Don Hertzfeldt

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
zedz

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#51 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Only $215,000? I bet Hertzfeldt's right now regretting not including a pdf of a list of his favourite books among the rewards.

zedz

#53 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Supporters alert: the call has gone out to confirm your delivery address for swag, so if you haven't responded, check your junk mail folder or check in to your Kickstarter account.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#54 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:02 pm

colinr0380

#55 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:20 am

The latest Kickstarter message:
don hertzfeld wrote:hi folks,

just a quick dispatch from a deep dark cave of digital monitors.

almost all of the disc's content should be headed to the authoring house next week for an opening round of tests and tweaks. everything seems to be looking great so far.

two of the titles are delayed though and will be sent over later: something turned out to be a little screwy with the HD masters of REJECTED and THE MEANING OF LIFE and rather than send you something a little screwy, i had new 4K scans of those two done last week at the george eastman house in rochester (from the original 35mm negative and interpositive, respectively).

we only just got those 4K scans back the other day, so until we start working on them it's difficult to say whether this redo will delay anything.

in other news, if you live in the united states or canada and had signed up for a thank-you note and/or art print, you should be receiving those very soon if you haven't already.

i also hope to find the time soon to send out another round of surprises to unsuspecting backers.

and finally, if you still haven't filled out the survey to give us your address, we have thrown your items into the sea.

happy halloween!

don

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#56 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:40 am

Don Hertzfeldt wrote:hi folks,

i'll be seeing the first check-disc from the authoring lab this week. this means the heavy lifting is mostly done and it will be making notes and little technical adjustments from here until the whole thing is sent to the replication factory.

so, barring any further weird surprises, i'm guessing we'll be receiving the blus and start shipping them to everyone somewhere in february. i'm headed to tokyo for a prior commitment around the end of this month but i don't think that's going to affect our timing any. thanks for being patient.

it's nice to not have to stare at these films anymore and i've been slowly getting back into recording and rewriting a new thing. there will be a little taste of it on the disc.

happy new year and etc!

don

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Pressing news:
good news! WORLD OF TOMORROW has been nominated for an academy award!

bad news! due to a clerical error, the factory has not been working on blu rays for us all this time, but manta rays. these are quite different and i apologize. the shipping costs are now going to be astronomical and we will need to send all of you a detailed pamphlet of aquarium care instructions. it is my understanding that the manta rays do not play any digital content whatsoever, in fact if you shove one into your blu ray player they will merely leak water, flop around, and die.

i have just subscribed all of your e-mail addresses to a daily MANTA RAY FACTS newsletter where you will receive a seemingly endless series of learning updates about your new mucus-covered, cartilagey friends. again, sorry about this mix-up but it was an honest mistake.

colinr0380

#58 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:16 am

Don Hertzfeld wrote:in fact if you shove one into your blu ray player they will merely leak water, flop around, and die.
Now he tells us [-( None of these warnings were included in the first edition of the MANTA RAY FACTS newsletter, and I'm still trying to remove pieces of aquatic animal from my Blu-ray player.

I knew I should have ticked the "Man Ray" option on the rewards form, in order to instead have received a lifesize marble statue of the photographer.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#59 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Kickstarter update wrote:just wanted to let you know, i've just signed off on the final check disc + all the print proofs and our project is now officially underway down at the blu-ray factory with the little smokestacks. i think you're gonna like it.

everything will probably take 7-10 days to bake in the blu-ray ovens followed by another week or so on a truck to us in austin. i'll let you know once we have them in hand.

in the meantime, please, please, please double-check the mailing address you've given us one last time. we'll be locking them down soon and you won't be able to update them again. also remember that we cannot change your address for you. only you can do this by editing your responses in the online kickstarter survey thing that is fed to us.

kaboom!

bang!

OK cool everyone have a good weekend

D50

#60 Post by D50 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:18 am

Project Update #24 wrote:02-26-2016 Posted by don hertzfeldt (Creator)

hey everyone! just a quick note to let you know that the blu-rays are due to be delivered to us as soon as i get home next week from the oscars. which means we are gonna start shipping in about a week, which means NOW IS THE VERY LAST TIME TO EVER CORRECT OR CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS. only you can do this by editing your survey answers on kickstarter -- we cannot change your address for you. once we lock up the surveys next week you will never be able to change your address EVER AGAIN and we are going to start shipping the blu-rays WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT! :<> !! !

