificent Seven, Thomas Crown Affair (Jewison page), etc.

Ribs

#757 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 am

I think the idea they're just gearing up the Criterion site for some kind of Filmstruck-incorporated rejig seems like the easiest explanation; as nice as it'd be to have Criterion just wholesale acquire the rights to all of these titles it's also kind of horrifying to think the MGM library as we've known it is basically disappearing before our eyes. That and I've felt the Criterion site as it stands right now seems just a bit outdated.

D50

#758 Post by D50 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

Touching the Void added to the Criterion Channel.

jwd5275

#759 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Minkin wrote:They also sent me some other relevant info:

-That other MGM films on Filmstruck don't have Criterion branding (Henry orient, Marat/sade, etc).
-That everything on the Criterion channel is either Janus, IFC or the few 'limited streaming engagements' - which have always been already released Criterion titles (Black Stallion, Something Wild, etc).

I think only the Corman titles are the only other oddities that have turned up in the Criterion section
Everything on the Criterion Channel is not just "Janus, IFC or the few 'limited streaming engagements' - which have always been already released Criterion titles". For example the the Athina Rachel Tsangari titles. They are still in print from Strand Releasing and start with the the Strand title sequence. There is no reason to think that if a Shout! or Kino title showed up, they necessarily had lost the rights either.

A much better distinction is between the titles is between the ones that start with the Criterion Collection or Janus title sequence (which covers all the Janus and limited streaming engagements of already released titles, as well as many of the IFC titles) and the titles that begin with the Criterion Channel title sequence (which covers many of the IFC titles not already released, the Shout! Cormans, many of the Tuesday short films). They are making a clear distinction themselves that the Criterion Channel titles are exclusive to the online channel. Now this doesn't mean that they are not going to physically release Flight of the Red Balloon or Touching the Void in the future, but it's definitely not a surefire bet.

Minkin

#760 Post by Minkin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Everything on the Criterion Channel is not just "Janus, IFC or the few 'limited streaming engagements' - which have always been already released Criterion titles". For example the the Athina Rachel Tsangari titles. They are still in print from Strand Releasing and start with the the Strand title sequence. There is no reason to think that if a Shout! or Kino title showed up, they necessarily had lost the rights either.

A much better distinction is between the titles is between the ones that start with the Criterion Collection or Janus title sequence (which covers all the Janus and limited streaming engagements of already released titles, as well as many of the IFC titles) and the titles that begin with the Criterion Channel title sequence (which covers many of the IFC titles not already released, the Shout! Cormans, many of the Tuesday short films). They are making a clear distinction themselves that the Criterion Channel titles are exclusive to the online channel. Now this doesn't mean that they are not going to physically release Flight of the Red Balloon or Touching the Void in the future, but it's definitely not a surefire bet.
Thanks for sort of clearing that up. Perhaps if I could ever get Filmstruck's site to work again for me, I wouldn't be as reliant on others.

For the forthcoming list - I'm adding everything that ends up on the Criterion channel - as I'm treating that as though Criterion have the rights. As it at least shows an interest in the title + perchance they might release it at some point. If I were to do anything else, it would become far too complicated.

As to The Party - I still find it rather odd that there's other MGM films on Filmstruck, but not on the Criterion channel. I assume its not playable just yet (to see how it starts)? Perhaps someone could ask what egotistical comeback Mister Lime has towards this? I suppose even if Criterion did have the rights, we wouldn't see a release for quite some time (knowing their busy schedule). I also suppose we don't know all the complexities going on just yet with streaming rights and their Criterion channel. But as a person who would love a Criterion edition of Touching the Void and The Party - I'd certainly see both of these additions as a positive towards that end.

So again, regardless of what oddities are added to the Criterion channel, keep posting them and I'll add them to the streaming list - as we'll find out eventually whether they ever come to disc.

And to make things more complicated -someone messaged me saying that Nights of Cabiria was added and with this cover:

D50

#761 Post by D50 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Minkin wrote:And to make things more complicated -someone messaged me saying that Nights of Cabiria was added...
Does not start with either a Criterion or Janus logo.

movielocke

Filmstruck

#762 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 am

Fucking hell in The middle of watching the 1960s something wild I just got the same stupid error about an expired ticket, presumably because i started it last night but got to sleepy to finish it so I resumed this evening and apparently in he middle of watching it tonight I hit the 24 hour mark and boom the movie suddenly cuts out completely replaced with a pop up window about an expired ticket .

Stupid stupid irritating bug. Now I have to go reset the protected content settings again but oh wait after spending some time failing to get the web method of doing this to work on various different browsers I finally find out that adobe has moved these controls from their obscure web address to a local toggle in the system preferences. That's actually a nice change and worth noting for everyone that when FilmStruck does one of their constant failures you can reset the settings locally now on a mac at least.

Maddening to have a film interrupted for all this nonsense.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#763 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 am

Sounds better than the film's actual ending

D50

#764 Post by D50 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:51 am

Added to Filmstruck side:

La terra trema
Shoeshine
movielocke wrote:... error about an expired ticket,

...Now I have to go reset the protected content settings again but oh wait after spending some time failing to get the web method of doing this to work on various different browsers I finally find out that adobe has moved these controls
One thing I found out for me on a pc, with that error I just close and rehit play and it starts again, sometimes where I left off.

