Werner Herzog Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Werner Herzog Collection

#276 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Still haven't bought the Herzog set -- because I just can't decide which one to get -- US or UK.

EddieLarkin

#277 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:30 pm

If it helps, every single film that is featured on both sets are given superior presentation in the UK one, in a few cases drastically so.

What A Disgrace

#278 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm wondering where the hell the other films are, myself. Are there any plans to release Even Dwarfs, Signs of Life, etc. in the UK?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#279 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:39 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I'm wondering where the hell the other films are, myself. Are there any plans to release Even Dwarfs, Signs of Life, etc. in the UK?
In the Shout! Factory thread, there was this exchange:
zedz wrote:
mteller wrote:
Calvin wrote:Hopefully, Shout release their exclusives (or, at least, Even Dwarfs Started Small) separately as the BFI set is too good a price to pass up. I wonder why neither set includes Signs of Life?
IIRC, Signs of Life was released on DVD by New Yorker, so it's probably a rights issue.
It was produced by Herzog's own production company, along with everything else, but for some reason it's always suffered a different distribution fate, and now seems to have slipped into critical neglect as a consequence. This would be a great title to lobby Criterion about, since it looks like it's currently OOP in R1.
I'd really like to see Signs of Life get a blu-ray release on either side of the pond - it's my favorite of Herzog's along with Aguirre.

criterion10

#280 Post by criterion10 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:46 pm

To briefly reiterate my question (which seems to have been relegated to the last page), was it ever stated if this BFI set (like many of their others) was limited? It's almost out of stock on Amazon UK, and I don't want to miss out on it (but would like to wait for it to drop below $80!).

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#281 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:57 pm

criterion10 wrote:To briefly reiterate my question (which seems to have been relegated to the last page), was it ever stated if this BFI set (like many of their others) was limited? It's almost out of stock on Amazon UK, and I don't want to miss out on it (but would like to wait for it to drop below $80!).
I'm not seeing anywhere I can find that it's a limited edition.

ZHansen

#282 Post by ZHansen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

I don't suppose there are any rumblings about a Vol. 2 from BFI? I finally pulled the trigger on this set (only about $40 right now from Amazon UK!) and am trying to decide if I can safely unload the two Anchor Bay sets, or if I should keep them for the stuff missing from the BFI set...

dda1996a

#283 Post by dda1996a » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:00 pm

There were never such rumblings. This wasn't a vol 1. and as far as I know all the films BFI had the rights to. You can pick up Shout! Factory Herzog box, which has some films the BFI doesn't and lacks some the BFI does.

M Sanderson

#284 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:59 am

So sad that Lessons of Darkness couldn't be included, turning up in the highly flawed Shout box only. Obviously the BFI set has a cut off point of around 1987. Different territories, different rights issues, or - you have to stop somewhere.

Wings of Hope is another I miss, when they reconstruct a woman's plane crash horror and subsequent jungle survival. Would've loved to see in HD.

Can't believe I still haven't bought this BFI set, which nonetheless has some of my very favourite films like Aguirre, Nosferatu, Woyzeck, Heart of Glass, etc.

rapta

#285 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:13 am

M Sanderson wrote:So sad that Lessons of Darkness couldn't be included, turning up in the highly flawed Shout box only. Obviously the BFI set has a cut off point of around 1987. Different territories, different rights issues, or - you have to stop somewhere.

Wings of Hope is another I miss, when they reconstruct a woman's plane crash horror and subsequent jungle survival. Would've loved to see in HD.

Can't believe I still haven't bought this BFI set, which nonetheless has some of my very favourite films like Aguirre, Nosferatu, Woyzeck, Heart of Glass, etc.
Oh, it's definitely one of the best box sets out there. The only downside is the packaging, which could have been so much better.

I too don't know why they couldn't get more than just these films. In the case of Wings of Hope, it could have been that they saw it as a companion piece to Little Dieter Needs to Fly which they couldn't get the rights to (Soda Pictures released it over here on DVD, along with Wheel of Time and The Wild Blue Yonder).

Still, doesn't explain why Even Dwarfs Started Small, Ballad of the Little Soldier, Where the Green Ants Dream, Lessons of Darkness, and My Best Fiend were omitted. Perhaps the BFI or someone else will release those here in the UK one day? Fingers crossed!

dda1996a

#286 Post by dda1996a » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:29 am

I'm fairly sure it's a rights issue and nothing else. I highly doubt BFI wouldn't have included them if they could

MichaelB

#287 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:23 am

I think Even Dwarfs Started Small was omitted because there was no chance of an uncut release in Britain. Previously, it had been substantially cut for animal cruelty as per the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act - so not a matter of internal BBFC policy.