Ingmar Bergman

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
lord_clyde

#101 Post by lord_clyde » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 pm

How about this one?
miless wrote:
Barmy wrote:Antonioni is the greatest living director. Duh.
I actually meant that they're almost dead

Barmy

#102 Post by Barmy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:05 pm

I think that's the post that made them realize it was time to go.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#103 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:49 am

Jeff wrote:If there is one good thing to come from the death of great artists, it is often that more people become exposed to and aware of their work.
Death as a good career move?? Well it worked for Elvis.

Seems tailor made for a You Tube reworking of Seventh Seal's chess game.

lord_clyde

#104 Post by lord_clyde » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:58 am

Barmy wrote:I think that's the post that made them realize it was time to go.
Just don't say anything about Suzuki.

Polybius

#105 Post by Polybius » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:21 am

Adrian Lyne is the greatest living Director.

*waits patiently*

Oedipax

#106 Post by Oedipax » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 am

I mean, I love Jacob's Ladder and all, but...

dadaistnun

#107 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:22 pm

[quote="Variety"]Bergman archive in jeopardy
Execs need $600k to digitize director's papers
By GUNNAR REHLIN

Lack of coin has put the future of the Ingmar Bergman archive in jeopardy, just a few days after the multihyphenate's death.

The annual budget for the archive is 2 million kroner ($250,000), provided by the Swedish government. But execs say they need $600,000 more to digitize Bergman's papers. His early notes are written on paper so thin that it is almost impossible to leaf through them.

There is also uncertainty as to whether the government will continue to back the archive, which employs five staffers, after the current round of funding ends in February.

The archive was founded by the Swedish Film Institute in collaboration with the Royal Dramatic Theater, pubcaster Swedish Television and Nordic producer-distrib Svensk. Profits from the performances of Bergman plays at the Royal Dramatic Theater go to the archive.

The archive's Astrid Soderberg-Widing said: “I think we will be able to keep the archive and the webpage running, but to digitize the archives, we need at least another $600,000. It's an international scandal that the Swedish state does not seem interested in providing the money we lack.â€

Roger_Thornhill

#108 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Maybe Scorsese can lend them the dough they need? He loves Bergman's work.

MichaelB

#109 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Roger_Thornhill wrote:Maybe Scorsese can lend them the dough they need? He loves Bergman's work.
There's another New York-based filmmaker who's quite keen as well. Can't remember his name offhand.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#110 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Roger_Thornhill wrote:Maybe Scorsese can lend them the dough they need? He loves Bergman's work.
There's another New York-based filmmaker who's quite keen as well. Can't remember his name offhand.
Abel Ferrara?? Jonas Mekas??

tavernier

#111 Post by tavernier » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:58 pm

It's got to be Allen Stewart Königsberg.

Barmy

#112 Post by Barmy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Isabella Rosselini?

Cold Bishop

#113 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm

No, the neurotic, nebbish one with the glasses. What do you call him? Oh yeah... Spike Lee.

anton

#114 Post by anton » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:53 pm

ewww, how tacky! the dude wasnt even cold yet.

Hint: swedish government intradepartment budget haggles starts mid-september. All gov agencies and various semi-official entities are on their toes, trying to scrape more tax money to their respective always-empty bucket. Politruks are wooed, marriage vows broken, lots of fairy promises made that will die a slow consensus committee death come delivery time as the may flowers bloom.

Its a culture holocaust I say! Show me the money!

Matt

#115 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Oh, god. There are so many things in that short article that give this former archivist agita. Chief among them, no one's documents need to be digitized. It's a nice (and very trendy) thing to do, but digitization is not equivalent to preservation. It's an access method and one not "needed" to "save" the archives.

exte

#116 Post by exte » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:20 pm

Matt wrote:
Oh, god. There are so many things in that short article that give this former archivist agita. Chief among them, no one's documents need to be digitized. It's a nice (and very trendy) thing to do, but digitization is not equivalent to preservation. It's an access method and one not "needed" to "save" the archives.
Is that always the case? None of the photos my father has taken over the decades have been scanned, and I'd feel better if they were. I'm thinking high quality scans would be a great thing. Yes, you'd need to print them again, to have them as they were, but if I never scanned them to begin with?

tryavna

#117 Post by tryavna » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:05 pm

exte wrote:
Matt wrote:
Is that always the case? None of the photos my father has taken over the decades have been scanned, and I'd feel better if they were. I'm thinking high quality scans would be a great thing. Yes, you'd need to print them again, to have them as they were, but if I never scanned them to begin with?
Scanning in those pictures, however, does nothing to preserve the original film negative. Think of it like the difference between simply making a film available on DVD and actually restoring the original film negative. Reprinting photos from a scanned/digitized archive is not the same thing as developing them from the original film.

Matt is quite right. "Jeopardy" is not the right word to describe the Bergman archive. If we were talking about a 19th century author or politician whose correspondence was literally crumbling into dust, that would be something else. Simply digitizing Bergman's correspondence has more to do with convenience for scholars/critics who can't afford to travel to Sweden.

s.j. bagley

#118 Post by s.j. bagley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:38 am

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if that UK 30-disc Bergman collection is worth picking up?

Magic Hate Ball

#119 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Holy shit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#120 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:45 pm

right now it's the only way to get Dreams, which is infuriating.

tavernier

#121 Post by tavernier » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Aren't the "Faro" docs only available in that box as well?

MichaelB

#122 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:04 pm

I picked it up about a week after he died, and think I struck lucky - the Amazon price had dropped to £143.99, but is now up to £209.99.

It's basically the Tartan Bergman DVDs in a presentation case (so transfers are generally pretty good if not quite up to Criterion level) - though, as you correctly observe, Dreams and Farodocument '79 are only available in the set.

And I didn't know this at the time of purchase, but the box is a limited edition of 1,000 copies - there's a certificate just inside the case.

s.j. bagley

#123 Post by s.j. bagley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:12 pm

Hmm, looks like it might be my second non-R1 purchase, after 'Satantango.'

broadwayrock

#124 Post by broadwayrock » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Uwish.co.uk are selling the Bergman boxset for £124.96.

I bought a George Stevens boxset from them last month for £10 when it normally retails for about £30 and Donnie Darko for £1.96 delivered, so they are legit.

Don't expect the price to stay that way for long though. Their prices tend to fluctuate, but they alway honour the low prices.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#125 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:28 pm

it's worth noting that a good number of recent Tartan Bergman titles are not included in the set, so if you're looking for say Eva, it might be easier to just pick up individual titles to fill your collection.