The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Lists Project

#2201 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 am

RV, the sixties aren’t the next decade list after the fifties, it’s a dry run list for the 2010s (which, actually, I don’t get myself, though I’ll still participate in it!)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2202 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am

OK

Just a general point: I'm just bringing up this conversation because of my own potential needs, and maybe others', but I'll adapt gladly to whatever. It's hard to know even how many films I'll be able to see in the months to come with the uncertainty of events and their consequences.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2203 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

It never hurts to ask, and you’re one of the few members who actually participates in discussion, so for the lists I run your input holds some weight

Ghersh

#2204 Post by Ghersh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:44 am

Quick question, doesn't the overview in the thread "Lists Project Rules and Procedures / FAQ" get updated anymore?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2205 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:52 am

Are you suggesting that anything other than the latest 1940s and 1950s links needed to be updated?

Ghersh

#2206 Post by Ghersh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:26 am

No, just those two as far as I can tell… The next/first lists I will be able to participate are the just for fun 2010s and the Kurosawa list, but I'm already looking forward to those and reading some of the other projects and since that nice and helpful overview of all list projects and their results hasn't been updated for a while I thought I'd ask. Sorry if it seems like a nitpick.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2207 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 am

No worries, I frequently forget to update little things like that

senseabove

#2208 Post by senseabove » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm

I vaguely recall reading about rules for a director's qualification for an auteur list... but I don't see them in the List FAQ.

knives

#2209 Post by knives » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 pm

At least 30 features credited to their name and relatively easy access for at least a decent amount of those titles.

TMDaines

#2210 Post by TMDaines » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 am

senseabove wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm
I vaguely recall reading about rules for a director's qualification for an auteur list... but I don't see them in the List FAQ.
We also seem to sensibly be focussing on people who are either dead or at least no longer active filmmakers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2211 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 am
senseabove wrote:
We also seem to sensibly be focussing on people who are either dead or at least no longer active filmmakers.
Not a consideration. Soderbergh was part of the last ballot for setting our schedule. At least thirty films, express interest from enough forum members (both initially and then when put to a vote), and a likelihood that discussion would be prompted are the metrics

TMDaines

#2212 Post by TMDaines » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
TMDaines wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 am
senseabove wrote:
Not a consideration. Soderbergh was part of the last ballot for setting our schedule. At least thirty films, express interest from enough forum members (both initially and then when put to a vote), and a likelihood that discussion would be prompted are the metrics
Fair enough. I made an incorrect assumption. I think it makes sense there has been more interest in doing directorial lists for filmmakers whose careers are complete and you can look back on the whole body of work. I’d like to do people like Herzog, Wenders; Scorsese, etc. amongst others, but it has less appeal when there’s more to come.

I forgot too that we had done Woody Allen (although some may fairly point out that his career died off a while ago anyway)...

knives

#2213 Post by knives » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Not according to our list. Also we had JLG who is still doing well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2214 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking, and this shouldn't be a surprise to those of you who have been following the downturn lately:

We are currently in the early days of the Sci-Fi List, a 50 title ballot list that everyone said they wanted (just like they wanted Horror done again...). Big genre lists like this should command more voters than the smaller niche genre and Auteur lists, but lately they have not (though it's been a problem across the board with non-decade lists). I won't even go that far in expectations, though: If come April we can't get approximately 25 ballots for Sci-Fi (about what the last two Auteur lists brought in), that's it, we're done with any genre list higher than 10-20 ballot picks. The only upcoming list this would effect is Musicals Redux, which would be jettisoned.

Going forward with these smaller genre and Auteur lists, if we can't maintain a number of submissions at or above 20, I will be halting future lists. It's not worth the effort to tally up thirteen lists wherein the idea of consensus in the final product is meaningless. While I know the function of these lists is often to encourage discussion, I'd be looking at that juncture to transition to some other format, maybe a highlighted discussion thread for remaining Auteurs or genres where there's scheduled months for talking as a board but no list at the end of it?

Open to thoughts and suggestions, but folks, unless things change, the future is not bright for these and I don't think my guideposts here are very outrageous or unreasonable

therewillbeblus

#2215 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 pm

First, I know I'm not alone when I say that I greatly appreciate all the effort you put into these list projects and cannot imagine the disappointment when the participation is lacking. It would obviously be a huge loss, and I personally use these lists as a fun kind of loose book club, and would even go so far as to say they are the highlight of the forum for me most of the time (especially with so few new releases coming out right now). I don't think your parameters are high though, and am really hoping we can get 25 for sci-fi.

I appreciate the backup suggestion of a separate list in a worst-case scenario to keep the fun going for those who are engaged and committed. For selfish reasons I'm crushed at the possibility of a musicals list redux not happening since I've basically already started that as a long-term multi-year personal project in reading (how many books have I bought already?!) and viewing, and pretty eagerly awaiting its arrival. Still, it's heartening to know that even without an actual list, we could do a variation of the project. That selfish part of me wants to say let's finish off the already-planned lists, but honestly 25 is so reasonable that I'm fully on board with your criterion. Sad it's come to this though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2216 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Meanwhile I'm happy to keep doing the decades lists even if it's just me, because that means my list wins!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2217 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 pm
First, I know I'm not alone when I say that I greatly appreciate all the effort you put into these list projects and cannot imagine the disappointment when the participation is lacking. It would obviously be a huge loss, and I personally use these lists as a fun kind of loose book club, and would even go so far as to say they are the highlight of the forum for me most of the time (especially with so few new releases coming out right now). I don't think your parameters are high though, and am really hoping we can get 25 for sci-fi.

I appreciate the backup suggestion of a separate list in a worst-case scenario to keep the fun going for those who are engaged and committed. For selfish reasons I'm crushed at the possibility of a musicals list redux not happening since I've basically already started that as a long-term multi-year personal project in reading (how many books have I bought already?!) and viewing, and pretty eagerly awaiting its arrival. Still, it's heartening to know that even without an actual list, we could do a variation of the project. That selfish part of me wants to say let's finish off the already-planned lists, but honestly 25 is so reasonable that I'm fully on board with your criterion. Sad it's come to this though.
Unless things get very, very bad, I will at least commit to finishing out the rest of the scheduled lists besides that one (three auteur lists and two genre mini-lists), especially since I want more data points before I shutter anything. There just may not be another poll to set the next round of lists near the end of it if things aren't going well

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2218 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:52 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 pm
Meanwhile I'm happy to keep doing the decades lists even if it's just me, because that means my list wins!
As you told me the last time I tried to get you to only count my ballot: actually, you'll end up with fifty orphans

therewillbeblus

#2219 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Unless things get very, very bad, I will at least commit to finishing out the rest of the scheduled lists besides that one (three auteur lists and two genre mini-lists), especially since I want more data points before I shutter anything. There just may not be another poll to set the next round of lists near the end of it if things aren't going well
Just to clarify, does the Musicals list only depend on the Sci-Fi list to exist, and the Mini-Lists depend on each other, or is it a case of 'if we note a downward trend we stop'? Your original post seemed to be separating them into two categories depending internally on themselves, in which case the Musicals list would be an automatic 'go' if we do well with this current genre list, but I'd be worried that if people slack with Preminger and Fassbinder and Czech, for example, that we'd just throw out Musicals even if the past genre list (Sci-Fi, this is supposition from the future) did well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2220 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Musicals Redux and other future, as of yet unscheduled 50 title ballot lists only depends on the Sci-Fi List for now. Mini-Lists and Auteur Lists depend on how the next five do (if Auteur lists can maintain about or even a little less of what the last two have done, they're safe, for instance). But if Mini-Lists and Auteur Lists die on the vine, it is very unlikely any other future 50 title ballot lists would be attempted-- however Musicals Redux would still go forward assuming Sci-Fi metric is met

therewillbeblus

#2221 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 pm

Ok cool, time to recruit all my friends to join this forum.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2222 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Total posts 631894 • Total topics 8135 • Total members 7078 • Our newest member therewillbebluswearingafakemustache
:-k

therewillbeblus

#2223 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm

I've always worn a fake mustache though

senseabove

#2224 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 pm

I'd suggest (again) that lists would do at least a little better if the threads showed up in the Active Topics list, not just Unread Posts. I was a registered lurker/very casual participant for years before ever getting involved enough to go spelunking through the Lists sub-forum, and it wasn't really until I happened to see one that I was particularly interested in that I ever paid attention, and even then I didn't catch onto the rolling format for lists. I'd imagine other new-comers and more casual visitors are likely to miss them too. (In fact, I know one IRL who has said as much!) On one hand I like that, because, now that I'm a "regular," it means I have some idea of the personality and tastes of the regular participants and there are fewer randos dive-bombing discussions. But on the other, if we want more participants, making the entire rolling list structure more visible can't hurt.

If the Musicals list gets cancelled I'm boycotting the board in protest, though. Do with that info what you will.

therewillbeblus

#2225 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 pm

If you do, I’ll lend you my fake mustache so you can sneak back on