FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
unclehulot

Re: Filmstruck

#1101 Post by unclehulot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

jedgeco wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
albucat wrote:David Bordwell posted that it's for anyone with a .edu address.
That really sucks, considering that LQ teaches adult education film courses but isn't on staff anywhere to get a .edu. If anyone figures out another way, please post it here.
A note on the website says " If your university doesn’t provide you with a .edu email address, contact Customer Service to sign up. Your account will be reassessed every 6 months to verify your status."
I have an .edu address but had signed up with my gmail address. I wrote to customer service and they allowed me to keep my current gmail login, so as to avoid having to enter over 100 films again in my watchlist (and lose playing positions). They “whitelisted” my gmail address, so I would guess that if one can establish educator credentials it should be possible. There was some difficulty in getting the right registration page to display (cookies, cache, history problems I guess) but it DID work eventually.

On another subject, I just spot checked a few of the Bimal Roy films added the other day, and the ones I checked all seem to be some kind of 1:85 zooms of what I believe should be academy ratio originals? They look pretty horrid. I’m not terribly interested in them, but I’m curious as to how/why they ended up with these versions....TCM ran some of them a few years ago in correctly framed versions.

Btw, I like the new layout, but it’s odd navigating with Apple TV (gen 4). It seems to have gone from slightly unresponsive to much too fast and jerky...I’m always overshooting what I’d like to select. Also, I wish they would allow the remote to skip forward or back a few seconds with the left or right side of the trackpad as most services allow.

MichaelStockCA

#1102 Post by MichaelStockCA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Btw, I like the new layout, but it’s odd navigating with Apple TV (gen 4). It seems to have gone from slightly unresponsive to much too fast and jerky...I’m always overshooting what I’d like to select
I experience the same. Having a hard time navigating and selecting. And now it takes a lot longer for the website to load on Apple TV and laptop.

The new website looks better and has some improvements, but some things changed for the worse. For example, when hovering over a film thumbnail in the past, you would see a pop-up of title, director, year of release, running time and summary. Now you see only title and summary. For more information you have to open the film's page. Very annoying and I contacted help desk about the issue. The guy said he will forward it to the programming people. Let's hope for the best.

What also disappeared is the "View All" option for collections, recently added, and popular titles. Why? They added, however, the expiring date and a Leaving Soon section, which I appreciate.

movielocke

#1103 Post by movielocke » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm

unclehulot wrote:
jedgeco wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote: That really sucks, considering that LQ teaches adult education film courses but isn't on staff anywhere to get a .edu. If anyone figures out another way, please post it here.
A note on the website says " If your university doesn’t provide you with a .edu email address, contact Customer Service to sign up. Your account will be reassessed every 6 months to verify your status."
I have an .edu address but had signed up with my gmail address. I wrote to customer service and they allowed me to keep my current gmail login, so as to avoid having to enter over 100 films again in my watchlist (and lose playing positions). They “whitelisted” my gmail address, so I would guess that if one can establish educator credentials it should be possible. There was some difficulty in getting the right registration page to display (cookies, cache, history problems I guess) but it DID work eventually.

On another subject, I just spot checked a few of the Bimal Roy films added the other day, and the ones I checked all seem to be some kind of 1:85 zooms of what I believe should be academy ratio originals? They look pretty horrid. I’m not terribly interested in them, but I’m curious as to how/why they ended up with these versions....TCM ran some of them a few years ago in correctly framed versions.

Btw, I like the new layout, but it’s odd navigating with Apple TV (gen 4). It seems to have gone from slightly unresponsive to much too fast and jerky...I’m always overshooting what I’d like to select. Also, I wish they would allow the remote to skip forward or back a few seconds with the left or right side of the trackpad as most services allow.
tap on the left side or right side of the remote to jump in fifteen second increments no need to click, just tap. First tap will pause it, second tap jumps fifteen seconds forward or back. More taps jump fifteen seconds each

Oxidized

#1104 Post by Oxidized » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

The 197-minute roadshow version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World didn't show up on Dec. 1 with the film even though it's listed as a special feature, so I asked the Help Desk about it. Still nothing as of yesterday, so I asked them again and got "yes, you've asked already, we'll let you know when we have an update." I wouldn't be so ill about this except the movie is only available for a month, and holiday events will cut into my viewing times. Nimble and responsive, they're not.

And the film descriptions, especially on the Filmstruck side, are written like high school book reports.

jwd5275

#1105 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 pm

Invasion of the Astro-Monster, War of the Gargantuas, Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are all English dubs (which I don't mind since I'm watching them with a seven year old)

jwd5275

#1106 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

New on the Criterion channel today:
Cheri, 2009 Frears
Supermarket Woman, 1996 Itami

Dead or Deader

#1107 Post by Dead or Deader » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Any word on the January additions to the Criterion Channel?

albucat

#1108 Post by albucat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Not yet. That seems to have gotten lost in the holidays. I'd guess that information will arrive early this next week.

Dead or Deader

#1109 Post by Dead or Deader » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:49 am

Channel Additions:
Anatomy of a Murder(Otto Preminger)
No Country for Old Men(Joel and Ethan Coen)
Tokyo-Ga(Wim Wenders)

Big Ben

#1110 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:55 am

Dead or Deader wrote:Channel Additions:
It would be pretty badass to see this in a physical format release from Criterion. That's a completely unexpected addition for me.

Dead or Deader

#1111 Post by Dead or Deader » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:18 am

Big Ben wrote:
It would be pretty badass to see this in a physical format release from Criterion. That's a completely unexpected addition for me.
It's an limited addition to the Adventures in Moviegoing series, including an interview with Mary Kerr. Highly doubted it would be lend over to a third party source.

flyonthewall2983

#1112 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:55 am

Plus it has a pretty fabulous Blu-ray release out anyway.

albucat

#1113 Post by albucat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Not as much as usual, though it's easy to speculate that this is a result of the holiday season. For anyone wondering about which Arkadin version, it's all of them since it's the Wednesday full edition release. My curiosity is whether things will be in HD--it's the only Welles they have which isn't available on blu-ray, and even though it's my least favorite of his movies I'd really like an upgrade (maybe make it coincide with Ambersons....). Anyhow, without further ado:

Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel this month:

January 1
Anatomy of a Murder, Otto Preminger, 1959
No Country for Old Men, Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007

January 9
Together, Lukas Moodysson, 2000

January 10
The Complete Mr. Arkadin, Orson Welles, 1955

January 16
Yours Faithfully Edna Welthorpe (Mrs), Chris Shepherd, 2017

January 18
The Lure, Agnieszka Smoczyńska, 2015

January 23
And the Whole Sky Fit in the Dead Cow's Eye, Francisca Alegria, 2016

dex14

#1114 Post by dex14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 am

Dead or Deader wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
It's an limited addition to the Adventures in Moviegoing series, including an interview with Mary Kerr. Highly doubted it would be lend over to a third party source.
The comments say that CC will release it.

Roger Ryan

#1115 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 am

albucat wrote:...For anyone wondering about which Arkadin version, it's all of them since it's the Wednesday full edition release. My curiosity is whether things will be in HD...
I was told the "Comprehensive Version" of Arkadin was assembled in HD; considering it is primarily made up of footage from the other two versions, it's logical to assume an HD scan was performed for everything (even though the 2006 release was DVD-only). If the streaming feed comes from master files, it should be in HD, right?

albucat

#1116 Post by albucat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 pm

That's a good point about the transfers, but those older transfers usually look rough if they're just put onto Blu-Rays (because while done in HD, they're really intended for dvd).

There's no mention of CC and No Country in their press release. Here's exactly what it says:

Earlier this year, award-winning memoirist and poet Mary Karr joined Rome Film Festival artistic director Antonio Monda to talk about her personal journey through cinema. Among the favorite films she discussed was Joel and Ethan Coen's 2007 Cormac McCarthy adaptation No Country for Old Men, which we're bringing to the Channel this month for a limited engagement, along with a new introduction by Karr. In this bloody, moody neowestern set in rural Texas, Javier Bardem delivers an Oscar-winning performance as a psychopathic hit man on the trail of a Vietnam veteran who has taken a stash of two million dollars from a crime scene.

dwk

#1117 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am

Filmstruck is launching in the UK, no mention of Criterion/Janus

Edited to add: The Hollywood Reporter does mention Criterion:
The FilmStruck service will draw primarily on the Warner Bros. library and the Criterion Collection library, as well as other global and local content partners.

FilmStruck’s launch in the international marketplace will "leverage the strength of assets at both companies, bringing together a broad and diverse movie catalog as well as long-standing expertise in programming and curation," the partners said.

"FilmStruck will offer film lovers a broad collection of high-quality and critically-acclaimed movies across many categories – mainstream, cult, independent, classics, art house, foreign and documentary film," they said. "The eclectic but highly accessible content will also feature curated themes, exclusive bonus material including cast interviews, Criterion original mini-documentaries and hosted introductions, and original artwork. The collection will be regularly refreshed, providing movie fans with a trusted source of quality films and a simple and engaging way to discover content."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1118 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Still waiting for it to be on any of the three different modern streaming devices I have in my living room.

Self

#1119 Post by Self » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

For the PS4 it went from early 2017 to late 2017, to early 2018, to we are working on it.

aox

#1120 Post by aox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a Roku, Apple TV, Smart Samsung TV, and a PS3 and have never seen a Filmstruck option. How do people use this service? Just mirror it from their computer?

Werewolf by Night

#1121 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm

There are apps available for Roku and the 4th/5th gen Apple TV. It also works with Chromecast from your iOS or Android device.

Ribs

#1122 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:51 pm

For a Roku or Apple TV, it's a channel you have to search for and add in the App store or equivalent place. It's not going to just installed on everyone's automatically.

You can also mirror it, I guess, but that's a bit more ropey than a real app.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1123 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm

aox wrote:I have a Roku, Apple TV, Smart Samsung TV, and a PS3 and have never seen a Filmstruck option. How do people use this service? Just mirror it from their computer?
For Roku: https://help.us.filmstruck.com/hc/en-us ... t-for-Roku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1124 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I have an OLED LG Smart TV (i.e. a higher end model that cost a pretty penny that has great SmartTV app support), a PS4, and an Xbox One. I refuse out of principle (though I've had these devices in my hand sort of grumbling to myself several times) to take up another HDMI slot and spend more money on an Apple TV or Fire TV Stick or any number of other things just so I can get FilmStruck in the living room. But clearly, I'm the one losing as it's been years now without the ability to subscribe and enjoy it.

aox

#1125 Post by aox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks