Criterion Web Site

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
sevenarts

#76 Post by sevenarts » Tue May 23, 2006 9:46 pm

yea, in the grand scheme a logo doesn't affect my enjoyment of the films at all, but this new one is annoying just from a design standpoint, and i don't think the new covers with this on it look quite as good as the old ones. it'd be really easy to fix, too, it's really just the placement that bothers me. i think it'd be better even if it was simply moved up so it was exactly in the corner, like this quick hackjob i did on kicking & screaming:

now i just can't understand why they wouldn't do it this way instead of having the C randomly floating out in the middle of nowhere.

the tabs are lousy design too, but not quite as bad as that C.

Jem

#77 Post by Jem » Tue May 23, 2006 11:59 pm

sevenarts wrote: now i just can't understand why they wouldn't do it this way instead of having the C randomly floating out in the middle of nowhere.
errr, because if the logo is too close to the edge the printer would trim it off, these guys aren't subtle, they would trim the pack prints with a can opener if they could.
sevenarts wrote:the tabs are lousy design too, but not quite as bad as that C.
Please, can we keep this in perspective.

ImageImageImage

Jean-Luc Garbo

#78 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed May 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Good point, Jem, but why can't they put the tabs on the top of the DVDs instead of that "C"?

hammock

#79 Post by hammock » Thu May 25, 2006 2:45 am

AMB wrote:Good point, Jem, but why can't they put the tabs on the top of the DVDs instead of that "C"?
Now there is a good idea. Guess it's too late, but we moved them CC folks before (I'd like to think), so maybe there is a chance...

toiletduck!

#80 Post by toiletduck! » Thu May 25, 2006 9:49 am

Gotta voice my dissent regarding tabs on top 'afore people start flooding Mulvaney (or Mulvaney, Pt. II, whatever his name is) with e-mails, althought I don't necessarily think that would or should have an effect.

A large part of the appeal of the tabs for me is the reference look they carry. They appear to have a wrap-around effect carrying over from the spine. Whether they will or not is of little consequence to me, but I enjoy the outsider aspect of it, the fact that the tabs are super-imposed to provide quick reference (I think the vertical text also adds to this image).

If you place them on top, you are left with one of two options -- leave the text as is and have it read upside-down (which I think everyone can agree would be stoopid on all counts), or flip the text, thereby turning the tab design (which like it or not is at least a new departure for Criterion) into a poor man's substitute for The Line: shrunken down, in a box, and with a year. The effect? Those who like the tab design will be pissed that it got moved, and those who prefer The Line will be pissed because the tab design now reminds them how much they enjoyed The Line even more. Lose-lose situation, my friends.

And that's not even touch on the utter ineffectiveness of an image appearing to wrap-around the top of a DVD as opposed to the spine.

[/campaign]

-Toilet Dcuk

Gigi M.

#81 Post by Gigi M. » Thu May 25, 2006 10:39 am

Jeff wrote:Criterion could make that Wacky C a lot less annoying to me by simply outlining it and making it transparent.
What an excellent idea. Can someone provide an artwork illustrating Jeff's idea?

pmunger

#82 Post by pmunger » Thu May 25, 2006 11:42 am

I don't really know how to explain this but they could remove the "C" from the paper of the sleeve and add it to the plastic layer of the case in a "feel mode" but then maybe it's too complicated.

HerrSchreck

#83 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 25, 2006 12:00 pm

And another thing-- when you apply the new lotion directly to the rash you hafta be very sure there's no trace of the green crabs ointmen... uh

oh shit. Wrong product-bitching page.

godardslave

#84 Post by godardslave » Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:oh shit. Wrong product-bitching page.
don't worry, Herrschrek my little friend, its all just one big internet really.
The main point is to bitch about something incessantly, ignoring both everyone elses opinion and all rational thought processes.

Cinesimilitude

#85 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu May 25, 2006 12:37 pm

well said dcuk. I agree with you. I think I would prefer criterion to keep the line as it has been, but go back to having no image above the line, cause then the artwork and logo are seperate, no overlap, neither imposed on top of the other, just like the first 50 spines were, and what MoC has done so far.

