Jacques Rivette

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
nolanoe

Re: Jacques Rivette

#1176 Post by nolanoe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:52 am

MichaelB wrote:
nolanoe wrote:Divertimento was just a "short version", no?
No. It was sourced from the same shoot, but often uses different takes and offers a substantially different perspective on the material.
Ah, very interesting. Would you say it's worth the time, or is it merely "an alternative" to the long cut?

MichaelB

#1177 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 am

Yes, absolutely - it's designed to be a companion-piece, and its major point of interest is that it's depicted much more from the perspective of the artist's wife (Jane Birkin) and model (Emmanuelle Béart), whereas La Belle Noiseuse itself focused far more on his viewpoint (unsurprisingly, given the core subject).

dda1996a

#1178 Post by dda1996a » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Any info on the release of the recently found Rivette shorts?
And where can one see Divertimento?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1179 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 am

There was an Asian DVD release (with subs) of Divertimento long long ago, not sure if this is still in print. I found Divertimento interesting -- but thought Belle noiseuse actually FELT shorter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1180 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

It was on the third disc of the (OOP) Artificial Eye DVD release

antnield

#1181 Post by antnield » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 am

Also on Artificial Eye's Emmanuelle Béart DVD set - which may be OOP too.

dda1996a

#1182 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 am

dda1996a wrote:Any info on the release of the recently found Rivette shorts?
And where can one see Divertimento?
Any new info regarding the shorts?

Petty Bourgeoisie

#1183 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 am

Not that I know of, but the restoration of Le Religieuse will premier at Cannes next month. So there is that bit of good news!

dda1996a

#1184 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 am

It will be really good news when the shorts and Le Religieuse are all released on blu-ray

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#1185 Post by nick » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Details for the Cohen La Belle Noiseuse bluray
Special Features and Technical Specs:
-BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
-Two-disc Blu-ray set featuring the complete original four-hour version of La Belle Noiseuse
-Video interview with director Jacques Rivette
-Video interview with co-writers Pascal Bonitzer and Christine Laurent
-Audio commentary track by film historian Richard Suchenski
-4K Restoration 2017 theatrical re-release original trailer
-Optional English subtitles for the main feature
So it doesn't look like they will be including 'Divertimento' on this release.

furbicide

#1186 Post by furbicide » Sat May 05, 2018 10:03 am

I missed the Artificial Eye 3-disc set when it was still generally available and not priced through the roof, and tried to purchase the Béart box set a while back, but my order ended up being cancelled after months of waiting. I’d thought it might be getting a re-release soon, so, now this is apparently not the case, I’ve just given up and bought a videotape of Divertimento on Ebay for 20 bucks – better than nothing, hey? :P
Last edited by furbicide on Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearcuborg

#1187 Post by bearcuborg » Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 am

furbicide wrote:I missed the Artificial Eye 3-disc set when it was still generally available and not priced through the roof, and tried to purchase the Béart box set a while back, but my order ended up being cancelled after months of waiting. I’d thought it might be getting a re-release soon, so, now this is apparently not the case, I’ve just given up and bought a videotape of Divertimento on Ebay for 20 bucks – better than nothing, hey? :P
Rivette, and Von Stroheim are the main reason I haven’t completely ditched my VHS machine. That, and a ton of MTV from the 90s tapes.

JSC

#1188 Post by JSC » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 pm

La Religieuse coming to blu-ray in September courtesy of Studio Canal.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-Religi ... ay/206579/

furbicide

#1189 Post by furbicide » Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am

Can’t wait! Astounding to think it’s taken this long to get an English-friendly release in any form.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1190 Post by soundchaser » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Ahead of StudioCanal's release of The Nun, I just wanted to ask if anyone's heard anything about the Cohen or L'amour fou restoration timelines. I'm slowly working my way through Rivette's oeuvre, and I'd rather see things nicely cleaned-up if possible. (I watched Va Savoir in a non-anamorphic stream from Amazon last night and thought the generally murky picture hindered any enjoyment I could have gotten out of the film, which I found unusually drab for Rivette.)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1191 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Va savoir -- when screened (or otherwise looks good) is a lot of fun. Too bad the Amazon stream is cruddy....

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1192 Post by soundchaser » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm
Va savoir -- when screened (or otherwise looks good) is a lot of fun. Too bad the Amazon stream is cruddy....
I was doubly disappointed because I picked the stream with the knowledge that the DVD was non-anamorphic. It could very well have been a straight rip of that disc. The film didn't do a lot for me, I hate to say, although I enjoyed it more than Merry Go-Round. It felt very...weightless? And Balibar's performance did nothing for me - she seemed totally disconnected from the material. I should mention that I'd just come off of Haut, Bas, Fragile, which quickly catapulted itself to my list of all-time greats. I'm sure that didn't help. :wink:

Gregory

#1193 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 pm

The R1 Sony DVD is anamorphic.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1194 Post by soundchaser » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Well, egg on my face, then. I must have been conflating it with the Image DVDs.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1195 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:22 pm

I liked the whole main ensemble and their interactions with each other -- and loved the high wire climax. ;-)

It may have taken a little while initially to tune into Balibar's "grumpiness" (or whatever one might want to call it). Luckily, our initial exposure was to screening during its short theatrical run....

Petty Bourgeoisie

#1196 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:56 am

I need to rewatch my Sony DVD of Va Savoir. It's been about 3 years since my initial viewing and I was hoping for Va Savoir+ to appear, but it doesn't look likely.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#1197 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:00 am

soundchaser wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 pm
Ahead of StudioCanal's release of The Nun, I just wanted to ask if anyone's heard anything about the Cohen or L'amour fou restoration timelines.
I would like to hear some info as well. I'm patiently awaiting DVD Beaver to get a copy of Canal's new release. It will be interesting to see if the colors are correct in comparison to the teal disaster that was the trailer.

dda1996a

#1198 Post by dda1996a » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 am

What truly interests me is what's the plan with the newfound shorts

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1199 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Watched La Religieuse and while I'm not familiar with the source text, I was disappointed that it manages to shoehorn in both of the most tired ways to depict a nunnery in fiction: either as an oppressive hellhole, or a den of lascivious lesbianism. I was also dismayed at how amateurishly choppy and poorly matched the editing was, made all the more glaring since, in contrast to most of Rivette's other work, this is fairly straight forward narrative filmmaking. The movie does show that the leftist critics were right to back Rivette over his other cronies, as I can't imagine a film like this coming from anyone else at Cahiers. I haven't read the Cahiers defenses, but I can't even imagine the hoops one would have to jump through to pretend this isn't the anti-clerical film to end all anti-clerical films!

Since La Religieuse is about to be available to a wider audience due to Studio Canal's English-friendly UK Blu-ray, allow me to advocate for a superior (by every metric) French film that was released just six years prior to Rivette's, one exploring novel notions of what it might mean to be a nun and one still languishing in obscurity, even though it arguably has superior star power in Jeanne Moreau and Alida Valli: Raymond Léopold Bruckberger's Le dialogue des Carmélites. Bruckberger's depiction of the turmoil of a cloister of nuns in the midst of the French Revolution gives us actual moral dilemmas that aren't completely knowable going in, and the film ends with one of the most successfully relayed ironies ever put to film. It puts a familiar and safe (!) movie like Rivette's to shame

EDIT: And Rivette bulleted it in the Conseil! Of course he did

Petty Bourgeoisie

#1200 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:26 am

Was it the new Studio Canal edition that you watched?

Since La Religiuse is Rivette's most straight forward film, I wonder what his thoughts were in retrospect. Did he consider it a misstep or a success?