Takeshi Kitano

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
zedz

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#76 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 pm

In actual Takeshi Kitano sequel news, I'll be seeing Outrage Beyond tonight!

Forrest Taft

#77 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )

manicsounds

#78 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm

RobertAltman wrote:Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )
To answer an old question first, the specs and coverart list English subtitles.

I watched Kitano's latest film Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen, which I found to be laugh out loud hilarious, probably Kitano's funniest movie, although it may be his most conventional in terms of comedy. There are lots of fart jokes and dick jokes sprinkled throughout and with the main cast having a median age of 75 or so, a lot of geriatric humor as well.

The IMDB score is on the extreme low side, but audiences in Japan have been more pleasing, and critics too.
Mark Schilling of Japan Times gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Was also quite surprised that the audience I saw it with was extremely diverse. Young teens were laughing their heads off, and elderly people were as well. Definitely recommended.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#79 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 am

Where did you see the new Kitano? I suppose this won't get picked up for US distribution....

manicsounds

#80 Post by manicsounds » Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Where did you see the new Kitano? I suppose this won't get picked up for US distribution....
The movie theater about 5 minutes from my place.

Forrest Taft

#81 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat May 16, 2015 9:51 am

manicsounds wrote:
RobertAltman wrote:Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )
To answer an old question first, the specs and coverart list English subtitles.

I watched Kitano's latest film Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen, which I found to be laugh out loud hilarious, probably Kitano's funniest movie, although it may be his most conventional in terms of comedy. There are lots of fart jokes and dick jokes sprinkled throughout and with the main cast having a median age of 75 or so, a lot of geriatric humor as well.

The IMDB score is on the extreme low side, but audiences in Japan have been more pleasing, and critics too.
Mark Schilling of Japan Times gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Was also quite surprised that the audience I saw it with was extremely diverse. Young teens were laughing their heads off, and elderly people were as well. Definitely recommended.
I'll probably pick it up at one point to satisfy my curiosity then. Hadn't heard about Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen before I read your post, but now I'm very much looking forward to it.

Forrest Taft

#82 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Trailer for Outrage Coda.

yoshimori

#83 Post by yoshimori » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:43 pm

For those who simply must spend more on Kitano BRs than Third Window is willing to charge, CDJapan is listing 9/27/17 release dates for 13 English-subbed Kitano films: Violent Cop, Boiling Point, Scene at the Sea, Sonatine, Getting Any?, Hana-bi, Kikujiro, Brother, Dolls, Zatoichi, Takeshis', Kantoku banzai!, and Achilles and the Tortoise.

Most relevant here is Sonatine, which Third Window hasn't put out (yet).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#84 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I count a lot more than just one of those that Third Window hasn't released yet.

cowboydan

#85 Post by cowboydan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm

A biopic about Kitano's life during his early comedy career is in the works at Netflix. Yuya Yagira of "Nobody Knows" fame will be portraying Kitano.
https://asianmoviepulse.com/2020/11/tak ... t-netflix/

whaleallright

#86 Post by whaleallright » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm

I feel like I'd read about this being in the works years ago. Netflix has a big enough footprint in Japan that they are financing original content primarily for that market?

cowboydan

#87 Post by cowboydan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:39 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm
I feel like I'd read about this being in the works years ago. Netflix has a big enough footprint in Japan that they are financing original content primarily for that market?
You prrobably did. The writer said he'd been working onthe sreenplay for several years but now it's done and production is moving forward.

Yes. They're producing original content for lots of different countries and their diaspora, including Japan, Korea, India, and Mexico. Netflix has produced several seasons of Terrace House (a popular Japanese reality TV show).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor ... rogramming

whaleallright

#88 Post by whaleallright » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 am

I think I was confusing that film with this Asakusa Kid, former critic Makoto Shinozaki's feature film based on Kitano's memoir of his childhood.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#89 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Did you ever get to see the Shinozaki film (I never did). :-(

whaleallright

#90 Post by whaleallright » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:37 am

No, I haven't! I didn't read terribly good things about it, and sort of forgot about it (evidently!).

Matt

Takeshi Kitano

#91 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13 pm

Takeshi Kitano appears in ad campaign for Loewe (Spanish luxury brand owned by LVMH). Another recent campaign featured Anthony Hopkins

Jigvell

#92 Post by Jigvell » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:07 pm

I remembered that last year I read some article about Kitano's final film called Neck/Kubi. After browsing through the internet I discovered that the film is 90% complete and it's stuck in editing. Apparently there is a problem with the contract by production company KADOKAWA. Kitano didn't like it as he felt it was too much one-sided (as some othet staff members), so he didn't sign it and shot the film without it. But he's having meetings about it and wants to continue...

Also it's not his last film. He appereantly works on film for Netflix called Octopus Game which is supposed to be a parody of Squid Game :D

Forrest Taft

#93 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Thanks for the update on his "final" film, I didn't even know it had started shooting. The Netflix-film also sounds interesting, though now I'm wondering if I'll have to check out Squid Game after all. And this reminds me I still haven't seen Asakusa Kid, also on Netflix. And there is an upcoming French documentary on Kitano, called Citizen K. Suddenly there is more Kitano to look forward to than what I thought was going to be his last film.

colinr0380

#94 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm

As much as I am happy that Kitano is making another film, I'm just not sure that any parody of Squid Game can compete with the disturbingly buttock-heavy Kotte Animation shorts.

(Disclaimer: I have not seen Squid Game and am happy for these shorts to be my entire contextless perspective on the show)

Jigvell

#95 Post by Jigvell » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:25 am

I have not seen Squid Game either. But I think that Kitano's film will be a mix of/parody of different things like Getting Any?

Jigvell

#96 Post by Jigvell » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:22 am

Kitano's KUBI will be having a premiere next month at the Cannes. It's a samurai film (based on his own novel) and the plot is revolving about
SpoilerShow
The cast includes Kitano himself and to name a few recognizable names: Asano Tadanobu, Endo Kenichi, Kase Ryo, Nishijima Hidetoshi, Terajima Susumu and Omori Nao.