Aleksandr Sokurov

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
bigP

Aleksandr Sokurov

#1 Post by bigP » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 am

Aleksandr Nikolayevich Sokurov (1951-)

I think it's my preference for certain aesthetic choices which irritates people, such as my love for German Romantic painting and Romantic art in general.... In the elegies, my romantic idea that film is another life shines through. Film not as a means of communication, but film as another life.

Filmography

Samye zemnye zaboty (1974)

Pozyvnye R1NN (1975)

Leto Marii Voynovoy (1975)

Razzhalovannyy / The Degraded (1980)

Altovaya sonata. Dmitriy Shostakovich / Sonata for Viola: Dmitri Shostakovitch (1981) Ideale Audience / Facets (Flickhead)

Elegiya / Elegy (1985)

Zhertva vechernyaya / Evening Sacrifice (1987)

Terpenie trud / Patience of Labour (1987)

Odinokiy golos cheloveka / The Lonely Voice of Man (1987)

Moskovskaya elegiya / Moscow Elegy (1987) Artificial Eye R2 [as part of the Andrei Tarkovsky Companion] (The Digital Fix), Ideale Audience / Facets R1 (DVD Beaver)

I nichego bolshe / And Nothing More (1987)

Ampir / Empire (1987)

Skorbnoye beschuvstviye / Mournful Unconcern aka Painful Indifference (1987)

Mariya / Maria (1988) Ideale Audience / Facets R1

Dni zatmeniya / The Day of Eclipse (1988)

Spasi i sokhrani / Save and Protect aka Madame Bovary (1989) Les Films du Paradoxe R2 (France), Happinet Pictures R2 (Japan) in Aleksandr Sukorov DVD Box 3, Artificial Eye R2 (UK) as part of The Alexander Sokurov Collection (Director's Cut, 127 Mins [PAL]), Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks (Director's Cut, 133 Minutes [NTSC])

Sovetskaya elegiya /Soviet Elegy (1989) Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Sonata dlya Gitlera / Sonata for Hitler (1989) Bluebell Films R2 as part of Cinema 16 World Short Films (DVD Verdict), Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Peterburgskaya elegiya / Petersburg Elegy (1989)

Prostaya elegiya / A Simple Elegy (1990)

Leningradskaya retrospektiva (1957-1990) / A Retrospection of Leningrad (1957-1990)) (1990)

K sobytiya v Zakavkzye / To the Events in Transcaucasia (1990)

Krug vtoroy / The Second Circle (1990) Kino Video R1 (DVD Talk), Artificial Eye R2 (UK) as part of The Alexander Sokurov Collection

Kamen / The Stone (1992) Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Elegiya iz Rossii / Elegy from Russia (1993)

Tikhiye stranitsy / Whispering Pages (1994) Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Soldatskiy son / Soldier's Dream (1995) Artificial Eye R2 (Special Feature on Father and Son DVD) (The Digital Fix)

Dukhovnye golosa. lz dnevnikov voyny. Povestvovanie v pyati chastyakh / Spiritual Voices (1995) Ideale Audience / Facets R1 (Nostalghia.com)

Vostochnaya elegiya / Oriental Elegy (1996) Medici Arts R1 & R2 zones as part of 3 Films by Alexander Sokurov

Robert. Schastlivanya zhizn / Robert: A Fortunate Life aka Hubert Robert: A Fortunate Life (1996) Artficial Eye R2 (Special Feature on the Russian Ark DVD) (The Digital Fix) / Ideale Audience / Facets R1

Peterburgskiy dnevnik. Otkritie pamyatnika Dostoeskomu / The Diary of St Petersburg: Inauguration of the Monument to Dostoevsky (1997)

Mat i syn / Mother and Son (1997) Artificial Eye R2 (The Digital Fix), Kino R1 (Combustible Celluloid), Fox Lorber R1 (oop) (DVD Beaver)

Smirennaya zhizn / A Humble Life (1997) Artificial Eye R2 (Special feature on the Mother and Son DVD) (The Digital Fix) / Medici Arts R1 & R2 zones as part of 3 Films by Alexander Sokurov, Happinet Pictures R2 (Japan)

Povinnost / Confession (1998) Ideale Audience / Facets R1 (DVD Town)

Peterburgskiy dnevnik. Kvartira Kozintseva / The Diary of St Petersburg: Kozintsev's Flat (1998) Cinema Guild R1 (USA) as part of Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Uzel / The Dialogues with Solzhenitsyn (1999) Ideale Audience / Facets R1

Molokh / Moloch (1999) Soda Pictures R2 (The Digital Fix), Koch Lorber R1 (oop) (Combustible Celluloid)

Dolce... (2000) Medici Arts R1 & R2 zones as part of 3 Films by Alexander Sokurov, Happinet Pictures R2 (Japan)

Telets / Taurus (2001) Lenfilm Video R5, Happinet Pictures R2 (Japan) – in Aleksandr Sukorov DVD Box 3

Elegiya dorogi / Elegy of a Voyage (2001) Ideale Audience / Facets R1 & R2

Russkiy kovcheg / Russian Ark (2002) Artificial Eye R2 (The Digital Fix), Wellspring R1 (DVD Beaver), Seville Pictures R1 (DVD Beaver), Pyramid Home Video R5 (DVD Beaver), Éditions Montparnasse R2

Otets I syn / Father and Son (2003) Artificial Eye R2 (The Digital Fix), Wellspring R1 (DVD Beaver), Nikola-Film R5

Peterburgskiy dnevnik. Mozart. Rekviem / The Diary of St Petersburg: Mozart. Requiem (2004)

Solntse / The Sun (2005) Artificial Eye R2 (DVD Beaver, The Digital Fix), Kino International R1 & BD, TF1 Vidéo R2, Nikola-Film R5

Elegiya zhizni. Rostropovich. Vishnevskaya / Elegy of a Life: Rostropovich, Vishnevskaya (2006)

Aleksandra / Alexandra (2007) Artificial Eye R2 (The Digital Fix), Cinema Guild R1 (DVD Talk), Happinet Pictures R2 (Japan) – in Aleksandr Sukorov DVD Box 3

Chitaem 'Blokadnuyu Knigu' / We Read the Book of the Blockade (2009)

Faust (2011) Artificial Eye R2 / B (UK), Cecchi Gori R2 / B (Italy)

Forum Discussions

Solentse / The Sun

Aleksandra / Alexandra

Oriental Elegy

Moscow Elegy

The Second Circle

Sokurov and the Cinematic Rückenfigur

Discussion of Sokurov's Documentaries on Facets

Faust

Internet Resources

The Official Aleksandr Sokurov Website

The Kinoeye Archive Sokurov - Credited to Kinoeye (Kinoeye, 2010)

Aleksandr Sokurov's Wikipedia Page

An Introduction to the Films of Alexander Sokurov - Gabe Klinger (24fpsmagazine.com)

A Billion Years to the End of Cinema: The Films of Alexander Sokurov - Jaime N. Christely (24fpsmagazine.com)

Mother and Son - Donato Totaro (Off Screen, 1998)

The Elusive Hitler: A Dialogue on Sokurov's Moloch - Benjamin Halligan (with Andrew J. Horton & Donato Totaro) (Kino Eye/Central Europe Review, 2000)

Mat I syn, 1997 (Mother and Son) - Acquarello (Strictly Film School, 2000)

Staring into the Soul: Aleksandr Sokurov's Povinnost - Donato Totaro (Kino Eye/Central Europe Review, 2000)

Angels or UFO's?: Religion, Politics and Science Fiction in Aleksandr Sokurov's Dni zatmeniia - Andrew James Horton (Kino Eye/Central Europe Review, 2000)

Plane Songs: Lauren Sedofsky talks with Alexander Sokurov - Lauren Sedofsky (ArtForum, 2001)

Krug Vtoroj, 1990 (The Second Circle) - Acquarello (Strictly Film School, 2002)

Russian Ark - Pasquale Iannone (Senses of Cinema)

The Remaining Second World: Sokurov and Russian Ark - Benjamin Halligan (Senses of Cinema, 2003)

A Sight for Sore Eyes: Matthew Plouffe on Mother and Son - Matther Plouffe (Reverse Shot, 2004)

Father Russia - Julian Graffy (Sight and Sound, 2004)

Secrets of the Emperor's Bunker - J. G. Ballard (Guardian News and Media Ltd., 2005)

The Sun - Review by Peter Bradshaw (Guardian News and Media Ltd., 2005)

The Sun - Geoffrey Macnab (Sight and Sound, 2005)

Sokurov's Chechnia: Aleksandr Sokurov's Alexandra (2007) - Alexandra reviewed by Nancy Condee (Kino Kultura, 2007)

Elegy to the Chechen Republic - James Quandt (ArtForum, 2008)

Confession / Povinnost (Russia, Aleksandr Sokurov, 1998): A Homoerotic Film of Cult Potential Dina Iordanova (Dinaview, 2008)

The Island of Sokurov - Stephen M. Morris (RBTH, 2009)

A Loud Reading We Read the Book of the Blockade reviewed by - Polina Barskova (Kino Kultura, 2010)

Alexander Sokurov - The Russian auteur and his Faustian pact with Putin - Geoffrey Macnab (The Independant, 2011)

Faust and Furious - Alexandr Sokurov - Ian Christie (Sight and Sound, 2011)

Selected Publications

Russian Critics on the Cinema of Glasnost - Michael Brashinsky & Andrew Horton (Cambridge University Press, 1994)

Russia on Reels: The Russian Idea in Post Soviet Cinema KINO: The Russian Cinema Series edited by Birgit Beumers (I. B. Tauis & Co. Ltd., 1999)

Russian Cinema: Inside Film - David Gillespie (Longman, 2002)

Russia and its Other(s) on Film: Screening Intercultural Dialogue (Studies in Central and Eastern Europe) - Stephen Hutchings (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008)

Films and Dreams: Tarkovsky, Bergman, Sokurov, Kubrick, and Wong Kar-Wai - Thorston Botz-Bornstein (Lexington Books, 2008)

Realism and the Audiovisual Media - Lucia Nagib (ed.) & Cecília Mello (ed.) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)

Telling Stories: Countering Narrative in Art, Theory and Film - Jane Tormey (ed.) & Gillian Whiteley (ed.) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)

The Cinema of Alexander Sokurov - Birgit Beumers and Nancy Condee (I. B. Tauis & Co. Ltd., 2011)

Video Resources

Alexandr Sokurov on the Use of Time in his films (English Subs)

Masterclass extract (English Subs)
Last edited by bigP on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 35 times in total.

bigP

Re: Aleksandr Sokurov

#2 Post by bigP » Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 am

The Kinoeye archive for Sokurov (linked in the Internet Resources section above) is absolutely fantastic, and features an incredible amount of further reading as well as listings of articles and interviews with Sokurov in print. I can add them to this archive if need be.

I decided to avoid looking at the Kinoeye internet resources completely and tried to find my own websites, so apologies if there are any crossover links.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Aleksandr Sokurov

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 am