Steven Soderbergh

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Galen Young

Re: And Everything Is Going Fine

#51 Post by Galen Young » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Finally got to see And Everything Is Going Fine last night and thought it was fantastic. Have been a fan of Gray since Swimming to Cambodia, having read all his books and watched everything I could get my hands on -- Soderbergh's film was still like discovering buried treasure, everything I'd seen was only the tip of the iceberg. The home movie reel over the end credits with music by Gray's son -- that final image of him and his mother just knocked me right out. Here's a couple of nice interviews with Kathleen Russo and Forrest Gray.

Zumpano

Re: Soderbergh B-sides

#52 Post by Zumpano » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 am

Cheating on Jules Asner is his worst experimental foray yet

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#54 Post by Anhedionisiac » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

In Mexico instead of saying "Oops", we say "Uy". Uy

willoneill

#55 Post by willoneill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 pm

We're not actually referring to this illegitimate lovechild as a "b-side", are we?

Zumpano

#56 Post by Zumpano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm

More stupid retirement talk. Just two more flicks... :(
I thought his deal with Mark Cuban was for like 6 or so more "Bubble"-type films...

Oedipax

#57 Post by Oedipax » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Zumpano wrote:More stupid retirement talk. Just two more flicks... :(
I thought his deal with Mark Cuban was for like 6 or so more "Bubble"-type films...
I've been wondering what the hell happened to this deal for years; I guess The Girlfriend Experience qualifies (at least, it was associated with HDNet), but other than that...? It was such a cool idea, too.

willoneill

#58 Post by willoneill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I think Bubble was part of that HDNet deal as well.

Aside from those two films he's yet to make, doesn't Soderbergh have 3 other films that are done or almost done that haven't come out yet?

Zumpano

#59 Post by Zumpano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

My count is four between: Haywire, Contagion, The Spalding Gray doc/piece, and the Tot-Mom-play-cast film (which quite possibly could qualify as one of those HDNET films?).

The dude has spoiled us if we're complaining that we only get to see SIX more films before he retires. But, here I am, spoiled as 2 week old milk.

willoneill

#60 Post by willoneill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I have no idea how serious Soderbergh is about this retirement, but I guess I just don't believe it's permanent. I think it'll turn out to be just a long break. Same thing with Kevin Smith. I find entertainers are kind of like professional wrestlers that way. I'm pretty sure, among other people, Anthony Hopkins has announced his retirement a couple of times.
Last edited by willoneill on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#61 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 pm

My fingers are crossed that this retirement is a chance to recharge, and may even produce another Schizopolis (and, no, I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say that! :) )

willoneill

#62 Post by willoneill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm hopeful of that too (even another Schizopolis .. I liked it). But I'm an eternal film optimist. Hell, I still think I'll see another Cimino flick someday. (Maybe even a decent one).

As evidence, I present you Francis Ford Coppola (though I'm not sure he ever sau he was retired, he didn't put out a film for a whole decade).

Zumpano

#63 Post by Zumpano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm just disappointed that the GBV/Cleopatra project looks like a "I-don't-need-to-do-that-before-I-retire/recharge/paint" picture.

colinr0380

#64 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:33 am

Well, the Man From U.N.C.L.E. isn't just going to remake itself you know! Priorities people! :P

Murdoch

#65 Post by Murdoch » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Even Soderbergh saw Tiny Furniture (his personal diary of what he's watched and read)

Jeff

#66 Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Zumpano

#67 Post by Zumpano » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank God. Sounds interesting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 am

This is just Soderbergh-palooza: Soderbergh's been making a documentary about the 1970 counterculture film End of the Road, which is itself forthcoming on Blu-ray (!) from Warners in October-- The linked article's wording is a little fuzzy about whether Soderbergh's film is actually an extra on that release, but it seems logical

Hopscotch

#69 Post by Hopscotch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 am

From the article:
his completed making-of doc will be on the extras.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:55 am

They helpfully reworded their article, it most definitely did not say that when I posted the link

med

#71 Post by med » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

That's good news about End of the Road. I've long been a fan of the novel and had resigned myself to never being able to see the film version.

Ishmael

#72 Post by Ishmael » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 am

med wrote:That's good news about End of the Road. I've long been a fan of the novel and had resigned myself to never being able to see the film version.
I'm also a fan of the novel (one of Barth's best, I think), but, if I'm remembering correctly, the film version doesn't resemble the novel very much. In fact, the film famously has a scene with a man screwing a chicken (or is he just trying to screw it?), which should give you an idea how different the film and novel versions are. Barth hated the film, and reviewers pretty much unanimously called it a godawful piece of shit (generally in kinder language). One reviewer said (and I have to paraphrase here because I can't find the quote):
SpoilerShow
The novel ends with a harrowing abortion, whereas the film is an abortion from start to finish.
Personally, I found the film to be a godawful piece of shit whether you compare it to the novel or not, although I don't remember many specifics as I saw it 20 year ago. I'm sure the film will find some fans, but I just wanted to caution everybody not to get their hopes up.

Jeff

#73 Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 pm

It must be amazing to have so much energy! For what it's worth, I've been told by a lot of people that these books are actually good or at least better than you'd think

GaryC

#75 Post by GaryC » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Ishmael wrote:
med wrote:That's good news about End of the Road. I've long been a fan of the novel and had resigned myself to never being able to see the film version.
I'm also a fan of the novel (one of Barth's best, I think), but, if I'm remembering correctly, the film version doesn't resemble the novel very much. In fact, the film famously has a scene with a man screwing a chicken (or is he just trying to screw it?), which should give you an idea how different the film and novel versions are. Barth hated the film, and reviewers pretty much unanimously called it a godawful piece of shit (generally in kinder language). One reviewer said (and I have to paraphrase here because I can't find the quote):
SpoilerShow
The novel ends with a harrowing abortion, whereas the film is an abortion from start to finish.
Personally, I found the film to be a godawful piece of shit whether you compare it to the novel or not, although I don't remember many specifics as I saw it 20 year ago. I'm sure the film will find some fans, but I just wanted to caution everybody not to get their hopes up.
More favourable reviews here and here, the latter by me. I bought this on VHS from Amazon.com over a decade ago (it took me six months and two attempts to get hold of it). There was a "DVD" from Allied Artists Classics which looked very much like the video master burned onto a DVD-R.

The film was Gordon Willis's debut as DP and you can see a clip of it on one of David Bowie's TV sets in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I did read the novel and actually the film is fairly faithful to it (that chicken scene aside, which replaces sequences of Dr D's patients homosexually propositioning Jacob).

I'm surprised, and pleased, that this is getting a Blu-ray release, as I had heard rumours that the negative had been lost. Interesting that Soderbergh is making this documentary, as one past unrealised project of his was a film of Barth's novel The Sot-Weed Factor.