Don Hertzfeldt

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Floyd

Don Hertzfeldt

#1 Post by Floyd » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Don Hertzfeldt (1976 - )

An animated film is not just a random series of mindless, self-indulging, violent cartoon images meant only to be enjoyed by young children.

Filmography

Ah, l'amour (1995) Bitter Films Vol. 1 DVD

Genre (1996) Bitter Films Vol. 1 DVD

Lily and Jim (1997) Bitter Films Vol. 1 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

Billy's Balloon (1998) Bitter Films Vol. 1 DVD / Animation Show Vol. 1 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

Rejected (2000) Bitter Films Vol. 1/standalone DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

The Animation Show [segments "Welcome to the Show"/"Intermission in the Third Dimension"/"The End of the Show"] (2003) Animation Show Vol. 1 DVD

The Meaning of Life (2005) Bitter Films Vol. 1 DVD / Animation Show Vol. 2 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

Bill Films
Everything Will Be Ok (2006) [Bill Film #1] Bitter Films Vol. 2/standalone DVD / Animation Show Vol. 3 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD
I Am So Proud of You (2008) [Bill Film #2] Bitter Films Vol. 2/standalone DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD
It's Such a Beautiful Day (2011) [Bill Film #3] Bitter Films Vol. 2 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD
It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) [compilation] Bitter Films Vol. 2 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

Wisdom Teeth (2010) Bitter Films Vol. 2 DVD / It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

Couch gag from "Clown in the Dumps" episode of The Simpsons (2014) It's Such a Beautiful Day BD

World of Tomorrow Series
World of Tomorrow (2015) It's Such a Beautiful Day BD / World of Tomorrow BD
Episode Two: The Burden of Other People's Thoughts (2017) World of Tomorrow BD
Episode Three: The Absent Destinations of David Prime (2020) World of Tomorrow BD

Intro (2017) World of Tomorrow BD

On Memory (2021) World of Tomorrow BD

Other Works

The End of the World (2013 graphic novel)

planetjake

#2 Post by planetjake » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Floyd wrote:The immensely talented Don Hertzfeldt with his company Bitter Films sells it all here.
My spoon is too big... My spoon... is too big...

I can't believe I've never visited that site!!! Hertzfeldt is a God!

Red Screamer

Re: Comic Books

#3 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Has anyone read Don Hertzfeldt's The End of the World? Apparently it was entirely written and drawn on Post-it notes. Sounds promising.

Adam X

Re: Comic Books

#4 Post by Adam X » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Superswede11 wrote:Has anyone read Don Hertzfeldt's The End of the World? Apparently it was entirely written and drawn on Post-it notes. Sounds promising.
I own it, but haven't read anything further than the online preview yet (on the publisher's website I think). I'll be happy to let you know what I think once I get around to changing that.
I get the impression that if you like his early films, you'll like the book. What I've seen so far is pretty funny.

Calvin

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#5 Post by Calvin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Don Hertzfeldt's response to a question on Reddit AMA asking if there's any chance of It's Such a Beautiful Day coming via Criterion: "tell them you want it. i'll throw world of tomorrow on the blu ray too :)"

sir_luke

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#6 Post by sir_luke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:54 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:37 pm

sir_luke wrote:Don Hertzfeldt has started a Kickstarter to campaign to bring It's Such a Beautiful Day and World of Tomorrow to Blu-Ray. There are some wonderful (and surprisingly affordable) rewards for backers.
Well that one's a no-brainer, and it looks like it will have no problem meeting its goal, which is where this kicks in:
there's lots of shorts in the back catalog that have not been released in HD, so if we exceed expectations we'll be able to take the time to polish some up and get them on the disc too, as stretch goals: THE MEANING OF LIFE? REJECTED? BILLY'S BALLOON? RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK?

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:02 pm

sir_luke wrote:Don Hertzfeldt has started a Kickstarter to campaign to bring It's Such a Beautiful Day and World of Tomorrow to Blu-Ray. There are some wonderful (and surprisingly affordable) rewards for backers.
Looks like a worthy and generous campaign. Even if you're not going to fund it, do yourself a favour and read through to the bottom of the pitch for the hilarious FAQs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Don Hertzfeldt wrote:thanks everyone! after only a few hours we're already approaching our goal, and finally i will be able to REPLACE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS WITH TALKING CG ANIMALS AS ORIGINALLY INTENDED!!!!

