Essential Fellini

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Close The Door, Raymond

Re: Forthcoming: Fellini Box Set

#26 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 am

I wonder how many "Fellini 100" screenings (at repertory theaters and film festivals) have been postponed? And will this affect the box set release date?

Luke M

#27 Post by Luke M » Wed May 06, 2020 5:03 pm

I sold off all my Fellini Criterions in January in anticipation for this box set. Kinda hope it's still on track for end of the year.

Ovader

#28 Post by Ovader » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Kino Lorber Studio Classics announced they will release in September Fellini’s Casanova so as mentioned elsewhere I have no idea if they will play nice to have the film in the forthcoming Box Set from Criterion.

FrauBlucher

#29 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Will the KLinsider answer the question of whether this will be licensed to CC for inclusion? So far no one on that other forum hasn't even connected the dots yet to the Fellini Boxset.

black&huge

#30 Post by black&huge » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Kino Lorber just likes to try to ruin anything it can.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Hard to say. Based on who they choose to represent them online, KL does seem like the kind of business to tell Criterion to fuck off. However, they are a business, and I can just as easily see then sub licensing for the right amount of money. So I guess we’ll see.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Kino is, absolutely, in just the terms of their place in the market, Criterion’s biggest competitor, but I don’t think there’s bad blood between them. Cohen (which is generally more antagonistic with the way it has pounced on titles CC and others were working on) was willing to play ball for Faces Places (and I think some Fellinis are expected to be from them?). I think the big factor that moves the mountains to get them to work together is the filmmakers’ estates; if Fellini’s family or what have you is an active part of the licensing and assembly of the box (as is the case with Rosalie Varda), they will get their rightsholders to do what they want. I also think if Kino is offered some percentage of sales for licensing (which is possible) they’d take it because this will probably sell extremely, extremely well.

dwk

#33 Post by dwk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Is Casanova a Universal title? It is possible that Criterion licensed the film for the box set, while Kino got the individual release rights. Much like The Serpent's Egg and Arrow ('though that was an MGM title.)

Ribs

#34 Post by Ribs » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Most of these labels get exclusive licenses of some kind, so the assumption is they are actively choosing waiving that if someone is able to license it in addition.

ellipsis7

#35 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:42 am

There exists a relatively new restored HD master (in1080P not 4K) for CASANOVA that was used a while back for the French Gaumont BluRay...

These are the 5 new Fellini restorations that were touring Italy for Fellini 100 - maybe the basis of the Criterion boxset?
Ricorre il centenario della nascita di uno degli autori più celebrati della storia del cinema mondiale, Federico Fellini. Per l’occasione la Cineteca di Bologna, in collaborazione con CSC - Cineteca Nazionale e Istituto Luce-Cinecittà, riporta nelle sale italiane cinque suoi capolavori in versione restaurata.

LO SCEICCO BIANCO
(Italia/1952, 85')
Restaurato da Cineteca di Bologna in collaborazione con RTI-Mediaset e Infinity presso il laboratorio L'Immagine Ritrovata

I VITELLONI
(Italia/1953, 104')
Restaurato da CSC - Cineteca Nazionale e Istituto Luce - Cinecittà

LA DOLCE VITA
(Italia-Francia/1960, 180')
Restaurato da Cineteca di Bologna in associazione con The Film Foundation, CSC - Cineteca Nazionale, Pathé, Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé, Mediaset e Medusa Film, Paramount Pictures e Cinecittà Luce. Con il sostegno di Gucci e The Film Foundation

(Italia/1963, 138')
Restaurato da CSC - Cineteca Nazionale e Istituto Luce - Cinecittà in collaborazione con RTI-Mediaset

AMARCORD
(Italia-Francia/1974, 127')
Restaurato da Cineteca di Bologna con il sostegno di yoox.com e il contributo del Comune di Rimini. In collaborazione con Cristaldifilm
Precede Amarcord Fellini (8'), un montaggio di provini, tagli e doppi di Amarcord curato da Giuseppe Tornatore
To that, you could maybe add the 4K restoration of LE NOTTI DI CABIRIA and possibly LA STRADA, IL BIDONE & GIULIETTA DEGLI SPIRITI...
Last edited by ellipsis7 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#36 Post by tenia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:55 am

Casanova was through Carlotta in France. It's a HD master but a quite dated one.

La Dolce Vita is the 2012 restoration already released.
The White Sheik is the restoration recently released by Canal in the UK and in France (and Arthaus in Germany).
Amarcord is a new 4k Ritrovata'd restoration.
Not sure about 8 1/2.
I seem to recall I Vitelloni is a new restoration performed along The White Sheik.

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:58 am

Ribs wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm
Most of these labels get exclusive licenses of some kind, so the assumption is they are actively choosing waiving that if someone is able to license it in addition.
It's not so much waiving it outright as agreeing a limited concurrent release, usually with contractually-mandated restrictions attached - not being able to sell the titles outside a box set, limiting the number of boxes in circulation, etc.

A case in point: Milestone was able to distribute the Martin Scorsese Presents Polish cinema boxes because Criterion agreed to let them handle titles like Ashes and Diamonds under various strict conditions - and I seem to recall the number of boxes that they were allowed to sell in the US formed part of those conditions. I also believe that the UK versions of the Godzilla and Jacques Demy boxes were made possible thanks to the BFI coming to a similar arrangement over the original Godzilla and Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

Lowry_Sam

#38 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:13 pm

The burning question for me is whether Criterion will start releasing the titles from the box on UHD discs soon after the box gets released like it did with AK 100, which I never picked up because it was dvd. I doubt some Fellini titles would ever get a UHD release, however other titles (La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, Amarcord) would be at the top of the list for an upgrade if & when Criterion starts rolling them out.

FrauBlucher

#39 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Yolosgemaster "wondered" on the other forum whether KL will license Casanova to CC for the box. That post has either been ignored or has been pushed back so far that the KLInsider didn't see it. Maybe the question can be asked again being that he has started answering question again.

yoloswegmaster

#40 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:42 pm
Yolosgemaster "wondered" on the other forum whether KL will license Casanova to CC for the box. That post has either been ignored or has been pushed back so far that the KLInsider didn't see it. Maybe the question can be asked again being that he has started answering question again.
Don't remind me of my failures...

FrauBlucher

#41 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 pm

I'm surprised the topic has has been neglected by it's members over there, but maybe I shouldn't be

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 pm

They are way more invested in when some 1981 made for ABC movie starring Tom Wopat will be released, &c

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 pm

I don't know what difference it makes anyway. If it doesn't end up being included in the set and you want to own it, you'll be able to buy the Kino at that time. Better deal than us fans of Prison got

FrauBlucher

#44 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:51 pm

That rationale is an affront to my anal retention

knives

#46 Post by knives » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 pm

A.k.a. rights are complicated the box set.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Essential Fellini

#47 Post by soundchaser » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Holy smokes, though, what a beautiful looking design.

Luke M

#48 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Gonna have to pick up that KL Casanova after all. Can't complain too much, set looks super nice.

therewillbeblus

#49 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Should we open this in the Cover Art thread and get the strong feelings on this over with before the actual announcements? Those individual sleeve designs vary, but La Dolce Vita's alien sunburn is abominable.

I really hope they do individual upgrades for certain titles like the Bergman set. I really just want Juliet of the Spirits.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#50 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Has the longer version of Marcello Mastroianni: I Remember ever been released in the US?