My frozen screen spinning wheel buffering issue has gotten a lot better. Still getting tech support why don't you try this love notes. This one checked for connectivity with their server, and I sent them a screencap of my results:

Open the Windows Run box by pressing the Windows key and the letter R.

Type CMD and press enter to open the command prompt.

Type "ping " followed by the IP address to ping. ... ping d2c-vod.cdn.turner.com -t

Type "-t" after the IP address to run the ping continuously.

Press Control and the "C" key at the same time to stop the ping and see the summary statistics. Do this to end a continuous ping or stop a ping command before completing the specified number of packets.

kidc85

#765 Post by kidc85 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:55 am

Minkin wrote:-That other MGM films on Filmstruck don't have Criterion branding (Henry orient, Marat/sade, etc).
Marat/Sade is on Filmstruck? I can't see it.

Minkin

#766 Post by Minkin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 am

kidc85 wrote:
Minkin wrote:-That other MGM films on Filmstruck don't have Criterion branding (Henry orient, Marat/sade, etc).
Marat/Sade is on Filmstruck? I can't see it.
I think it was taken off in that first big batch of titles, but I'm just going from the info I'm sent.

Has there been any other Criterion titles (things that we obviously know they have the rights to - like Seven Samurai, etc) - where they have Criterion branding but don't start with Criterion/Janus logos (I think this might've been the Robinson Crusoe example I was thinking of)? It just seems really odd for them to use the Criterion design / cover for Nights of Cabiria. And it would be a rather mean tease if they didn't have the rights to it (as the return of Studio Canal titles is always sought). Somebody had to make the image + add the wacky C for it to go up there. Either way, I'll make a note of it on the Criterion OOP thread.

Have there been any other Studio Canal films on Filmstruck? I know there's been Miramax, but I'm not sure whats going on anymore with those films (I think the new bond holders ended their Studio Canal / Lionsgate contract?).

jwd5275

#767 Post by jwd5275 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Ran was on from the beginning, but gone now that the Kurosawa theme is gone.

movielocke

#768 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Chrome cast now works from the iPhone app

Minkin

#769 Post by Minkin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:22 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Ran was on from the beginning, but gone now that the Kurosawa theme is gone.
Did it use the Criterion cover when it was on?

D50

#770 Post by D50 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Added to the Criterion Channel:

The Elephant God
The Coward
Le Grand Amour, + 1 supplement

Commentary and 6 supplements added to L'Avventura
Commentary and 3 supplements added to Border Radio
Last edited by D50 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugsy_pal

#771 Post by bugsy_pal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Minkin wrote:
ianungstad wrote:MGM has not lost the rights to The Party. I'm not even sure this is going to be on the Criterion channel on Filmstruck.
Someone sent me this from the Filmstruck page that jwd linked.

They also sent me some other relevant info:

-That everything on the Criterion channel is either Janus, IFC or the few "limited streaming engagements" - which have always been already released Criterion titles (Black Stallion, Something Wild, etc).

I think only the Corman titles are the only other oddities that have turned up in the Criterion section - that can't be readily/easily explained (other than Criterion now having the rights to them - I couldn't blame Corman for wanting a better legacy with his films than Shout Factory).

Not to stress the issue - and I know some will be content with the Kino Blu. But for Forthcoming list sakes - unless this is a mistake by an intern, I think this points towards an eventual Criterion disc. Who knows, perhaps this is somehow related to some odd contract with the Mirisch Corporation - which would then explain the phantom pages / Misterlime hints for things like West Side Story, Great Escape, Magnificent Seven, Thomas Crown Affair (Jewison page), etc.
Was it ever determined what the dancers from the 2014 New Year's drawing represented?

I was sure it was 'The Party', but then Kino came out with their bluray. I'd love to see a better one from Criterion...

Ashirg

#772 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

All That Jazz or La Dolce vita?

D50

#773 Post by D50 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 am

Roads to the South (Les Routes du sud) added to Filmstruck.

Foam

#774 Post by Foam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Last month one of their featured "limited engagements" was Ace in the Hole. There was a big beautiful banner indicating that this engagement would end on the 28th. On the 26th I logged in and clicked on the big beautiful banner. On this page was an expansion of this banner, a description of Ace in the Hole's importance, and a bunch of special features for Ace in the Hole, but no way to watch Ace in the Hole. When I searched for Ace in the Hole in the Filmstruck (and Criterion Channel) catalog, it wasn't there. I complained about this and heard nothing back.

This month one of their featured "limited engagements" is Something Wild (not the Jonathan Demme film but the recently restored 1960s film released on Blu-ray in glistening black and white widescreen). Luckily when I clicked on this film's big beautiful banner there was an option to actually watch it. But there was no Criterion or Janus logo. Instead a blurry United Artists logo opens a dirty job full of artifacts (edit: in the incorrect aspect ratio).

I also recently tried to show Koyaanisqatsi to a friend through the web browser version. The oft-mentioned jutter and crunching aural hiccup is not so noticeable in the discordant use of sound and vision for something like 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her. But with Koyaanisqatsi you feel every digital burp which distorts the wall-to-wall Philip Glass score or Fricke's hypnotic slow motion effects. (Tried on both Firefox and Chrome with updated Flash and a cleared cache).

Really a bummer of a service.
Last edited by Foam on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#775 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm

The 60s Something Wild isn't pan and scan, it's open matte