HerrSchreck

#86 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 25, 2006 2:10 pm

godardslave wrote:...my little friend...
(Squeak of recliner rolling away from desk. Rustling sound.)

silence. then,

(>*SNAP*< of retracting tape measure..),

(>*enormous lawn-hose type winding-sound*<)

(>*fabricy sorta massive stuffing sound, then **ZIP!**<)..

Schreck looks up.

"Haw haw haw," sliding back under desk. Thumbs suspenders out then snap em back onto expanded chest, "surely you cannot possibly, eh," exhales proudly & buffs nails on lapel, "uh mean ME, sir.."

toiletduck!

#87 Post by toiletduck! » Thu May 25, 2006 2:31 pm

That just had to be the one post of your inimitable style that I completely understood, didn't it, Brotha Schreck?

'Scuse me, I've gotta go wash away the icky.

-Toilet Dcuk

HerrSchreck

#88 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Thereby prearmed with your freshener.

godardslave

#89 Post by godardslave » Thu May 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Schrecks inimitable response duly noted.

Schreck, duck and my good self, i'm thinking we could form an enclave of friendship within this forum.
stop me if this is getting too intimate. :shock:

Jem

#90 Post by Jem » Thu May 25, 2006 11:18 pm

Bill Sikes wrote:Whether there was artwork above the line or not, the old format was elegant and unobtrusive.

I never really liked having a bar of information at the top of the packaging, to me it was like a lid on top of the beautiful image below (Pink Viridiana excluded). It was trying to be invisible by spacing the thin letters out but also trying to be seen, as logo's do. Anyway, spaced out letters is "very" 1988 :roll:

justeleblanc

#91 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 am

And the line feels communist to me. I don't know why it does. I just get this... sense, this communist sense.... yes, like a really long line.... of people at McDonald's..... no, at the CineMoscowtheque.... all waiting to see Strike and October.... they've been in line for years, this horrible line that runs across the top of the DVD cases... people are dying.

Maybe the C is for Communism. Fuck!

pzman84

#92 Post by pzman84 » Fri May 26, 2006 12:57 am

justeleblanc wrote:Maybe the C is for Communism. Fuck!
And soon "The Internationale" will begin to play every time you go to the website.

Cinesimilitude

#93 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 am

pzman84 wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Maybe the C is for Communism. Fuck!
And soon "The Internationale" will begin to play every time you go to the website.
If thats the case, they'll most likely just mirror this for the eclipse logo.

HerrSchreck

#94 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri May 26, 2006 7:36 am

godardslave wrote:Schreck, duck and my good self, i'm thinking we could form an enclave of friendship within this forum.
stop me if this is getting too intimate. :shock:
As much as I admire our good Herr Doktor Dcuk, and as much as I uh y'know like read your posts too 'n stuff, godardslave,

stop. Contact that one Greek dude w the Angelopolis. Or Barmy.lol

Ishmael

#95 Post by Ishmael » Sat May 27, 2006 12:26 am

Jem wrote:Anyway, spaced out letters is "very" 1988 :roll:
For that matter, the name "The Criterion Collection" has a very 1988 ring to it as well. As long as they're updating their corporate image, they ought to come up with a more catchy, modern name. I think "Wacky C" would be perfect.

Jem

#96 Post by Jem » Sat May 27, 2006 2:39 am

Ishmael wrote:
Jem wrote:Anyway, spaced out letters is "very" 1988 :roll:
For that matter, the name "The Criterion Collection" has a very 1988 ring to it as well. As long as they're updating their corporate image, they ought to come up with a more catchy, modern name. I think "Wacky C" would be perfect.

Sorry, spaced out letters is taken.

Antoine Doinel

#97 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but on my computer it seems the "tabs" at the top of the Criterion website are currently disabled (ie. Browse Collection, New Releases etc). Is this happening for anyone else? I'm on a Mac using Safari.

Perhaps a relaunch with an Eclipse tab is in the works?

kinjitsu

#98 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Discussed here earlier today.

DRSchwarz

#99 Post by DRSchwarz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:50 pm

is anyone else finding the page is not loading this afternoon?

kinjitsu

#100 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:17 pm

As mentioned in the above link, the site is being revamped.
Peter Becker wrote:After many years at criterionco.com, our website domain has finally changed to the plain and simple www.criterion.com. That means we've got a big job ahead of us: getting all the existing inbound links updated so that the search engines know where to find us