Jacques Rivette

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Scott Nye

Re: Jacques Rivette

#1076 Post by Scott Nye » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 pm

I loved Out 1 by the end, but my experience with Rivette so far involves a lot of pushing through the confusion and, quite often, boredom. Essentially, I don't understand why I'm seeing the majority of what I'm seeing as I'm seeing it. Yet somehow, every time I reach the conclusion, the film suddenly makes a considerable degree of sense, cohering around an idea or a way of considering everything that had come before it. As this is a considerable investment in even the average Rivette film, I can certainly understand why Out 1 in particular would just be too much. Though its episodic structure made it easier to reach each successive hurdle, I'm very glad I didn't do one of those two-day marathon screenings. I definitely wouldn't advise it as a starting place with the filmmaker, but if you've had rewarding experiences with him already, it's well worth pushing on.

I will say that while it does get MORE conventional as it goes, that also makes it doubly frustrating when they do go back to another tedious theatre exercise (though I gather I liked those sections more than most, there were certainly some that I could barely stand). Don't they know there's only an hour left in this thing?!

therewillbeblus

#1077 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 pm

I don't know if this has been stated on a different topic thread, but I was just browsing Netflix and noticed that Out 1 is up in its entirety in the form of the 8 episodes separately (it's labelled as TV show, "1 season"). There goes my weekend.

oh yeah

#1078 Post by oh yeah » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Wow. Out 1 streaming in pristine quality on Netflix, and A Brighter Summer Day on Criterion Blu sitting on my shelf. It's like I'm living in some kind of exotic cinephile future that would have seemed impossible a decade ago.

rockysds

#1079 Post by rockysds » Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

Last edited by rockysds on Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#1080 Post by knives » Tue May 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Exciting news. I had thought they were lost forever. I wonder how/ if they will be made ready for public consumption outside of theatrical screenings?

nolanoe

#1081 Post by nolanoe » Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 am

Curious about these three shorts.

Now let's have somebody get on the case of restoring his 80s films!!

subliminac

Jacques Rivette

#1082 Post by subliminac » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:36 am

Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?
Last edited by subliminac on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1083 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:44 am

Holy smokes, great news!

Sloper

#1084 Post by Sloper » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 am

Yes, it's one of his best films - can't wait...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1085 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am

It is certainly his most harrowing....

Oedipax

#1086 Post by Oedipax » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:09 am

Tremendous news!

bearcuborg

#1087 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 am

Finally, my favorite Rivette. I'll have very few bootlegs left after this gets the deluxe treatment.

knives

#1088 Post by knives » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Be still my heart. Now if only it comes with The Nun or those recently discovered shorts and we will be stupid fortunate.

zedz

#1089 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm

I think it's only this film, The Nun and Haut bas fragile that we're missing in English-friendly editions (or at all). That would make for a weird box set, but I wouldn't complain!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1090 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Aren't a bunch of those old Rivette DVD releases long out of print?

Tommaso

#1091 Post by Tommaso » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Subtitles for "La religieuse" and "Haut bas fragile" can easily be found on the web via openly available subtitle sites like opensubtitles.org or subscene.com . Not too much of a problem to play them with the French editions of these films if you use VLC or a similar program; a bit more technical savvy is needed to make a customized dvd to add these subs if you want to use a standalone player.

But "L'amour fou" is on a totally different level, as there's simply no official release with or without subtitles available anywhere (and even the best backchannels version is a pretty bad VHS copy). So if this really finally comes out, I'll be overjoyed. After that, we'll only need a proper release of "Jeanne la Pucelle" to replace that awful AE edition, which curiously still is the only version of the complete, uncut film(s). "Jeanne" isn't even available in France, which seriously surprises me.

zedz

#1092 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Aren't a bunch of those old Rivette DVD releases long out of print?
Which ones are you thinking of? All the BFI, Artificial Eye and Bluebell titles I can think of still seem to be available from Amazon.uk except for La Belle Noiseuse, though Divertimento is still available in an Emmanuelle Beart box set.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1093 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 pm

I was thinking of the US DVDs of Secret defense, Bande a quatre and Hurlevent

furbicide

#1094 Post by furbicide » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am

subliminac wrote:Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?
Great news! Can't wait.

Tommaso, I do have an acceptable copy of L'Amour Fou with perfectly readable English subs – if you want to shoot me a PM, I'll dropbox it to you (as a foretaste to the, I'd imagine, infinitely better DVD release!).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1095 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am

subliminac wrote:Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?
Stéphane Tchalgadjieff didn't produce L'Amour fou tho. Or maybe they talked to the rights holder while working on the other Rivettes?

nolanoe

#1096 Post by nolanoe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm

L'Amour Fou and L'amour par Terre were two of his big ones I missed out on, so hooray!!

Still crossing my fingers that a "vol 2" is in the making, including La Bande des Quatre!!

zedz

#1097 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:37 pm

nolanoe wrote:L'Amour Fou and L'amour par Terre were two of his big ones I missed out on, so hooray!!

Still crossing my fingers that a "vol 2" is in the making, including La Bande des Quatre!!
As noted above, La Bande des Quatre (and L'Amour par Terre) are currently in print from another UK label, so they almost certainly won't be available for Arrow. As far as I'm aware, only the three films I noted above haven't been released on UK DVD, and almost everything seems to still be in print, so Arrow's pickings are slim.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1098 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am

subliminac wrote:Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was.
Jonathan Rosenbaum was also interviewed for the podcast and said it's taken New Yorker so long to release Celine and Julie on DVD because Dan Talbot doesn't even like the film. They never wanted to release it at all theatrically but the rights were too cheap to pass up.

feihong

#1099 Post by feihong » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Jonathan Rosenbaum was also interviewed for the podcast and said it's taken New Yorker so long to release Celine and Julie on DVD because Dan Talbot doesn't even like the film. They never wanted to release it at all theatrically but the rights were too cheap to pass up.

That is just appalling. Hearing that just makes me livid with anger. So New Yorker holds on to the film, for some of us a potential desert–island film, so to speak, and keeping everyone who does love it from having the chance to do right by it because...why? They got a deal they couldn't resist? A deal they never planned to capitalize on? It's maddening.

feihong

#1100 Post by feihong » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 am

I listened through the whole Projection Booth episode, which was very nicely done. The interview with Rosenbaum was the highlight for me, though I always like their discussions in the early part of the show, and I liked this one very much.

I do feel as though, really just because none of them had seen the film in a very long time, that all three hosts/guests downplayed the connection between Desperately Seeking Susan and Celine & Julie. I believe in her commentary on the film, Seidelman even mentions Celine & Julie as a large influence. Mike mentions the magic shows as a connection, which I can see for sure, but there are also whole sections where Roberta shadows Susan through the city streets. Susan carries a magic box full of treasures, and she has a jacket that is emblazoned with tarot–like imagery. And there's a sense in Desperately Seeking Susan of the leading ladies pursuing a kind of imaginary play space in a city whose realities have a sense of danger about them as well. I remember watching Desperately Seeking Susan and thinking that, if you were going to do a Hollywood remake of the Celine & Julie, this is exactly how it would have to come across, with a sense of mayhem and fussy plot contortions to create the motivations that come from deeper, less forced places in the Rivette film.