Kim Ki-duk

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Scharphedin2

Kim Ki-duk

#1 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:19 am

Kim Ki-duk (1960 - )

Filmography

Ag-o / Crocodile (1996) Alive (R2 DE)

Yasaeng dongmul bohoguyeog / Wild Animals (1997)

Paran daemun / The Birdcage Inn (1998) Bitwin (R3 South Korea) / Winson Entertainment (R3 HK)

Seom / The Isle (2000) First Run Features (R1) / Tartan (R2 UK) / Studio Kanal (R2 FR) / Paramount (R2 ES) / Atlantic Film (R2 SE) / CJ Entertainment (R3 South Korea) / Universe (R3 HK)

Shilje sanghwang / Real Fiction (2000) Tai Seng (R1) / Prism Leisure (R2 UK) / Saerom Entertainment (R3 South Korea)

Suchwiin bulmyeong / Address Unknown (2001) Tartan (R1 & R2 UK) / enterOne (R3 South Korea) Atlanta Contents Group (R3 South Korea)

Nabbeun namja / Bad Guy (2001) Pro-Active Entertainment (R1) / Tartan (R2 UK) / CJ Entertainment (R3 South Korea) / Winson (R3 HK)

Hae anseon / The Coast Guard (2002) Tartan (R1 & R2 UK) / enterOne (R3 South Korea)

Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom / Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter… and Spring (2003) Columbia (R1) / Tartan (R2 UK) / Bitwin (R3 South Korea)

Samaria / Samaritan Girl (2004) Tartan (R1 & R2 UK) / Panorama (R3 HK) / Starmax (R3 South Korea)

Bin-jip / 3-Iron (2004) Sony Pictures (R1) / Optimum (R2 UK) / Panorama (R3 HK) / Bitwin (R3 South Korea)

Hwal / The Bow (2005) Tartan (R1 & R2 UK) / KD Media (R3 South Korea)

Shi gan / Time (2006) Koch Vision (R1) / KD Media (R3 South Korea) / CN Entertainment (R3 HK)

Soom / Breath (2007) Taewon Entertainment (R3 South Korea) / CN Entertainment (R3 HK)

Bi-mong / Dream (2008)

Forum Resources

Kim Ki-duk on DVD

Recommended Web Resources

Koreanfilm.org

Wikipedia

Senses of Cinema

MoMA

Yes Asia article

* This thread initiated and co-compiled by Lino

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks, Sharph! And just to start things going, here's the trailer for his latest, Dream. Enjoy.

Cabiria21

#3 Post by Cabiria21 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 pm

You should add the R4 Madman DVD for The Isle.

Lino

Re: Kim Ki-duk

#4 Post by Lino » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 am

I finished watching Ki-duk's latest, Dream a few hours ago. It was the first movie of 2009 for me (the last one for 2008 being Let The Right One In and yes, I feel spoiled) and I'm glad I watched it. Very glad, actually.

The thing with Ki-duk's movies is that they give me a chance to escape the general mediocrity of today's storytelling and really enjoy what a distinctive original voice he really is. And this movie proved no exception. This time around, the two main characters are very vocally active, as opposed to the usual Ki-duk (anti)hero or heroine. To go into the story would be a bit difficult for me right now because the dust is still settling down but you could say that at the gist of the story is that little tale about the emperor and the butterfly that you can also find in Coppola's Youth Without Youth: the emperor that dreams he's a butterfly that dreams it's an emperor. At least, that's the meaning I took out of it. So, yes the story gets a bit confusing but he nevertheless treats us to another cryptic ending that always manages to lift his every story to a higher realm of understanding.

Oh, and top marks for the very colorful cinematography (there's real care on evidence in every shot) and the musical score, extremely romantic but in a relaxed kind of way.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Lino wrote:I finished watching Ki-duk's latest...

The thing with Ki-duk's movies...

...as opposed to the usual Ki-duk (anti)hero or heroine.
Isn't his surname 'Kim'?

(Still, at least you didn't call him 'Duk' - I once read a toe-curling piece on Chow Yun-Fat that referred to him as 'Fat' throughout!)

thirtyframesasecond

#6 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Not seen any Kim Ki Duk but was very intrigued to hear that "Dream" was getting a one-off showing in London as part of the Terracotta Far East Film Festival.

Unfortunately the 23rd May is the one day I can't make it!

2pm, Prince Charles Cinema for anyone who's interested - am I severely missing out?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm