The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

#201 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 pm

movielocke wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:14 pm
They made an all films list (only on desktop for now)

https://films.criterionchannel.com
All these navigation improvements are happening very quickly - really, bravo to this team for being so receptive to people's justifiable gripes out of the gate.

I've added the all films list to the lead post of this thread.

chatterjees

#202 Post by chatterjees » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm

What's the deal with KAILI BLUES by Bi Gan? How is that showing up on Criterion's channel? The distributor is Grasshopper film and they have already released the film on DVD/BD in USA. It just seemed odd to me that Criterion would advertise their channel using a film that is owned by a different company.

yoloswegmaster

#203 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 pm

chatterjees wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm
What's the deal with KAILI BLUES by Bi Gan? How is that showing up on Criterion's channel? The distributor is Grasshopper film and they have already released the film on DVD/BD in USA. It just seemed odd to me that Criterion would advertise their channel using a film that is owned by a different company.
You do realize that Criterion is licensing films from other companies?

#204 Post by 371229 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm

I watched Come and See today. The PQ looked like a poorly compressed DVD. If these are the best film elements they have, I can understand why they haven't released this film on blu ray yet. It was watchable... but just barely. It reminded me of the good old Facets DVD days. ](*,)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#205 Post by tenia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:18 am

The movie has recently been restored in 4K and will be released in Fall 2019 by Potemkine on BD in France.
From what I saw so far, the restoration seems to look very nice.

dukeofarcadia

#206 Post by dukeofarcadia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

alexrinse wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm
Really upset that Criterion would have Pop up suggestions interrupt the end credits
They seem to have added this on the Roku app today, it wasn't there yesterday. Also, they've removed all the left-hand menu sections and most of the settings, including the one to stop the wretched autoplay, which now it seems one cannot stop.
Why would Criterion do this? This horrible Auto Play credit interruption seems to go against everything they claim to stand for... And why can't we turn it off, the credits are part of the cinematic experience (the swelling of the music and the meditative experience of what you just took in) And there is no way to have the complete full experience of a film, if a pop-up/autoplay interrupts it...

I really how more people will speak up about this so we can at the very least have the option to turn off the credit interruption

Like why take the option away from us, so strange?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#207 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Especially when the pop-up (or attempted pop-up) appears even BEFORE the credits start -- as In Andrei Rublev. Pretty annoying to not really be able to see the last 90-120 seconds of the film...

alexrinse

#208 Post by alexrinse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 am

I did mention it (gently complained) when I logged with them the other bugs I had encountered. I can't imagine they would let this remain too much longer (fingers crossed).

aox

#209 Post by aox » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:19 am

I found this Google Spreadsheet in the Reddit forums. It might be helpful to see what is missing in the gaps. This is not my work.

CC Spreadsheet

Some curious things I noticed. For example, with Fellini, Nights of Cabiria is up, but La Dolce Vita is not.

TraverseTown

#210 Post by TraverseTown » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Anybody else feel that they put the Columbia Noir collection at the very top of their debut to sort of draw attention away from how their permanent library is very lacking in classic Hollywood films? The TCM side of Filmstruck filled in that gap, which is very obvious now without it.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#211 Post by soundchaser » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 am

I’m watching The Circus right now, and I’m not surprised we’re still waiting for the Blu-Ray of this one, given the state of the materials. The whole thing looks very waxy, there are huge tram lines running through, and the audio’s generally not up to snuff. I’d be shocked if Criterion didn’t try to clean it up some more before we see it on disc.

schellenbergk

#212 Post by schellenbergk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 am
I’m watching The Circus right now, and I’m not surprised we’re still waiting for the Blu-Ray of this one, given the state of the materials. The whole thing looks very waxy, there are huge tram lines running through, and the audio’s generally not up to snuff. I’d be shocked if Criterion didn’t try to clean it up some more before we see it on disc.
I started watching "Pay Day" (one of the First National Shorts) and had the same reaction. In fact I clicked it off hoping they'll get around to it in the not-too-distant future.

Blutarsky

#213 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:13 am

Potemkin is also on the channel with updated Criterion, Janus logos. It looks very unhealthy with stability/warping throughout the whole print. Best sequence that looks restored a bit is Odessa.

Noiradelic

#214 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 pm

TraverseTown wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:52 pm
Anybody else feel that they put the Columbia Noir collection at the very top of their debut to sort of draw attention away from how their permanent library is very lacking in classic Hollywood films? The TCM side of Filmstruck filled in that gap, which is very obvious now without it.
The TCM "side" (the films, not the business parthership) was added long after FilmStruck launched, in reaction to the public's complaints. Hollywood films were always part of Filmstruck's themed temporary "collections" featured on their front page and the current temporary Columbia noir collection is completely consistent with that. If anything, the themes on Filmstruck were more prominently displayed on the front page than the ones on Criterion Channel.

Anyone who's followed Criterion's streaming selection from Hulu to Filmstruck to the Criterion Channel has been well aware of what the permanent library consisted of.

unclehulot

#215 Post by unclehulot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 pm

TraverseTown wrote:Anybody else feel that they put the Columbia Noir collection at the very top of their debut to sort of draw attention away from how their permanent library is very lacking in classic Hollywood films? The TCM side of Filmstruck filled in that gap, which is very obvious now without it.
And the TCM side of Filmstruck ultimately led to its demise, imho. Keep it the heck away. The Janus/Criterion library is the core of this service, and I’m sure they’ll have to good sense to do limited runs of films owned by various studios, but not become beholden to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albucat

#216 Post by albucat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm unsure if they're going to start putting these out on the current or emailing them to subscribers, but here's the list of what's coming to Criterionchannel next month:

Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel this month:

River of Grass, Kelly Reichardt, 1994
Wendy and Lucy, Kelly Reichardt, 2008
Meek's Cutoff, Kelly Reichardt, 2010
The Fallen Idol, Carol Reed, 1948
The Third Man, Carol Reed, 1949
What Price Hollywood?, George Cukor, 1932
Dinner at Eight, George Cukor, 1933
Our Betters, George Cukor, 1933
Little Women, George Cukor, 1933
Sylvia Scarlett, George Cukor, 1935
Camille, George Cukor, 1936
The Women, George Cukor, 1939
A Woman's Face, George Cukor, 1941
Two-Faced Woman, George Cukor, 1941
Gaslight, George Cukor, 1944
Unrelated, Joanna Hogg, 2007*
Archipelago, Joanna Hogg, 2010*
Exhibition, Joanna Hogg, 2013*
The Night of the Hunter, Charles Laughton, 1955
Mother, Albert Brooks, 1996
I Killed My Mother, Xavier Dolan, 2009*
White Heat, Raoul Walsh, 1949
Tidy Up, Satsuki Okawa, 2011
Moonrise, Frank Borzage, 1948
Girlfriends, Claudia Weill, 1978
The Day He Arrives, Hong Sang-soo, 2011*
On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong Sang-soo, 2017*
Claire's Camera, Hong Sang-soo, 2017*
45 Years, Andrew Haigh, 2015*
Three Examples of Myself as Queen, Anna Biller, 1994
A Visit from the Incubus, Anna Biller, 2001
The Hypnotist, Anna Biller 2001
Viva, Anna Biller, 2007
The Love Witch, Anna Biller, 2016
Padre Padrone, Paolo Taviani and Vittorio Taviani, 1977
The Night of the Shooting Stars, Paolo Taviani and Vittorio Taviani, 1982
Kaos, Paolo Taviani and Vittorio Taviani, 1984

*Available in the U.S. only

Personally, I'm very curious about who's supplying a few of these movies (The Third Man, for instance).

aox

#217 Post by aox » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:13 pm

I'm almost positive Night of the Hunter is up (maybe in the Arthouse section). Can't confirm right now.

unclehulot

#218 Post by unclehulot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am

And the 3 Taviani titles and Moonrise are also up already.

TraverseTown

#219 Post by TraverseTown » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 am

unclehulot wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
The pages and trailers are up, but the films themselves aren't.

unclehulot

The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

#220 Post by unclehulot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 pm

TraverseTown wrote:
unclehulot wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
The pages and trailers are up, but the films themselves aren't.
That’s what I experienced on the IPad app and FireTv, but Apple TV plays them. Strange.

dadaistnun

#221 Post by dadaistnun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 am

Apologies if this is mentioned up thread or elsewhere, but I noticed that some films are listed as “limited engagement” in their descriptions. The Columbia Noirs are up through June 30. The Charles Burnett titles are up through June or September 30 depending on the film. To Sleep With Anger is the only Criterion title I’ve come across thus far with an expiration date.

This certainly helps with planning on what to watch - hopefully they will keep doing this when possible.

Yaanu

#222 Post by Yaanu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:43 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 am
Apologies if this is mentioned up thread or elsewhere, but I noticed that some films are listed as “limited engagement” in their descriptions. The Columbia Noirs are up through June 30. The Charles Burnett titles are up through June or September 30 depending on the film. To Sleep With Anger is the only Criterion title I’ve come across thus far with an expiration date.

This certainly helps with planning on what to watch - hopefully they will keep doing this when possible.
I believe if you search "limited engagement" then you'll find the films that will expire.

dwk

#223 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Criterion Channel tweeted that "We'll be posting a "leaving soon" lane once the first batch of departing titles gets down to its last 30 days, so check you'll always have advance notice."

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#224 Post by ando » Wed May 08, 2019 2:43 am

Despite Barry Jenkins' impression about Jules Dassin's Uptight ("Nobody's Seen It!") I wasn't aware that it was in The Collection. I've only seen bad to watchable copies. Nice surprise tonight. I don't think the script is as tight or focused as a film like The River Niger, which also deals with the splinterering of a Black revolutionary group and would be a great addition if they could present a fine edition of the original source material, but Uptight has its moments. I think the Boris Kaufman camerawork tipprd the scale in favor of CC inclusion, though its hardly his best work.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#225 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 am

Olive already put it out on Blu-Ray