OK let's do this!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#61 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Don Hertzfeldt wrote:it's such a blutiful ray

D50

#62 Post by D50 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:28 am

update #26, Mar 4 2016
important shipping stuff

- please do not worry or ask us about the whereabouts of your rewards... at least not until the middle of april or something... especially if you do not live in the USA. it will take time to put together 4500 packages and international orders will take an additional week or two in transit. clogging our inbox with questions about whether your stuff has shipped yet will only slow us down. we are shipping everything in random order, starting with a large batch tomorrow, and you may be one of the very first people to get your stuff or you may be one of the very last.

- a number of you will receive a free gift in your package, in the form of older, out-of-print DVDs or other interesting things that are knocking around here that we don't want anymore. the versions of the films on the old DVDs are obviously outdated now and i don't recommend watching them actually, but they do contain loads of making-of materials and galleries and things that were never made available elsewhere over the years. i'm sorry if you don't want a random free item in your package, but the thing is, i have your address and i can mail you things and there is nothing you can do about it.

- finally, if you are in one of the tiers that is receiving the 35mm film strip, please do not forget to look for it in your package. they're contained in rather small envelopes that can easily slide to the bottom of your mailer so make sure you don't accidentally throw it out. we don't have very many of these and they may not be replaceable.

OK thanks again for your patience everyone and sorry for that winter delay! (you didn't really think we would finish this on time did you?) but hey it turned out pretty great, i think you'll like it.

D50

#63 Post by D50 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Project Update #27:

Newsnayr

#64 Post by Newsnayr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:50 pm

It seems some packages have already been received (not my picture). Image

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#65 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Got mine today - the exact same package as pictured above, actually, with the film strip and the extra DVD. First Kickstarter I've ever backed, and I'm really happy this one turned out so well.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#66 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Can you report as to the final contents of the disc?

StevenJ0001

#67 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:00 am

I just saw World of Tomorrow at the Academy a couple of weeks ago, and now I've belatedly found this thread. Am I out of luck in getting one of these or is there still some way to place an order?

Max von Mayerling

#68 Post by Max von Mayerling » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:06 am

This is probably still worth a shot:

http://bitterfilms.com/kickstarter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StevenJ0001

#69 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:20 am

Max von Mayerling wrote:This is probably still worth a shot:

http://bitterfilms.com/kickstarter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll give it a try, thank you!!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#70 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am

swo17 wrote:Can you report as to the final contents of the disc?
Sorry, didn't see this until this morning; I'll pop it in this evening, unless somebody else gets to it first...

sir_luke

#71 Post by sir_luke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 am

swo17 wrote:Can you report as to the final contents of the disc?
Got mine today. The contents are as follows:

It's Such a Beautiful Day and World of Tomorrow

The Short Films: The Meaning of Life, Rejected, Wisdom Teeth, and "Popular Animated TV Show Intro"

The Student Films: Billy's Balloon and Lily and Jim

Special Features: "Interview" and "Coming Soon"

The interview is about 12 minutes and was filmed at the Austrian Film Museum in May '15. "Coming Soon" is a brief teaser for Hertzfeldt's next film, which appears to be a continuation of World of Tomorrow.

Happily, I also got the extra DVD, I imagine a lot of people will be getting these. I haven't watched all of the films in full, but I've previewed most and I'm very pleased with how they looked. The extra time taken to restore the older films was definitely worth it. I'm no expert on...well, anything really, but the image quality is really as good as it can get. I'm so thrilled to own all these films and to know that I've been able to support this great artist and all-around Cool Guy in my own meager way.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#72 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks! I assume that TV show is "The Simpsons"? So that would mean that his only work missing from this set are his first two student films and the Animation Show segments.

sir_luke

#73 Post by sir_luke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 am

swo17 wrote:Thanks! I assume that TV show is "The Simpsons"? So that would mean that his only work missing from this set are his first two student films and the Animation Show segments.
Sorry, yes, it's the couch gag.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#74 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:56 pm

So I got my copy today and...it might have spent too long in the Blu-ray ovens. It's difficult to navigate anywhere on the menu screen, and then when I do get somewhere it doesn't play what it says it's going to. I wouldn't rule out this all being part of an elaborate joke, but something tells me these tiny bubbles on the bottom of the disc are more to blame. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Kirkinson

#75 Post by Kirkinson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Got mine today too and everything seems to be working fine. I don't have any bubbles on my disc though, that sounds rather unusual.