How can you not want to throw money at this guy?

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Does this mean if we fund him more we'll get sassy CG sharks voiced by famous celebrities such as Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese? :D

bdsweeney

#11 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Wow ... that Kickstarter is an utter certainty. It'll reach its goal by the end of the day. Can't wait to see the films. (I've heard such great things about them.)
Thank you to the board for bringing it to my attention.

knives

#12 Post by knives » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Haven't bought a DVD in forever, but I've got to support this if just for how many times I've viewed his stuff on youtube.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Funded in 6 hours. From now on, the money goes into extra films.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:32 am

Contributed just now.

Thornycroft

#15 Post by Thornycroft » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 am

In an ideal world this would earn far enough above the target to facilitate the scanning and inclusion of all Hertzfeldt's previous shorts, but since It's Such A Beautiful Day is one of my favourite films I'll be happy enough just having a Blu-Ray copy of that.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#16 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Already met first stretch goal of $50K.
UPDATED! STRETCH GOAL TIERS:

$50K ~ "THE MEANING OF LIFE" WILL NOW BE REMASTERED AND ADDED TO THE BLU-RAY ✨

$75K ~ THE NEXT MYSTERY BONUS SHORT FILM WILL BE ADDED TO THE DISC

knives

#17 Post by knives » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Also for those curious this makes the runtime about 90 minutes meaning this is a better offer then, say, your average Olive film especially with the optional subs.

Yakushima

#18 Post by Yakushima » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 pm

The addition of "The Meaning of Life" sold me on this! Pledged.

Murdoch

#19 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:59 am

Pledged as well, cannot wait to see It's Such a Beautiful Day on blu, a film which skyrocketed into my favorite films since watching it on Netflix the other day. Rarely have I been so overwhelmed with emotion while watching a film. Also looking forward to a copy of End of the World signed by the man himself :D

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Herztfeldt on Blu-ray Kickstarter wrote:we've just hit our 2nd stretch goal and i'm happy to announce we can now include the little-seen 1985 danish film PRIDE OF THE MANATEES on the disc!

having nothing at all to do with manatees, this ponderous, four-hour character study from first-time director niels henriksson follows an inner-city gang of teens suffering from giant balloon heads, who, against all odds, join a dance company and prove that their heads are not merely full of painful cerebrospinal fluid, but dreams...

shot not in black-and-white, but in agonizing white-on-white, the teens eat many buttered fish and gaze longingly out large windows as they chew. when not having dance fights with other dance gangs, the teens shop for large hats and.... wait... wait, OK i am now being told we do not have the rights to PRIDE OF THE MANATEES :(

sorry everyone. OK. well. fine. i guess we'll just put REJECTED on the disc instead.

OK let's set our next stretch goal + mystery film addition at $100k

EddieLarkin

#21 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:26 pm

This is fantastic. Odds on his whole back catalog making it onto the disc? Adding up the run times it would only be around 3 hours and so wouldn't require additional discs or anything.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:28 pm

If he is really going to require $25K for each new bonus film, then I guess the project would need to raise $225K to make this a complete works of Don Herztfeldt set. The remaining films only clock in at 40 minutes in total though (compared to 100 minutes for the ones promised so far), so maybe he won't ask quite that much.

knives

#23 Post by knives » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Likely the next film is Billy's Balloon and after that I could see him lumping together or splitting into two the other four films given their lack of relative fame, name dropping in the initial post, and as you mentioned runtime.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#24 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Don Hertzfeldt wrote:bad news everyone, i've just learned that kickstarter displays all pledges in vietnamese currency :( which means so far we've actually only raised approximately US $4.67 :( oh man we have so far to go. i had no idea kickstarter was based in southeast asia :(

but i will honor the stretch goals anyway, which means # 3 has just been unlocked and another thing is being added to the blu-ray! but this time i can't actually publicly announce what it is! sorry this one has to remain a surprise, you'll just have to trust me! here is another sentence that ends in an exclamation point!

the 4th mystery item to be added to the disc will be unlocked (and next time revealed, i promise) at $125k ~ thanks everyone and let's continue to get the word out

Luke M

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#25 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 am

I pledged $24 for the blu-ray. Hoping this clears $125k soon.